The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 50 dead asylum seekers - A direct foreseeable result of Labor's lax immigration policy.

50 dead asylum seekers - A direct foreseeable result of Labor's lax immigration policy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
Nairbe mate...where in the wide world did you get

*a racist hateful policy.* from runners very sound argument?

What was 'racist' about Nauru ? Nothing. What's racist about 'racially neutral' border protection?

Where do you get 'hate' from ? ? ?

Next thing you will be telling parents who give their children 'time-out' for disobedience "Hateful"....

C'mon..you can do much much better.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Thursday, 16 December 2010 12:19:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Lexi, over the past few days severe storms, high seas and lightning has inundated the islands and both tips of Australia, which hampered the ability to pick up and act quickly as customs and patrols normally do when assylum carrying boats approach Australia.

If the conditions were not present over the past few days, these families may well have moored safe and sound.
Posted by we are unique, Thursday, 16 December 2010 4:36:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
looks like justice to me.

Maybe this will put the hordes off from coming to 'soft touch Australia'.
Posted by Austin Powerless, Thursday, 16 December 2010 5:21:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shadow Minister:

Let's look at the facts. England under Blair, Australia under Howard,
and the US under George W. Bush decided that they needed a war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Wars cause refugees who flee their countries to escape the inflicted terror. So what do you expect when asylum seekers in desperation seek safety and a life for their families in any country that will accept them. It is unfortunate that Australia happens to be so close to Southern Asia which is the only route they can take. So no matter what the government in Australia as long as the wars caused by the US and its allies continue the refugee problem will continue to exist. As for the claim that the Howard government stopped the boats from coming - that is a stunningly ignorant statement when we know full well that the situation in the war zones had slightly improved and there were not that many refugees heading in our direction. As for how many refugees we should take from Indonesia? That as you well know depends on our immigration policy.
Keep in mind that those escaping terror and persecution are not versed or educated on Australian government immigration policies. They just want to get away from the disaster zone. When there's a fire
the people in harm's way are not going to study fire-safety policies or manuals and follow directions where they should go. They will simply want to escape the fire. And those that hesitated as we well know during the last fires in Victoria died. These people are desperate people who are willing to risk their lives and those of their families to get away from the disaster. During the fires people have been burned in their cars while trying to escape. Should they have not been living in the bush?

The PM has issued a complete and thorough investigation of the Christmas Island tragedy. Despite the world publicity on the dangers at sea the refugees keep coming. Obviously the message doesn't get through - or is totally ignored by desperate people.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 16 December 2010 5:58:54 PM
Shadow,
Yes the relaxing of the policy made the decision to resume boats easier but if you don't understand that the previous policy was a stop gap while the smugglers worked out the system then you are fooling yourself.

AL,
Yes a hateful racist policy.
We are Australians, we are on the whole people who have come here in desperation looking for a chance. A policy of segregation of those arriving in desperation and treating them as scum in off shore prisons while many who truly jump the que by flying in are free to wait it out in the community is appalling. Never forget we created their hell by starting unwinnable and uncontrollable wars in their countries. Iraq is destine for disaster and Afghanistan has never been conquered. The Afghan people must fear the withdrawal of the invaders and the inevitable over through of the puppet government to return to fundamentalism. Racist because i will not be swayed that if they were a boat load of white zimbabweans we would welcome them with open arms. A country that won't accept that it invaded and stole a country has no chance of understanding what racism is.
Posted by nairbe, Thursday, 16 December 2010 7:18:02 PM
I don't see how we can blame anybody else for these deaths other than the people smugglers. I am sure the asylum seekers did not undergo these journeys with drowning in mind.

The people smugglers no doubt told them all would be well... and took the payment from the asylum seekers gladly.

My only hope is that the people smugglers on that boat are suitably shattered at the outcome of their disgusting trade- if they are alive.

I remember other threads on this forum, not so long ago, where many respondents carried on about the terrible policies of the Howard Government for dissuading boat people arriving on our shores, and how wonderful the Labour government were for relaxing the immigration rules for these boat people.

I remember saying that I abhorred the people smuggling trade because they put people's lives in danger.
I was howled down for being 'uncaring' towards the asylum seekers.

I truly wish now that I was wrong.
Very sad pictures of the boat tragedy haunt me today.
Posted by suzeonline, Thursday, 16 December 2010 10:32:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12