The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christmas Joy!

Christmas Joy!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Christmas...Christ-mass is a wonderful time to reflect on the reality of:

6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

the 'child' which did come, and brought with him this further fulfilment, spoken by Jesus himself in a synagogue:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.

For those interested in 'important details' that quote is from Isiaah 61 the FULL quote goes finishes like THIS!

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,

Notice how Jesus deliberately did NOT use the last line of the quote?
"Day of Vengence"
This is important in understanding the mission of Jesus which was to bring light and salvation to the world, not Judgement. (at that time)

SO...Christ-mass is a celebration of a new situation for the world, the partitioning of History, the transition from the Old Covenant of Law, to the New Covenant of Grace.

John 3:16 says it all "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son,....that whoever believes in Him will not perish (day of Vengence) but will have everlasting life. (The Lords Favor)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Saturday, 11 December 2010 5:32:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OUG cheer up bloke, never know if you are pulling our leg or not.
No credit here mate, that jar kept all year has about 1300 in it it will be empty but family full.
no over spending no gifts,that may surprise but I as eldest have not had a gift from age 12, too many others came first.
Now do not be sad, I put that in place,and my family's company is the greatest gift.
And just maybe I have been shamed into cooking a late pudding and few fruit cakes, watch the rum I am told.
My observers need to watch the port love to sneak a bottle or two in.
Brother does any other cooking and gee it is fun if we both start drinking too early, but tastes good.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 11 December 2010 5:35:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AGIR:

I've been waiting for you to pop up in this thread. And Thanks for the quotes. However, I was hoping that you'd share your family's Christmas traditions with us. Perhaps next time?

Belly:

It sounds like you've been receiving the greatest gift of all, all these years. That of seeing the light and joy you've brought to a child's eye. As you said, it is all about family - and by the sound of it - yours are very lucky to have you. Happy cooking (and drinking)!
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 11 December 2010 5:47:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OMG Nairbe! You have 10 year old twins and 11 year old twins?
This would be such a busy time for you.
I take my hat off to you :)

I am not into the baby Jesus mindset, but am always happy to join in with the holiday spirit because it has always been a family get-together for our family.

The kids are on holiday from school, and it is summer!
What's not to like?
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 11 December 2010 6:09:24 PM
Suze:

It sounds like you're on the right path - what's not to like indeed!I remember how much I looked forward to the end of school break and family holidays. Very special time of the year - as you said, it's summer... we used to catch the ferry to Manly on Sundays and spend the day at the beach, or take in a movie matinee - Saturday afternoons, or visit friends and relatives. And at Christmas - the get together lunch was at our house. Memories are made of things like this.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 11 December 2010 6:18:55 PM
yeah..me too belly
i was going to..stay away from this topic..this year
but when i heard of the qld deneyal of working types..any xmass extra pay...[let alone a bankers type bonus]..mate i just could help my self

im looking for the right spirit
but can only work with the ones my own thoughts attract
lets face it the grimps/grumps..ebony/scrouge macducks..love their succor of misery too..

its just for me if its not about jesus
then all them fake beards must be a clue

mate i got 40 xmass records/lps..everything from bonanza xmass
to ol bling cosby..even the moremackle quior...but the spirit...isnt there

its being with ya loved ones
giving mum a break...saying its salids this year mum
or prawn's on the beach..[leave after 2 pm...and all the sunbrunt ones have gone home...have a bbq..on the beach..all alone..[and no rush hour traffic]..this is time for mum...jesus...and the kids

then sitting back with a six pack...for two
lots of fruit juices...and stone fruit..watermelon too

dont buy chip at the beach..or salid bar
[the workers need a break too]

and while were at it..drive safely
the emergency worker.. need their break too

this is a time that spirit enjoys most
heaven..[even hell] stops..for this one
when its the family time..ALL THE FAMILY COMES THROUGH

the big putche
is of course next years...xmass

where WE all get it right...its about getting together
not finnishing the fight

anyhow just got to get past this one for now
invite that lonely person to join in..

or just do something more..than say swear-words

merry xmass..is an attack..if your not merry
we know now..what a ho is

ay?

so xmass is a time for thinking..*together
talking..sharing..

not for getting drunk..or revenge

remember ww1
they even called off..the war

thats what xmass...really is for
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 12 December 2010 2:23:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy