The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > ETHICS.. Preference Utilitarianism and Peter Singer

ETHICS.. Preference Utilitarianism and Peter Singer

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. All
Hi AJ... I'd prefer the word 'proclaim' than preach :)

But I'd like you to consider for a moment a phrase you continue to use...

"It's a 'problem' for Christianity" etc.. Nope.. I see it as a problem for people. Christian Theology is fine. It declares that God is sovereign, and just.. no matter what. It's by virtue of his sovereign decree. After all..He is the Creator.

Our inclination to elevate ourselves to a platform from which to criticize the Creator is more a product of the last 30 years of brain demolishing done by the fight between firstly Freud and then his rebellious pupil Wilhelm Reich. They seem to have regarded our brains as some kind of academic playpen for their psychological fantasies.

There are many places where educated people simply do not even think of raising such questions toward God. Such questions, in my view are more a Post 60s Western phenomenon.

What think you ? (Those video's linked to earlier will help unfold this)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 28 January 2011 4:14:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not sure if we can trust the current law makers to set the rules and punishments for good human behaviour. Human responsibility of conscience seems to be ignored. Take the voluntary contribution thousands have made to flood victims, they are now enforced again to pay a tax above what they gave free willingly.

The law makers assume we are selfish and uncaring of others plight, when the great Aussie spirit reaches out to our brothers hurting. The principle of the 10 commandments is Love the highest aspects of character and your fellow humans as yourself. This calls for devotion to love; whereas AJ wants the enforcement of laws in Taliban style.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 28 January 2011 4:40:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Philo:

Most people have the same broad ethical principles. There is a consensus about what we do as a matter of fact and what we consider right and wrong: a consensus that prevails surprisingly widely. This consensus has no obvious connection with religion. It extends, however, to most religious people, whether or not they think their morals come from the scriptures. The majority of people don't cause needless suffering; they believe in free speech and protect it even if they disagree with what is being said, they pay their taxes, they don't cheat, kill, don't do things to others that they would not wish done to them.

Much has been said about the "Ten commandments." Various individuals and institutions have attempted to express their consensual ethics in a "New Ten Commandments." What is interesting is that they tend to produce similar results to each other and what they produce is characteristic of the times in which they happen to live. Here is one set of the "New Ten Commandments," from an atheist website.

1) Do not do to others what you would not want them to do to you.
2) In all things, strive to cause no harm.
3) Treat your fellow human beings, your fellow living things, and the world in general with love, honesty, faithfulness and respect.
4) Do not overlook evil or shrink from administering justice, but always be ready to forgive wrongdoing freely admitted and honestly regretted.
5) Live life with a sense of joy and wonder.
6) Always seek to be learning something new.
7) Test all things; always check your ideas against facts, and be ready to discard even a cherished belief if it does not conform to them.
8) Never seek to censor or cut yourself off from dissent; always respect the right of others to disagree with you.
9) Form independent opinions on the basis of your own reason and experience; do not allow yourself to be led blindly by others.
10) Question everything.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 28 January 2011 7:05:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I love history

It's how I first heard about

The Enlightenment
Posted by Shintaro, Friday, 28 January 2011 9:06:39 PM
Lexi,
Thanks for the principles you listed from the atheists creed. All those supported by those who uphold Christ teaching. The 10 commandments deals with social boundaries but Christ dealt with attitudes that go deeper than merely being law abiding. Love and respect cannot be identified by law, only by the heart. Every person can be guilty of hate, fear or disrespect; which makes us all guilty under conscience.
Posted by Philo, Saturday, 29 January 2011 7:46:11 AM
Philo,

I prefer to think that every person has a personal commitment to the atributes of fair play and integrity. That commitment must include our capacity to love each other as human beings, to remember we are brothers on this planet, and to surrender any thoughts we have to the contrary. May every nation and every people and evey colour and every
belief system, religious or other, find at last the one hearbeat we share. David f., has started a new discussion thread that might appeal to you, "We/they." I'm still thinking about it, but I shall add my comments later on.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 29 January 2011 10:16:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy