The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Drivers License as Identification.

Drivers License as Identification.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
We all have been asked to prove we are who we say we are.
Why are we asked mostly for our drivers license?
Not long ago truck drivers had two, maybe three, hard as it now is some still do.
Doubt they can have so many drivers log books but how can a Federal government department trust that document more than a handful of others.
Dislike my privacy being pushed by such.
But having produced my rates bill power phone, birth certificate, purchase and deeds for my home, medi care card Bank statement and card , the list goes on, could only be excepted after I gave them my drivers license why?
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 27 November 2010 1:22:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly:

Just a guess, but is it because a license has a photo ID? Some people don't drive and don't have a driver's license and frequently have great difficulty in proving their identity. Another alternative si a national passport but not everyone has one and many who do - they're out of date. I believe that in the past a National ID Card with a photo has been proposed but repeatitive governments have rejected it due to the fact that it wasn't popular with the voters.

Maybe we should have a similar identity-kit to that of the queen and have our image on the back of a coin? (joking, sorry - couldn't resist it). :-)
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 28 November 2010 11:53:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Belly,

This comes up in my line of work all the time,
and Lexi's comment is on the mark. It's all about
photographic identification and signature, and your driver's licence
is the most common document most people have that displays both.
For those who don't have a driver's licence, State
governments issue "proof of age" cards that perform
the same function.

Interestingly, under the Privacy Act the only people
who can demand to see your driver's licence are the Police.
Technically, when you show your driver's licence, typically
as part of a 100-point ID check, you are doing so voluntarily
in order to establish your bona fides with an organisation,
in order to access goods and/or services that they provide.

There are always alternatives to showing your driver's licence
for identification purposes, but they're usually not as convenient.
Posted by talisman, Sunday, 28 November 2010 12:10:24 PM
Well Lexi it is true, both the photo and that they tried to get a national card in the past.
Hawk was the PM and prime mover in wanting it, I stood against it then maybe not now.
It was to be called the Australian card.
A hero public servant won that fight.
It ,or whatever we get, most likely the new Medicare card will be miss used too.
On ending my work I have seen some real silly over kill.
My Super fund got these documents from me, remember I am an existing member who identifies my self on entering scheme.
birth certificate, copy of rates notice, purchase details of my home, at least 8 other documents including photo of me on a right of entry card .
Only My license sealed the deal.
Right now, believe me, about 8% of interstate truck drivers have two licenses, in different names.
And no doubt real criminals can do what they did, get a fake license without a problem.
So reluctant as I am it may be time for the ID card for every one to be introduced.
Maybe the micro chip in the wrist.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 28 November 2010 12:22:07 PM
Thanks talisman,and welcome.
I was putting my post together at the time you had yours under way.
What are those other ways please.
The 100 points apply to nearly every b card I produced and it is my understanding the police of my state and the RTA are the only people who have every right to my license.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 28 November 2010 12:38:51 PM
Talisman:

Thanks for the information. I will pass it on at work. We should know about the alternatives that exist out there.

Belly:

I feel for you having to produce ID for something that you've been a part of for so many years. Gets a bit impersonal doesn't it? Who knows what the future holds for any of us in this department. With new technology surely there must be a better way because as you said getting a fake driver's license is no trouble for some people.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 28 November 2010 12:57:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy