The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gay adoption

Gay adoption

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
I note that yesterday the 2nd of September the NSW lower house passed legislation allowing for Gay couples to adopt. I find this decision to be fundamentally wrong for two basic reasons.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/samesex-adoption-bill-passes-house-20100902-14rpt.html

1. The decision was based on discrimination against gay peoples by church based adoption agencies. I agree this is wrong but I cannot agree with any policies pertaining to children being based on anything except the best interests of the child even if it means discriminating against certain social groups.

2. By the sheer fact that one is gay the opportunity to have children is negated. Nature has an amazing way of making its decisions and I am confident that if we were all to have children then we would have evolved as hermaphrodites.

Yes I know that this opinion is somewhat old fashioned and surprises even myself, but as a single parent I see great deficiencies in the up bringing of my children by only the one sex. Despite all my efforts to have them spend time with their grandmother my girls suffer for not having a mum. They loose that special relationship that teaches them to be a mother or in the other case how to relate to men. I am concerned how this will impact their lives in the future when they become mums or even the decision to become a mum. Our parents are the only handbook on life we get and those learning experiences on relationships of many types should be protected for the child.
And please can the Christian lobby be intelligent and not carry on about evil gay’s and the such. This is not about being gay which I have no issue with this is about the child and what their needs are. I actually include adoption by singles as well. Obviously single parenting will always exist, but we must stop treating children like a right or pushing the idea that having a child is the only way to have a fulfilled life. This is a very narrow view of life and places an unfair burden on the child.
Posted by nairbe, Friday, 3 September 2010 8:02:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
kids losing out again due to the selfishness of adults.
Posted by runner, Friday, 3 September 2010 10:14:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My first post and i must correct myself.
In point 1. it should say

"The decision was based on discrimination against gay peoples by adoption agencies".

Not church based. The new act was amended by Clover Moore to allow church based agencies to discriminate.
Posted by nairbe, Friday, 3 September 2010 10:44:39 AM
nairbe,
1. Anything can be justified if you use the 'best interests of children' argument. Parents should not be allowed to smoke, drink or allow their children to play computer games etc. the list is endless, where does it stop? You cannot control peoples behaviour and in many cases having honestly loving and stable (even if gay) parents would certainly be in the childs 'best interest'.

2. This is a weird argument. If Nature has a way of 'making decisions' of who and who should not be able to have children, then barren couples should also not be allowed to raise children. Ridiculous.

This issue is not about gay peoples 'right to have a child', it is about their rights to be considered as individuals and not be discriminated against purely on the basis of their sexuality, as if it's some sort of criminal activity.

By the way, stop angsting about any percieved 'deficiencies' in you raising your children. They are much more resilient than you think. As long as they are in a loving environment, they'll be ok.
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 3 September 2010 11:25:16 AM
churches are discriminating? is that because they are standing up once again for the rights of our most innocent?
Children have an earthly naturalistic right to a mum and dad... thank god that churches aren't swayed by the influence and general flavour of the times.
Thank the churches for once again in history standing up for the rights of children.
Posted by bach, Friday, 3 September 2010 1:07:50 PM
In all the carry on in this subject I have not seen this point made.

Picture yourself as the public servant who has to sign the paperwork
authorising the adoption by two male homosexuals of a young boy.

Would you give a thought that 20 years or so down the track you might
be sued by that boy for placing him such a dangerous situation ?
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 3 September 2010 1:40:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy