The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Families struggling with grocery prices

Families struggling with grocery prices

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
In my area of Sydney W & C stores are often in Westfields shopping centres where the rents are extremely high. While businesses like Aldi tend to be in low rent shopping complexes. Many years ago, more than 10, I recall an employee of Franklins saying they were paying $17,000 a week rent for a small store, compared to a Woolies or Coles store, in Westfields at Eastgardens. I could not believe it when I was told that the F&V market (now gone) in the same centre added $1 to nearly every kg sold for rent. Simply what they done was say, oranges work out a price based on wholesale price plus o/h wages, profit (except rent and other charges imposed by Westfield such as 2% of your t/o, cleaning and promo etc etc) say it came to $1 he would then add $1 for rent giving a selling price of $1.99/kg, that seems to be why at the market oranges $0.99c/kg.
Has anyone a view on predatory pricing, used by the big stores to force a smaller operator in the same local out of business. Its quite simple, example F&V BIG opens new store in LITTLES centre price of bananas in LITTLES $1.99/kg they cost him $1/kg BIG puts bananas in at $1.49, mean while at the other 7 BIG stores within 10Km bananas are $2.49/Kg and will remain so for a time, they cost BIG $0.80c/kg LITTLE matches the price $1.49, BIG now drops the price to $0.99c/kg LITTLE has to follow, now $0.79C at BIG's. Within no time LITTLE is out of business. The new banana price at BIG's all over town $2.99. That's just bananas.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 28 October 2010 7:08:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
UOG most of your posts are way out, but this is a new standard !

[i use a 15 amp small fan]...
not the 280 amp ceiling fan

Your small fan is a very good radiator at 3.6 Kw
and the ceiling fan at 280 amps is 67KW and will require your own sub station.
You must be reading by the white heat glow of the fan.

I wish writers who quote these sort of figures would make sure they
understand what they are writing about.
However you are not on your own, journalists are notorious for writing
nonsense exceeded only by the TV stations.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 28 October 2010 1:59:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Paul and Otokonoko. I try and purchase most of my F&V in either Vans or markets on the sides of highways or F&V Markets within suburbs, limiting the IGA items, however will endeavour yet again, to see if my older ones [my 20 yr old daughter as my 16yr old son does not eat vegemite or any spreads I have just recalled]will consume some of these products from "A" this time around!

I tried the "A" products a year ago to no avail. Spoiled and all too late. Made a rod for my own back am told!
Posted by we are unique, Thursday, 28 October 2010 8:40:51 PM
I forgot to mention the veggie man who sells on the side of the road not far from my place. Fresh, cheap and pleasant service - I don't mind buying from him one bit! He's a bit of an institution, too. He might do what IGA probably won't: survive the Woolworths invasion of my neck of the woods.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 28 October 2010 9:10:26 PM
Some very interesting comments, but most mention the 'big two', and critisise them. Try living in outback NSW where the 'big two' don't exist and see how much you pay for all of your groceries, and fruit and vegetables aren't always the freshest, but still at premium prices. People in the cities shouldn't complain, just try to live outside the cities for some time.
Then we read about the anniversary of the Olympic Games celebrations, including the lighting of the flame once again. What a total waste of money, who cares? Maybe some of this money could be spent on our ailing health system or feeding and sheltering the unfortunate homeless.
Posted by HAZARD, Saturday, 30 October 2010 2:39:13 PM
till..through repeated experiences..and developments..it attains to such..a degree..of intellectual..and moral-consciousness..that it stands..upon..the same level..as its spiritual-guardians,

and..*then it..in turn becomes..the spiritual-guardian of..some new-born/soul

I have also..been taught..that the soul-germ..in its first_stage..is only..like a seed,..like,..in fact,..any other seed..in the minuteness..of its size..and powers.

It is,..in fact,..a spark..*of the Divine_Essence/containing in itself..all..that will constitute..the perfected human-soul...

Of its very essence..it is immortal..and..indestructible,..because..it is seed*from that which is..*Immortal..and..*Indestructible.

But..as a seed..has_to/be..sown..into the {material}-darkness..and degradation of the..material-earth..in order that it may germinate,..

so has the soul-seed..*to be sown..in*to..the corruptions..of matter,..first*..in its lower..and then..in its higher_forms.

Each animal..is in itself..A_type of..a soul-seed,..the human_type..mearly..being the highest*..of all,..

and each seed will..in turn..develop to the highest-degree..*possible for it*..through successive spheres..and experiences.

Some/schools..of thought hold that..the soul*..will progress more rapidly..if it is again..and again..returned to material-life..to be born anew,..in a fresh-form*..each time,..

and to live..over..again the experiences..
it has missed,..{victim/last time...oppressor..this*time..;or visa-versa]

we are ALL*..a work..in progress/process
..cast no stones..]

the life-experiences/..missed..or..needing to..expiate..in the mortal-form..the prior-wrongs..done..in a former incarnation.

The spiritual-children..of this school of thought..will indeed be thus...be returned to earth again,..and..for them..each new-lesson will have to be worked-out..in an earthly_life.

"But..it does not follow..that this experience..will be the lot..of all spirits.

There are other schools..who maintain..that the spirit spheres..contain means for..the education of the soul..quite as useful..and expeditious;..

and..with..the spiritual children committed..to their charge..the totally different*course..of sending them..to gather*experience..in the lower-spheres..rather than..*to earth,..will-be..pursued.

[such like..as we see being done here/..now]

They*..will be..made*..to live over*..in memory..their past earth-life
and..to expiate..in the*spirit..the wrongs done..in their earthly existences.

As each soul differs in its character..or individuality,..so each must be trained..by a different method,..

[clearly..us earth-incarnations..
are the hard-cases..{doudting/thomas}...types]

oe else we..would all*..resemble..each other..so exactly
that a monotonous*..sameness..would result..and there would be none of that..variety..and contrast..which give a charm..to earthly life,..as well as revealing..different aspects..of good[god]

and..this..I believe..we will still continue..to do
in the..celestial spheres.
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 11 November 2010 7:59:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy