The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > NSW why has Labor lost?

NSW why has Labor lost?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
It is not until March we go to the polls.
Yet the election is over.
OH a great campaign will be run, many who defame the ALP just by their presents will go, but the result is known.
Fattening the pig on election day, fine commitments and promises, even I will be impressed, maybe even hopeful.
Party leaders will highlight, with some truth , a biased print media.
Fear of conservative job cuts will be thrown ,and that fear is already there.
Yet no chance not any exists, that the ALP can win.
30% that figure is the high end of the scale, but thats is about how much less other states can pay for their power.
Remember the great NSW state conference that overruled the party's rank and file on power sell off?
It will be sold now, but understand my readers, I do, this awful mob increased electricity prices without need to make public pay for private Enterprise to want to buy it.
Here and now you see a party recruiting votes for another by its actions ALP gathers voters for greens
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 10 October 2010 6:54:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly...it's simple really.

In contrast to the sentiments of the US declaration of independance which says:

//And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.//

They have instead.... festooned themselves with greed, indulged themselves with abominable immorality, surrounded themselves with cronies, turned their noses up against the Almighty, ignored the right and celebrated the wrong, they have called 'evil' good and 'good' evil.

as such..they will be consigned to the political graveyard brought about by that divine providence, and as Thomas Jefferson said:

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever; That a revolution of the wheel of fortune, a change of situation, is among possible events; that it may become probable by Supernatural influence! The Almighty has no attribute which can take side with us in that event."

Therein lies the heart of the Labour Party and it's problems.
I assure you, the same will apply to the Liberals if they act in the same manner.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Sunday, 10 October 2010 9:04:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a lot of frogsswobble. Just maybe it has something to do with the recruitement," Pay peenuts and get monkees. "
Posted by 579, Sunday, 10 October 2010 11:09:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is not about America Boazy but welcome back.
It is not about Christ or any God but again welcome back.
579 I had hoped we, some of us, could contribute to a talk on politics.
Within Labors impending wreck we can, if we look see some truths about every political party.
Labor more than most rides on the efforts and donations of its followers.
Those who get the hand in to Parliament often forget instantly why they got that hand.
No party, not one,can offer its supporters every thing they wish for.
No party stays in power if it governs only for those who voted for it.
Labor has failed to open its branches ,so have conservatives, Labors branches are owned and controlled by the few, uninviting to those who think other than the ownership.
People from every walk of life get in to the house on ALP tickets, few have ever been broke or hungry even less know our party's history.
If you come in to conflict with NSW public servants who run and ruin government departments, you need not go to the minister.
His/Her very best effort is to hand the concerns,,,,, back to the department you complain about,,,they in turn hand it to? the very person you are complaining about!
5 years to get PPE 3 of those after a very close call that could have blinded some one, private Enterprise would fix it in an hour,, then say thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Far too many, not all, not most but not far from it ALP NSW leaders and faction leaders forgot long ago the rank and file are the back bone not the floor rug of our party.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 10 October 2010 1:00:23 PM
As I said no one can please every one, but Neville Wrann, a man I found faults with, gave NSW Darling Harbor.
How many remember the rubbish heaped on him for that.
And how many now stand in aware at its conversion, and life as a great part of that City.
Bob Carr, meany will loath him for what I want to praise him for, this states national parks.
Maybe this good intelligent leader wearied of trying to control his dysfunctional team but Labor died on his leaving.
A former minister for roads was rolled, the Italian stallion got the job.
Was so out of his depth it is a wounder he did not drown.
Along came that left wing dream leader who gave it a red hot go and got totally burnt.
Nice Lady our leader nice and liked but even I am unsure if its her words or Obed's she speaks, or maybe its the other bloke, gee leave soon fellas please soon?
Can we for a short time look at a pensioners life in this state? if you use power to stay cool or warm you just do not eat well.
That is an achievement for a LABOR party not to be proud of isn't it?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 10 October 2010 1:16:23 PM
Let's see, over the time this mob have been running NSW;

-They have flogged off- or attempted to flog off- virtually every public asset to a dodgy private company (including Macquarie Bank), with members mysteriously joining these same groups after politics.
This has included demolishing schools and mental hospitals to sell the real-estate- despite every sale strangely ending up in the asset becoming far less serviceable, more expensive, or dissolving entirely.

-Personally intervened to ensure private property developers would be able to streamline their projects without having to comply to council, public or court obligations (barrangaroo).

-Butchered infrastructure in many places to force the use of private tollways (Lane Cove Road)

-Been the mob responsible for the APEC and WYD police powers

My question is how could such a clearly HARD-RIGHT-wing, neocon party possibly keep getting re-elected?
My guess is too many NSW voters still think NSW Labor is a 'center-left' party that gives a toss about 'workers'- and have not paid one single bit of attention to what the NSW party actually DOES.

I ask, how could ANY party- Liberals, Greens, Democrats, possibly be any worse than this?
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 10 October 2010 5:24:57 PM
King Hazza.I don't think that the NSW Libs will be much better.Perhaps a little less corrupt.The silience is deafening from Barry O'Farrel.I suspect they will get into power and screw us even more.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 10 October 2010 6:16:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
Comments from hazza and al are ignorable for the ignorance they are. The primary issue for NSW labor is the same that faces every long term government. The old members need to know when to move on to give new blood and fresh ideas a chance for the electorate. The NSW government have to many tired members that don't perform because they are holding on to what they know rather than doing the job. Change is as important to a government as it is to us all in our lives. It gives us fresh ideas and new drive to achieve things. I would suport a two term restriction for members in NSW or three terms in the three year term governments. This may have it's own problems but they can always stand again after a break.
Posted by nairbe, Sunday, 10 October 2010 9:08:40 PM
Nairbe spot on, sorry but an understanding of the subject seems to be missing from KH posts.
I get a grin however from Labor being described as right wing.
We are in a hole,the wrong people are getting a seat in the house and in reality some should only get in the door with mop and bucket in hand.
It revolves around branches, being popular within a branch is not prof of talent.
Being a lawyer or dealer in real estate is not a recommendation.
And, get a kicking for this, spent or never was, union heads mostly fail.
We have real stars and in fact the party's future is in unions best but our failures are to be seen too.
Fund raising disturbs me, we some times look very near third world bribe demanding in this area.
How many of us do not see Labors failures increasing the green vote?
Even now, this late and with an election victory in the bag, I am waiting to see if a last minute replacement for Liberals leader takes place.
Knowing, understanding the incoming government will be bad, has no affect, Labor has conceded defeat now.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 11 October 2010 4:46:28 AM
Belly, i too am waiting to see if NSW coalition can make a mess of it as they have the last two elections. For NSW i hope not. It is difficult to judge how the coalition will go in NSW as they have more infighting issues than labor, actually the residence of NSW should be concerned that neither party appears to be competent and has not for quite a while. This i believe has much to do with the increase in the green vote. I don't have a problem with that as many do. It is simple for the greens now, they have an opportunity to prove they can throw off the radical appearance and be progressive and co operative. If they cannot do this they will be dead within 6 years as a political force.
I don't understand the workings of the branch system of either party as i don't belong to one, but as an outsider the whole political machine smells putrid. Branch stacking, political donations and jobs for retiring MP's all looks, smells and feels like corruption and as they say where there's smoke.
Posted by nairbe, Monday, 11 October 2010 6:47:49 AM
I'm sorry Belly and Niarbe, could you explain to me, in practice, how a party that is active in selling off public assets is, in no way, "right wing" but "left wing"?*

Or for that matter, try to explain why the things I listed above cannot possibly be about corruption, but instead 'older members'?
But sure- if newer members have a different attitude to politics (ie actually care about the job at all) then I'd be happy to see it.

As it stands we have cycled through 3 dishonest mobs in that party though- so I'd have to actually see a radical announcement of policy change by these new members also.
Posted by King Hazza, Monday, 11 October 2010 9:21:38 AM
King Hazza has got it in a nutshell.

It is alarming that the NSW ALP continues to be the best of a bad bunch in the mind of the NSW voter. The NSW ALP is has shifted way too far to the Right.

No longer does the NSW ALP give a toss about the ordinary citizen having sold off the citizen's assets without permission.

It is not that the alternative might be better (they could not be worse) but there is a point where a government needs to be give a strong reminder of who they are representing. In our two-party focussed system being voted out is the only tool the voter has at their disposal.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 11 October 2010 9:42:07 AM
[url=http://www.savingsratesbest.net]Savings Bonds[/url]
Posted by charlesqaz24, Monday, 11 October 2010 10:33:30 AM
<a href="http://www.savingsratesbest.net" rel="dofollow">Savings Bonds</a>
Posted by charlesqaz24, Monday, 11 October 2010 10:34:40 AM
NSW Labor has got to go because the self serving can only be flushed out when the self serving are not in power. Just one screw up that paints the picture is the still escalating bill of $600 million for a tram track of no distance or value that did not even get a sod turned in its construction. Why did they not build a couple of hospitals, or put an extra traffic lane in here and there.

We are all sick of Labors ongoing incompetence but Barry is no ideas man as he sits in the shadows, keeps his mouth shut and watches the train wreck. This is no good to me, as a casualty of Labors neglect I want to know he can fix me and I am not getting that feeling from Baz the absent. But Labor has to lose power to phoenix themselves.

Belly about the rank and file being contributors and faithful to the agenda even if it runs off the rails a bit. Years ago one of the kids footy team had a really active mums group, sausage sizzle,raffles,mini fetes, local business sponsorship etc and the reason for the effort was to refurbish the old club and dressing sheds. These girls earned enough that year to support an NRL team. The prez, committee, and coaches were amazed. They then took the seniors to Bali at the end of the season and no funds remained. The girls were devastated and never again did that club rise above mediocrity in fund raising.

NSW Labor is exactly like that, we saved water, we saved electricity, we lived with crumbling infrastructure, but only a few are happy about the state of the state and they include Labor politicians given they still spin in the face of adversity rather than fix.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 11 October 2010 10:56:33 AM
This spammer charles could join the ranks of the NSW Labor cabinet, his links don't work, how can I be swayed if I can't get the message charles, I wanna save, I want the best rate, I want gonads full of life juice and an erection that goes all the way to Brizzy....help me charles, your bright.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 11 October 2010 11:03:35 AM
Pelican, i agree and what a reminder they are in for.
KH, Let's consider where centre is before we decide on NSW labor. Since Whitlem This country has moved to the right, first with the economic reforms of the Hawke/Keating governments and then with gusto under Howard as fear and hate became the social norms. We now stand so far to the right of Fraser that the labor party though still left of centre are way right of Menzies.
If you are so concerned about left and right then maybe you could considering the appallingly paranoid attitude that we live with in our communities. Everything is always bad, it is all the fault of the muslims or greens or boat people whatever, but never is it ourselves and the poor choices we make.
As for corruption, the party system is rotten on both sides. They will do whatever it takes but i do not contribute this to all politicians rather the machines they are apart of. I maintain, this is a problem of all long term governments as they cling to power, look at the Bjelke-Petersen government or Bourke in WA. This did not lead to subsequent governments being corrupt as well but we are seeing some concerning signs from the Bligh government, yet another that has out lived it's used by date.
Posted by nairbe, Monday, 11 October 2010 11:23:12 AM
Labor lost lost lost. NSW the sick corrupt labor state where senior public service executives across all sectors are labor stooges on short term contracts. Cronyism, cover-ups and deceit prevails. Open free speech media is dead under labor threats of lost advertising revenue or lost access to their propaganda ministerial "press releases". Fat cat ministers jump like rats of a half sunk ship skulking away with their entitlements intact. Devoid of ethics, bereft of visionary leadership, the pack that was labor will go down and take a once good state with them.

NSW lost lost lost. The government we deserved grown disgustingly obese on public apathy and squandered public monies. The wowser public wasting behind 'reality' cooking shows while their government degenerates and manipulates until we walk out the front door and wonder what winning, what democratic NSW, even was.
Posted by Stern8, Monday, 11 October 2010 12:55:45 PM
Stern8, wow just wondering if you had any more to add to that lot, great serve.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 11 October 2010 3:07:03 PM
Nairbe your thoughts every one of them I share.
Now King Hazza I think is a green, rather left of reality one at that.
Others rant, that is what it is,about corrupt Labor.
Dysfunctional, lost,unfocused,wrong people in charge,even a few total corrupt thieves yes to all.
I look for better out comes from NSW ALP, after the train wreck they have created.
Look and the recent English elections, we all know it had to come.
But look at Labor there now, in front in polling and renewed.
Mr who is he sits and gloats, last election a different man was coalition leader, he had more talent but he lost Labor did not win, that election.
This time, in the back rooms of the ALP a few convince themselves they can bank on conservatives to give this one away.
Face it, if every conservative in NSW ran his/her election campaign from a beach in Bali while drunk they would still win, clearly.
From the bottom of the dam it dug its self Labor will, believe me raise up to make it a one term government.
This impending thrashing of my team is healthy,for them me, democracy and my states future.
Greens? 6 years seems about right what is going to be the next new growing force in Australian politics?, after greens or is it after Brown?
Posted by Belly, Monday, 11 October 2010 5:03:00 PM
I don't know about one term Belly, that is a lot to ask and would require the coalition to really stuff it up big time. I would be more inclined to say two terms would be needed to rebuild the talent pool to a point where the electorate forget the last 4 years.
As for the greens, well it remains to be seen. If they perform they may well be around for a long time, the party will of course do a democrats once Bob Brown retires and rip themselves to pieces fighting for the spoils. The other side is that they are unable to compromise with the government and we end up at an early election for which they will be punished hard by the electorate. We all love an idealist but we require our politicians to be able to know when compromise is needed. The greens don't have a good track record of this in the past and it is questionable if they can manage it now. I am happy to be wrong though as it would stir up Australian politics just nicely.
Posted by nairbe, Monday, 11 October 2010 7:05:48 PM
You lot talk as if corruption was the name of the game, what sort of corruption are you referring to.
Private enterprise will always run a more efficent company than any govt; will. Isn't that what it is all about, private. If the govt runs to much they get accused of being socialist.
Vic is a much better place after the power and a host of other govt run enterprises were sold off. "But it will take a few years to settle down " By the time march comes around it may be a different game. I have no problem with the odd green getting in here and there, we have tried the other way long enough. The libs are tooo much commerse orientated, and the normal people get left behind.
May be you should put your self forward as a candidate instead of being highly critical,
Posted by 579, Monday, 11 October 2010 7:44:34 PM
Politicians are like nappys...they should be changed often, and for the same reason.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 11 October 2010 9:33:58 PM
Niarbe- the nature of both parties jumping into the neo-liberalist mindset over the years still places NSW LAbor clearly in the right spectrum- just because they're still moderate compared to Menzies does not do them much credit.

And no, I'm not too thrilled with the Liberals who have not taken a clear stance against Privatisation or any of the other unpopular and detrimental policies beyond vague non-binding complaints, nor so hot on the Greens (on one hand (or faction within the party), they have a clear anti-corruption/anti-privatization platform- there would be members however that would not mind processes that would enforce 'greener' policies, I would not deny that;

But either which way, every rotation this party has gone through since it got in has been rotten and simply cannot be allowed to govern, and the above two options simply do not alarm me as much as they worse either could do is simply follow Labor's actions.
Posted by King Hazza, Tuesday, 12 October 2010 12:11:34 AM
Good morning King Hazza, please understand our differences here are not personal.
You and I may get on very well in real life.
But the written words relies on what we say and is less descriptive than face to face.
For me,and apparently just over 85% of Australian voters, Labor and the Liberals, fit just fine.
We are less than impressed with the fact greens have too much say, did not vote for them, do not want them, and your terminology is not excepted by us.
why 579? infer comment is winging? and that things may change by March, yep may get worse for Labor.
If you 579 want us to read your thoughts and ideas why do you constantly question our right to think differently than you.
One term Nairbe is a chance while Labor has been so very awful, conservatives do not need to win, we did that for them.
On entering office for a 4 year term with a massive lead they will not be able to handle it.
Labor by suffering will bring new talent in at every by election find a leader without strings held by those who are the trouble not the answer, we shall return.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 12 October 2010 4:04:54 AM
King Hazza,
Yes once the labor party were left and the liberals were liberal. Now labour is right and the liberals are conservative. We just refer to them as left and right of what is the centre of current political thinking. But if you want to be exacting then labour are now liberal privatisation driven panicers and the liberals are ultra conservative nanny state moralists.

What are you on about, business is as capable of making a total disaster zone of things as government. Let's just say GFC. Corruption is held in place only by constant vigilance, and the older a government the harder it is for them to see it creeping in. It is always the rational decision or the way forward and sometimes it is, but it is still corruption.
Posted by nairbe, Tuesday, 12 October 2010 6:35:24 PM
I said something like private enterprise runs a more efficent business...
I am in the habbit of saying things directly without compromise, in my business i am the only one to blame so i make sure what i say is law, sorry if i offend some.
So your reference to corruption is sort of corruption, there should be an other name for it.
I have seen PM Gillard referred to as dangerous, she aparantly has had a left wing upbringing. I don't see anything dangerous about left wing. A mix of socialist and private makes for a good enviornment.
AU has had a long run on changing from one extreme to the other.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 12 October 2010 7:22:04 PM
Corruption, can we look at it? and my thread.
I surely am not defending NSW ALP in fact charge some with? corruption.
It is not however an ALP owned product.
Mr Bob [run over the B,s] Askin remember him?
He it is said bought Nifty Nev new ideas.
In every road construction contract in NSW, every new contractor to maintain those roads, true horrible cost over runs, corrupt over pricing, takes place.
Generated in private enterprise by public servants.
Both incoming government and out going farce of a party can not change that.
I want better, from both sides this thrashing will be a start.
Do not kid your selves however no party has clean hands.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 5:58:22 AM
Can we look at the fact both party's have indeed moved to the right.
They have, strangely in NSW it is the Liberals who suffer for moving too far not Labor.
Labor rules this state far more than conservatives.
And it seems clear Liberalism is moving out of ground Labor is happy to move in to.
Is it not true while many who vote for them are unaware the Greens are the true left of Australian politics?
14% vote for them, who are these [I am not referring to Greens]refugees from Labor unhappy with our living in todays world not yesterdays?
They do not exist,our refugees are in the Green vote, no one surely thinks unhappiness with our run to the right made some vote conservative.
And conservative voters,do they vote green because they are unhappy with the Republican style infection in their party?
85% that is how many voted for the two party's that rule,few want a Labor party anchored in the 1950,s
While each of us want different things a balance is needed to win office in this country.
Foxy is every thing ok
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 6:11:49 AM
From the Cambridge Catalogue website:
"Power Crisis, by former minister and Labor historian Rodney Cavalier, is the latest volume in the Australian Encounters series (jointly published by Cambridge University Press and the National Centre for Australian Studies (NCAS), Monash University). It will be launched in Sydney by Senator John Faulkner, who may well have some words about the current plight of Australian Labor, and MCed by Dr Tony Moore, commissioning editor of Australian Encounters and Director of NCAS.“This is a forensic and penetrating analysis of the crisis facing modern Labor. Cavalier is unrivalled in his ability to identify the dilemmas of the present but locate them in historical context.”
– Paul Kelly, The Australian“Rodney Cavalier analyses the root causes of the crisis to explain why government in NSW has become a grim game of musical chairs. He reveals a bitter conflict between an elected Labor government and the party that created it. The problem for modern Labor is the hijacking of party and government by a professional political class — operatives on big salaries with minimal life experience or connection to the broader community”
– Dr. Tony Moore, Director of NCAS
Posted by merv09, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 11:49:06 AM
Mev09 well written and I share the thoughts in your post however.
The Australian, indeed any paper from that stable is at best a douptfull source for comment about Labor.
In NSW the very thing I have been most proud of being part of center unity, is as described.
But my understanding, indeed wish for ,the coming defeat is in the hope Labor can empty the rubbish bin, wash it clean and return to the party it was for so long.
ONLY the best candidates should be sent to Parliament.
Sadly we get that wrong constantly.
HQ Constantly over rules branches putting stars who often fail in seats others have earned.
Now some times intervention is the only way, last election a member tried to pass on his seat,To a totally wrong person.
We fought hard to get that candidate in,and have not heard a word from that day.
Labor must not get further left, it has the ground most want ,but it must stop impersonating the very worst of self interest and greed reckless uninformed privatization by stealth.
NSW Rail is just a shadow of the very real waste and fraud in government departments while ministers are asleep at the wheel.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 4:34:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy