The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Has Australia stopped being Australia ?

Has Australia stopped being Australia ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
A mate of mine just returned from a holiday in Europe today. As a 747 Captain I'd say he's a fairly experienced traveller. The first thing he said was "we travelled 7200 km from Holland to Spain & we only spotted two policemen on the way". He added that they went to canal sluices, cable cars etc & they were astounded at the minimal signage everywhere. He said it was like travelling in Australia 40 years ago. No Don't do this or that signs & they could grab a drink to the park with no government moron hassling them about drinking in public area.
It really makes me wonder where Australia is heading.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 17 October 2010 9:30:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"we travelled 7200 km from Holland to Spain"

Jeez... that makes Europe bigger than Oz!

I'd have thought about 2-3000 km would have covered the distance from Holland to Spain.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 18 October 2010 1:46:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Blue Cross,
Some tourists actually don't travel in a bee line, they actually move around as they take in the sights & sounds. It's somewhat different to driving dead straight across the Nullarbor. Not everyone has tunnel vision. Maybe too many australian bureaucrats gained their experience from visiting Perth ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 18 October 2010 2:49:11 PM
Do you recon it's acceptable to be drinking in the streets.
Posted by 579, Monday, 18 October 2010 3:44:58 PM
Do you recon it's acceptable to be drinking in the streets.
now this is a typical twisting of words. No-one says "drinking" in the streets is acceptable. In many places one can take a drink to a park & enjoy the surrounds with a relaxing drink. One mustn't forget that many cultures do not indulge in getting blind drunk every time they have a drink. I recall not having any problems 30 or more years ago by having a drink around the campfire. It only started when we weren't allowed to discipline the rowdies & before long many of these moron regulations were forced on us by those moron bureaucrats who dreamed up the moron regulations to counter their own stupid rules. I fondly remember an Australia when we could spend a weekend on the beach or in the bush having a relaxing few drinks & no-one went ape$hit on drugs & alcohol.
Posted by individual, Monday, 18 October 2010 4:29:06 PM
I blame it on Len Beadell and his Gunbarrel Highway, individual.

All those public servants in their 4wds on their way to WA.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 18 October 2010 4:52:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy