The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > smacking children

smacking children

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Ive said it before.... hitting kids is assault.
The same as hitting an adult. Actually it is worse.
It is illogical in the extreme to say that it is not. Or to refer to children as "animals who cannot be dealt with except through violence". Which is exactly what you are saying when you say it is the only way to get small children to understand.
I am appalled that some of you see your toddlers as no better than a dog. Children are not your possessions they are your responsibility.
If your child is sucking on power points, walking on roads etc etc then it is you that is failing and should be punished not your child.
Posted by mikk, Friday, 26 November 2010 12:23:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a kid I would have preferred a good smack that was over and done with than a verbal tirade of abuse and character assassination. A smack is a simple message easily understood rather than an exercise in emotional trauma.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 26 November 2010 12:52:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houel:”As a kid I would have preferred a good smack that was over and done with than a verbal tirade of abuse and character assassination. A smack is a simple message easily understood rather than an exercise in emotional trauma.”

Oh well yeah if we go down that road I would rather a smack then say my finger nails being ripped out as a "lesson".

Runner:”What you find is a few smacks early on prevent a lot more drugs later on.”

I don’t believe you really believe that. Be great if life was that simple eh.

Well said Mikk.

Huggins babe, you really gotta move.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Friday, 26 November 2010 1:11:09 PM
Kudos Mikk and Pied Piper.

I never raised a hand to my daughter - tempted yes, managed to keep to very firm voice. I think as a male I have advantages - I do great deep firm gravitas, whereas my ex tends towards shrill, though she never smacked our little girl either.

At 12 and highly intelligent I am finding her more of a challenge than ever - hate to admit it, but suspect she is way smarter than her old man. Arguments are more like high level debates - and she's Geoffrey Robertson and I am challenged greatly (which is another way of saying I feel like a dolt). We both share a similar temperament, quick to flare up but then we cool off and can actually talk. I hope as she journeys further into her teen years that she will still see me as approachable as she does now. So much pressure on young teens - like I don't want her getting the "woman as object" thing - she is her own person. Although I loathed the 'fairy costume' stage which lasted from 5 to 7!, at the same time she would climb trees and I mean at the same time - have a great shot of her sitting in a willow tree in fairy dress - too cute.

Hitting someone smaller, weaker and dependent on you - I can't believe the Runners and their ilk - you lot are either sadists or control freaks or both.

How approachable do kids who have been slapped find their parents I wonder? If they aren't comfortable talking to their parents aren't they more likely to wind up turning to others who may not have their best interests at heart? I was lucky, I had an aunt I knew I could always confide in, who do the children abused by their parents turn to?
Posted by Johnny Rotten, Friday, 26 November 2010 1:54:35 PM
Smacking should be available but rarely used.
Unless on those parents who scream and shout at the child and do nothing else.
Such kids know shouted words can not hurt and ignore parent after a while.
Mum would not let dad smack us, but we got away with hell once we knew she would let us.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 26 November 2010 3:21:43 PM
So much garbage!

Lexi, your Dr Ginott is the bloke who's advice you should avoid at all costs. Most of these people think of self, when suggesting responses. His is just the type of vindictive person you don't want to listen to.

Then all this pontificating as if one size fits all, more garbage.

I have one daughter I had to handle with kid gloves. A serious frown would destroy her.

I have another who would have ignored any physical punishment, less than crippling. She spent a lot of time in her room.

I have a son who, if sent to their room would have simply found a computer to rebuild, or some such interesting outlet.

Yes he got a few smacks, but he also chased cattle, played polocrosse, & built cars with me, & still comes home regularly to help out. He also enjoys long interstate drives to shows with me in the old cars we love.

The thing that gets me is the cr4p sprouted by the "you must not" brigade, as if one size fits all, & they know all the answers. The fact that they are so one eyed shows they know nothing.

Little wonder that so many kids from "good" homes go very bad.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 26 November 2010 3:30:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy