The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Amanda and her new song.

Amanda and her new song.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Celivia, sure am! Look, I'm not trying to say that nothing negative should be allowed to be voiced, just that every now and then it does us all good to sit back and smell the eucalypts.

20:20 hindsight is a wonderful tool and makes it so easy to criticise the actions of the past. I look to the management of the Murray River and have a good laugh. Around the rice growing area of Deniliquin 10-15 years ago there was massive panic about rising water tables, and the area was going to be dead and salt-ridden. Lots of drainage schemes were put in place, and lo and behold, now the cry is that the water tables are too low! About 4 years ago the Barmah forest was flooded on purpose to water the trees, but the twit that decided to do this ignored the fact that doing so turned the water rancid (due to the dead vegetation), and killed off a heap of fish when it flowed back into the river. Usually this only happens in a flood year, and so there is enough flow in the river to compensate for the rancid, deoxygenated water that re-enters the river.

My point is, that we all thought at the time that the right thing was being done. Its a bit like all the reversions that are done in the health industry - "dont eat red meat, its bad for you", then "make sure you eat enough red meat, its essential".

Its very easy to critisise.
Posted by Country Gal, Monday, 12 February 2007 10:37:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Coutry Gal, thanks and sorry for the late reply.

“I'm not trying to say that nothing negative should be allowed to be voiced, just that every now and then it does us all good to sit back and smell the eucalypts.”
Oh, that's all good, 'coz I just do my criticising underneath the tree then.
Seriously, I'm just worried that our future generations won’t miss out on the beauty of nature that we have always taken for granted.

Thanks for explaining the 2020 hindsight thing and it is very true that this happens a lot.
But on the other hand, not all neglect and mistakes relate to hindsight; the government failed to deal with obvious environmental issues which they were completely aware of by deliberately putting things off and denying issues.

But there's hope, accoring to Amanda, for she says that 'we' are finally gonna build for the future. Question is: When?

Anyway, I can put what you and others have said in this thread all into perspective - this is a discussion on some lyrics and I’ve made my point and won’t go on about this anymore or people might think I like criticising ;)
I suppose if people love Amanda’s lyrics I gotta let ‘em love it.

Yes, it is indeed easy to criticise, but it’s a lot of fun, too. (Homer Simpson’s words).
Posted by Celivia, Thursday, 15 February 2007 12:11:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy