The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Record number of asylum seekers arrive while Julia's off shore processing gets the cold shoulder.

Record number of asylum seekers arrive while Julia's off shore processing gets the cold shoulder.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
"Asylum seekers & a large %age of non-genuine refugees."

How would you know whether they they are genuine or not? You wouldn't have the faintest idea.

Actually the issue is not compassion versus genuineness.

The issue is that those urging compassion are urging policies that force everyone else to pay for their values.

The solution is to require those advocating "compassion" to foot the bill. In other words, those who want to, can sponsor as many as they want.

If they resist, it means it's not about compassion at all, it's all about their desire to preen themselves on how wonderfully caring they are - at others' expense.

I welcome refugees and would happily sponsor some myself.

Also, it is disingenuous to urge the government to turn the boats back. The reason they are coming onshore is because *we* have signed a treaty saying we won't return them if they make their claim onshore without first assessing their claim.

They are merely taking us at our word. If we don't want to keep our word, we should have the honesty to withdraw from the Convention, not turn the boats back.
Posted by Jefferson, Friday, 5 November 2010 3:55:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nairbe says: This is Australia and apparently we are caring and decent people,...

Mate... the way things are now is evidence that we are stupid gullible people who don't know one end of a political scam from the other.

Immigration is ALways about 'votes'...and very little to do with compassion. (no matter how they posture themselves.)

SOLUTION (Shadow Minister...listen up)

CHARGE THE CAPTAINS AND CREWS WITH PEOPLE SMUGGLING AND JAIL THEM FOR 10 YRS AND ADVERTIZE IT FARRRRR AND WIDE IN INDONESIA.

I think that will stop the boats.

Nothing else will.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 5 November 2010 6:55:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An interesting article in yesterday’s Australian newspaper:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/agents-promise-tamils-boats-to-australia/story-e6frg6so-1225948082054
Note these points:
--“it was the first case in recent times of asylum-seekers leaving from South India for Australia”.
--“Counter-terrorism expert Rohan Gunaratna told the paper that Australia and Canada were rated by the Tigers as 'the two softest countries'".
(It is particularly interesting since it’s occurring at a time when the UN is facilitating the return of refugees to Sri Lanka http://www.unhcr.org/4c657ec69.html )

And here’s another angle:
“ According to Canada's Attorney-General, Rob Nicholson, 63,000 refugees ordered to be deported are still in the country and 41,000 have gone missing.”

Highly pertinent because we are being told, almost daily, that the humane thing to do would be to release the illegal’s into the Australian community while their applications are being processed --- OF COOOOURSE THEY WOUNDN’T ABSCOND!
“41,000 have gone missing”

Agree with Jefferson –withdraw from the convention. I suspect once one nation does, there would be a stampede for the doors
—and a commensurate DECREASE in the number of unsolicited phone calls, like this: “Hello my name is Amin -- I am a refugee, and I am calling you from off Ashmore Reef on my Iphone --please send your patrol boat to rescue me”
Posted by Horus, Saturday, 6 November 2010 7:03:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner when people have whinged to me in regard to the amount the government spends on welfare every fortnight I consider how lucky we are to get a cash injection into the economy every two weeks, even if it is taxpayer money. The sobering part for me in regard to the Motel owners getting full occupancy via the illegals is that it is being paid for with borrowed money. This government is still 90 billion in debt.
Posted by sonofgloin, Saturday, 6 November 2010 10:29:21 AM
whether they they are genuine or not? You wouldn't have the faintest idea.
Jefferson,
I'm not proclaiming to have vast experience in this but I have the experience of speaking with a people smuggler or rather transporter. This chap told me that, albeit in rather broken english, on a beach in a country north of Australia that he had done 4 trips to the west coast of Cape York with illegals who each paid him more than he could earn as a fisherman in three years. As far as I could deduce he didn't consider them as poor refugees. On his return trips he'd been detained at both Weipa & Nhulunbuy, received full medical, got money whilst detained & then deported at no cost. He told me with a grin from ear to ear that the loss of the boat is calculated into the risk assessment hence only worn-out boats are used.
A local fishing guide at Cape York told me some 12-15 years ago that whilst camped at a northern river he saw a large-ish boat with quite a few people on board sail south into the Gulf during a wet season rain squall very close to the beach. The same afternoon an unusual looking powerboat with only three occupants was speeding north. Several days later there was an oil slick along the beach.
I think that although I have not the faintest idea, as most other australians I think that the denialists have even less of a faintest idea, they have none.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 6 November 2010 12:58:05 PM
Quite simple really.
Individual tells us he knows every thing his opponents nothing.
Discussion ends, or is it evidence Indy has a problem.
I understand its under 6.000 in 12 months, actually would rather not one but not by drowning them or shooting them.
NOTE early in that post Indy told us, he does not know it all, then told the rest of us he was Right in any case, opinions are often a window.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 6 November 2010 2:09:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy