The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Please do not burn those books

Please do not burn those books

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
As I've stated in my other posts on other
threads, the major reason for restricting
freedom, is to prevent harm to others.
Like most rights, freedom is not absolute.
Most countries prohibit practices that
injure people or that are thought to threaten
to destroy society. To achieve the goal of
equal freedom for everyone, a government may
have to restrict the liberty of certain
individuals or groups to act in certain ways.

Society limits personal freedom in order to
maintain order and keep things running smoothly.

When an individual's private acts puts others
at risk, these acts should be curtailed. There
is serious concern among US military officers of
retaliation against troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.
This makes it a matter of National Security.

Pastor Jones is an unbalanced extremist who was
expelled from Germany. It's unfortunate that he
is being given the media attention that he so
obviously relishes.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 11 September 2010 11:34:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Hazza I have form, for saying much of what you just said.
See ask even my online Friends, people I respect like C J Morgan.
I am racist xenophobic and anti Muslim.
In truth none of that is true, yes Muslim intrusiveness into western lifestyle gets me going.
But not just them, many minority's get me going , some claiming I am racist ,from minority's are more racist than the KKK.
Blame education both wrong, none and very little for our devisions.
I suspect you fear as I do PC blindness, an illness that hides minority racism xenophobia, bigotry but highlights lunatics like this preacher.
Well that suits my views, we try as hard as you like, are unlikely to not be forced in to a war, against Islam.
But we will have no other choice if we look for reasons to kill not for stopping confrontation.
I do you know understand the bigotry behind the riots over those cartoons.
I come from a group who is always wrong, always the reason things go wrong.
White Anglo Saxon Protestant.
It always our fault, this time it is, one of us has channeled Hitler
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 11 September 2010 1:57:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The human race has only just come out of the stone age. More recently we have only just emerged from the Dark Age. We've been industrialised for only 200 years or so.

But more importantly, MUCH more importantly, many of the human race still have primitive beliefs in mythical gods to this very day. A prime example is Christians and Muslims. Normally that's quite ok, as most people simply live and let live.

But the problem is that these myth believers are sometimes radicalised, which results in some of the prehistoric religious attitudes which we've read from several posters here.

Then what happens is that this radicalisation escalates into politically/religiously correct direct action in various parts of the world where the myth believers force their myths/dogmas/behaviour on people via the application of Law. Christianity and Islam are both equally guilty. The next step for the radicalised myth believers is to directly challenge the myth believers of different religions; the result being an endless series of military confrontations both large and small, throughout history to this very day: Often done under the guise of political/nationalistic extremism. The idiot pastor in America is one such example of a radical Christian; he's doing it because he believes Islam is not the word of god, and that the Quran caused 9/11. Radical Muslims believe Christianity is not the word of God.

The problem is not Christianity or Islam.

The problem is radicalised Christianity and radicalised Islam.

The American right religious radicals are a terrible threat to world peace. At the moment they don't rule America and never have. But they have enormous influence there. Should they ever gain real power we can kiss goodbye to world peace. No doubt they'll launch a war of attrition against Islam, safe in the knowledge that they have more nuclear bombs than their enemy.

I think radicalised Christianity in America is a much greater threat to word safety compared to radicalised Islam. Both are bad and evil. But that's human nature, that's how it's been for the past 2,000 years.

Ain't religion just grand!
Posted by Johnny30, Saturday, 11 September 2010 3:32:32 PM
Belly,
I think you missed the point of what I was saying.

My point was that religion was not the sole reason behind those events.

Like all conflicts - it was motivated by economics and politics.

Dressing it up as Good vs Evil is the age-old con that is pulled on all those involved. People will fight for high-minded or even abstract concepts but nobody will give up their lives simply to help the financial bottom line of some Corporations.

In this case it's used to avoid people asking "why did this happen?".

Don't take my word for it - look up the remarks of Smedley Butler - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Is_a_Racket - and look up the actual details of what he claimed.
Posted by rache, Saturday, 11 September 2010 9:37:33 PM
rache I missed nothing your words clearly said what you thought.
I did not do my self justice in a post above.
It is well known I have no God.
And that I think we divide humanity in the name of God.
I am not blind to the damage some do in the name of God ,and the link to education.
I truly am stunned how some can forget every other God but theirs.
This morning that country I find strange but admire America morns its murdered 9/11 dead, Muslims too died there that day.
Just a few blocks away a demonstration is taking place, one side say no building the other?
Says we have the right to build.
We just as the GFC surprised and frightened us will see a war ,a true horrible war, between followers of God.
Tell me we should not try to stop it with compromise on both sides tell me our wish to be inclusive and accommodating to all is the way both sides aways act.
The very thought of burning those books comes from the very part of America I fear most.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 12 September 2010 6:50:48 AM
>>> The very thought of burning those books comes from the very part of America I fear most. <<<

Belly you echo my thoughts exactly.

Fundamentalist Islam is an appalling infringement on human rights, but fundamentalist Christianity has more power, influence and potential for destruction that fundy Muslims can only dream of.

Burning holy books only achieves p1ssing everyone off, but then this is an extremist Christian's idea of protest. I'm sure Runner, AGIR and their ilk fully endorse this attack on all Muslims' beliefs.

Way good example Pastor Jones, lets return to burning women for witchcraft while you're at it?
Posted by Severin, Sunday, 12 September 2010 9:48:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All