The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Opinion makers

Opinion makers

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Belly, interesting that perceived ABC bias is in the eyes of the beholder. Some see their reporting as left of centre, others see it as leaning to the right.

The following thread highlights some of the issues you raise.

<<And the ABC’s Drum beats: shoot the Wikileaks messenger: Comments
By Jennifer Wilson, published 14/12/2010>>

You have a couple of choices in relation to the ABC and much of the MSM.

Firstly, that they have an inherent agenda that steers both the news they selectively release and the opinion they offer on any given topic.

Secondly, that they “appear” to have changed their position due their “relative position” to the object. In the case of your example related to their “relative position” on ALP policy. Does this relate to your position on the topic, to the ALP’s position on the topic or has the ABC shifted? Either way it seems you have only recently become aware of something.

To me, the media seems to in an absolute mess. They don’t know what day it is. Thrashing around in a daze wondering what they should say and what they have said. A bit like a “pea in a colander” and not knowing which hole to go for?

This seems to have its roots in the Wikileaks saga. They seem to feel threatened more that seems rational. Especially the ABC, why
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 17 December 2010 9:50:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks all for the contributions.
We all have opinions and have spoken here about that.
But it is interesting on how we get those opinions.
Some opinion makers have less of an idea than we do.
In a radio National interview about a new coal mine it was clear.
The announcer from first word, took a firm stand against the mine.
I here and now say while I am not up to date with underground water and mining, I am unimpressed with anti mining in general.
Our announcer gave first blood to those who opposed the mine.
Constantly making comment that was openly questioning mining.
On getting to the mining company, wait for it, our commentator, the very person who had been displaying his understanding of all sides of the issue said this.
Quote did you say that the coal had to be washed? that changes every thing, I have never heard of coal being washed? end quote.
Some people too many form opinions based on such a persons words.
ABC has always been the best, and every side claims it is biased ,against them.
It is true, of different announcers and at different times.
I challenge any off us, to listen for one week to ABC radio.
I think some opinions are near universal,it is better than other radio.
It is more informative.
But biased , very much so in some who work the mike.
And rather uniformed comment, not unlike other media, is rampart.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 December 2010 1:22:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An opinion maker can be an Innocent fool or a very crafty con man both types harvest your opinions.
Maybe in the first case not on purpose.
But we are in the business of being informed,even when we do not know it.
Wikileaks did not drive my thoughts here spin doc.
I have lived a life of seeing spin take the place of policy and deliberate farming of my opinion, I feel strong enough to look deeper before buying it.
Most recently I here, in OLO,, made a fool off myself,I bought hook line and sinker Mr Kevin Rudd.
I truly thought he was the man I sold here.
He is Brother to Mark Latham,a shadow,a man who never truly existed.
I watch with concern another not unlike him selling himself as something he is not.
Let us however keep it open, opinion makers are not all liars, some try to teach us the truth some try to help.
To understand opinion we must understand our personal education must never stop.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 December 2010 1:42:45 PM
Belly, my son worked at the ABC for about 1o years.
When he started there someone he already knew and was a friend advised him to not tell anyone if he voted liberal.
It is a definate no no if you want to progress in your career there.
They have a saying at the ABC that the only ones in the closet are
liberal voters.

Your assumption that it is the presenters that impose their view is incorrect.
The blame resides with the production team, a real
collection of trendies.
The news readers work from prescripted text which is displayed on a
screen below the camera. However people like Tony Jones cannot work
live that way as they cannot know how the conversation will progress.
So the bias displayed by Tony Jones is all his own.
However it is marvelous what can be done in the editorring suite.

Coal washing is common. I think it is done to reduce dust,
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 17 December 2010 1:56:36 PM
A lot of ABC bashing here guys, two pages in fact, and yet only one clear example of the bias you're claiming.

Reports exist from all over the world of mining companies exploiting their workforce and cutting corners on environmental protection and the health and safety of their workers and of the local communities affected by the mine. It's hardly indicative of bias that after yet another accident thinking journalists might direct some of their questioning along these lines.

Belly, the point you were making regarding the reporting of the asylum seeker tragedy didn't seem to be spelled out very clearly. Bit difficult to refute a point so poorly made. Didn't stop Bazz though from jumping in and claiming he has the answers. It's far too early for anyone to be making sweeping pronouncements just yet. As with most issues, there are many factors that have contributed to this tragedy and it will take time to sort through them.

And of course while the commercial media move on to the next big story, it will be left as always to the journalists at the ABC to do the real probing.
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 17 December 2010 2:37:03 PM
Bronwyn welcome back.
I like your contributions we do not always agree,such is life stay please.
I am ALP forever and know the ABC is biased, in every direction depending on who has the mike,would you expect any difference ?
First my constant jabs at my side are because I care,read others one sided views only the other side gets it wrong.
Or the my team right or wrong and know such is a brick wall blocking improvements change in any party.
That word solidarity is a lie to stop investigation of one sides sins.
Mid north coast NSW .
ABC morning commentator, you just knew he was going to give air time to a local ALP member.
Mate ship flowed like wine, but in the real world that member had a fan club of one, himself, and was chucked out of the party.
Now commentator interviewed me, in regard to public service my hobby club was providing.
He left baffled , after he called[ in union shirt,sleep in them]comrade I bent both his ears in explain the word is meaningless I have brothers sisters mates but no comrades.
Bronwyn let truth clean up the ABC but it remains my radio and TV choice I Have learned this truth if you do not have Aussie male cow product detector get one.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 December 2010 5:58:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy