The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Getting charged for leaving young children at home alone

Getting charged for leaving young children at home alone

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
I'm a 29yo single mother. I recently got charged with leaving my 2 children aged 5 and 6 1/2 along at home while they were sleeping at night. I have read up before this on a few .qld.gov as well as .qld.org websites and I never came across any websites that stated in is a crime to leave children at home without adult supervision.

http://www.parentlink.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/30814/Home_Alone2.pdf

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=305&id=1666

I have told my children numerous times on what to do if they need to contact me. I am only a few minutes away. Also, to dial "000" if I wasn't contactable for any reason. We live in a very secure building and the children know their ground rules. They are very well looked after by me. I have no one else here and do not trust anyone with my kids.

I think the law here is ridiculous. I am not an Australian. So CSO investigates me and ask: "What ifs?" Honestly? What if we all get killed in an accident. What is this world coming to? So when I go to the shops, and we need to use the toilets separately, what am I suppose to do, pee in my pants so I don't leave any child unattended? Because then there is a chance they might get abducted? Best part, they can actually accuse me of being a prostitute. Lovely!

I don't understand what our world has come to where in developed countries, the government think they have the right to tell you to behave the way they think is right. Like robots. Humans have forgotten the core values of life. All they do is stress about finances, success, power, greed, completely brain-washed by society.
Posted by jinny, Wednesday, 29 September 2010 10:36:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I absolutely agree Jinny the way us people in Australia are regulated is pathetic.
I really wish you the best in defeating the charges, and my best advice is to elaborate what you shared with us to whoever gives you trouble.

What makes me wonder is who the hell is calling these policies?
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 29 September 2010 1:07:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Do you think the general population even cares? All they care, from my few weeks living in this city, is about themselves, and what benefits them. All the departments and professionals are so difficult to work with unless you have big $$$.
We are governed by all these laws yet the main problem in society is not even anywhere close to being dealt with. Instead of putting an effort into changing our future for the better of our planet, we have people working for the money, don't even know how to do their own jobs right(not everyone). Closed minded and never open to suggestion, never wanting to find out more and think they know the better always. All I can see is stress, worry.
Thanks to the media, our upbringing, what society thinks, we have forgotten our own instincts and potential. Instead of living for ourselves, we live for the rest of society. Always not wanting to be judged in a bad way.
Posted by jinny, Wednesday, 29 September 2010 1:23:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's an interesting point Jinny and I must admit I'm unsure of how to answer it.

Because the strange thing is, absolutely every Australian bar perhaps a few hundred is opposed to this degree of paternalism in our society. The problem is, for one reason or another, they have no inclination to do something about it (except ignore it and hope they don't get caught).

In fact, you will find the degree of how much rot Australians tolerate from our administration is really quite odd- I think the simple answer is Australians find anything to do with politics to simply be too hard to want to touch, and can easily be talked into retaining an outright vile government and enduring whatever abuse they throw by simply being convinced that the opposition is worse and the rest are too minor to get up.

Plus, politics seems to attract some extremely domineering types, which I find rather sad.

It seems things are improving very slowly; though more needs to change.

On a positive note, Australian law is quite flexible, and there are plenty of legal or administrative offices or representatives you can explain to if necessary who will, understanding your predicament simply does not allow you to comply with these standards, and acknowledging you act on necessity and took responsible measures, would cancel the charge

(also be aware that many councils and companies here are very sneaky but cowardly- some try to avoid evidence of innocence, but seem to immediately drop a case out of fright if they think you are either intimidating, persistent, know your rights, or would be willing to consult legal advice. This has happened to me when I needed to do something similar with an official office- they tried to pass me off to dead-end departments, but I persisted and ended up finding their actual contact details and immediately sent them proof- a combination of both I imagine get me through.
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 29 September 2010 1:57:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jinny

Depending on the size of the bureaucracy you are dealing with, it is often a good idea to try to contact again later. It doesn't take too long to know whether you are dealing with a control-freak or not - if you find yourself in this situation on the phone - you can claim that someone is at the door or any scenario (kids area great excuse) which gives you the chance to say you will call back later.

Even if at the reception of an organisation, there are ways around this - the staff are rotated quite regularly; I am very good at the coughing fit - by which I can allow a person in the queue behind me to go first, or even leave and come back at some other time. Like if it is early in the morning return at lunch time when hopefully someone else will be able to help. The point is, there are some perfectly decent people in these vile bureaucracies - and there is a good chance you will find someone who will genuinely want to help.

All the best to you and your children.
Posted by Severin, Wednesday, 29 September 2010 2:16:51 PM
Obviously there was a complaint otherwise how would the cops find out?. And, "charged with leaving my 2 children aged 5 and 6 1/2 along at home..."?. What was the specific charge?. Endangerment?. Surely they said in court what the specific charge was.

Seems to me there would HAVE to be a complaint and that the police believe there's case enough to charge you. I don't believe there's an actual law against leaving your kids at home of ANY age and you will get your opportunity to plead your case.

The flip side of your argument, is that no one does anything to aid children being left alone and in danger. Sometimes making a complaint is the BEST option. I wonder how many kids have been saved because of it. Cops hear about how much the accused REALLY loves their children and would never hurt them all the time, and then the next wrap police tape around the house.

If I believed you were neglecting a 5 and a 6 year old I'd call the police in a heartbeat. I'd rather they sussed you out than did nothing a possibly read about them in the news.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 29 September 2010 2:27:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy