The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > smacking children

smacking children

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Where I live the same ppl who bash theyr kid's also bash theyre partner's (Men AND Woman!)
Posted by Huggins, Friday, 26 November 2010 10:23:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aw Hasbeen it’s Friday, I don’t wanna do a thing about which generation was worst than the last.

They just keep getting bigger with more access to communication, not worse from what I can tell.

Why didn’t you lot stop the sooky experts? Slackers!

Aussy why three? Why not 7 or 38?

R0bert the problem is you don’t have a crystal ball to see if no smacks would have been better than some smacks.

Nice Pat. :)
Posted by The Pied Piper, Friday, 26 November 2010 10:27:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dr H. Ginott many years ago wrote the book - "Teacher and Child:
A Book for Parents and Teachers." in it he has a marvellous chapter on
discipline which may be of interest on this discussion topic. Dr Ginott tells readers that:

"Misbehaviour and punishment are not opposites that cancel each other; on the contrary, they breed and reinforce each other. Punishment does not deter misconduct. When a child is punished he resolves to be more careful, not more honest and responsible."

"One high school student related: "Our teacher gave a long sermon on integrity. I listened and laughed inside. She herself teaches dishonesty and doesn't know it. I was late to school once because I overslept. She said, "That's not a good excuse," and she punished me.
I got the message. The next time I was late. I made up a convincing story."

Accordin to Dr Ginott -

"Punishment fails to achieve its goal. No child says to himself, while being punished, "I am going to improve. I am going to be a better person - more responsible, generous, and loving." Children know that punishment is rarely administered for their benefit, that it serves the needs of the punishing adult."

"Parents ask, "Don't children have to be taught responsibility and respect, if not by persuasion, then by punishment?" Ethical concepts such as responsibility, respect, loyalty, honesty, charity, mercy cannot be taught directly. They can only be learned in concrete life situations from people one respects. One grows into virtue; one cannot be forced by punishment."

Discipline, like surgery, requires precision - no random cuts, no rambling comments. A parent demonstrates self-discipline and good manners - no tantrums, no insults, no blistering language. A parent's authority comes from competent exercise of personal persuasion. Their
best weapons are a cultured distaste for violence and a civilized disbelief in punishment. For in the last analysis, who is a true disciplinarian? The person who can move children from terror to trust.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 26 November 2010 10:39:39 AM
Robert

'runner your passion for smacking is scary.'

Don't be scared mate, my kids have gone on to achieve highly at uni, sport and in the workplace. The social engineers have been proven completely wrong. What is scary is those who have a 'passion' to lead their kids to believe their are no consequences for bad. behaviour. That is largely why we have the violence today among teens and young adults. What you find is a few smacks early on prevent a lot more drugs later on.
Posted by runner, Friday, 26 November 2010 11:04:10 AM
runner "What is scary is those who have a 'passion' to lead their kids to believe their are no consequences for bad. behaviour."

That I agree with. My concern is with making smacking the issue rather than the purpose of discipline.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 26 November 2010 11:10:40 AM
King James Bible
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
Posted by csteele, Friday, 26 November 2010 11:34:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy