The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How the USGS has misled the world on peak oil.

How the USGS has misled the world on peak oil.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Hi all,

Professor Barry Brook of Adelaide university asked me to write a piece for his blog. This may be one of the clearest articles I’ve ever written on why the USGS is wrong on oil, who the professional geologists are arguing that the USGS is wrong, and why we should trust the lifetime field geologists over the economically driven projections of the pencil-nosed accountants who wrote the USGS 2000 report that misled the world in the first place.

For it appears that the USGS 2000 oil report is the main article that has then filtered through the rest of America's energy authorities out into the world via the International Energy Agency. The IEA is where we get our global oil advice from, as ABARE do not seem to feel that monitoring global peak oil is their job.

So basically, if the USGS has it wrong, the IEA has it wrong, and our government has it all wrong as well. Please enjoy my article "On oil authorities" and then come back here for comments.

http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/08/29/peak-oil-discussion/
Posted by Eclipse Now, Sunday, 29 August 2010 1:04:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Abiotic oil,ie oil which comes from deep underground reserves and has no connection animal or plant origins seems to be replacing our usual fossil fuel sources.eg The Gulf disaster where they went down 8 kms to source it.Russia has the technology and now has passed Saudi Arabia as the no. 1 producer.

So peak oil could well be a lie to keep profits high.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 30 August 2010 9:45:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
1. Abiotic oil is an unproven theory held by 1 or 2 scientists. You may as well side with Creationism, or be a Global Warming sceptic, for all the scientific credibility that argument holds.

2. The tens of billions of dollars a year that big-oil invest in exploration is based on the biological theory.

3. 54 out of 65 oil producing nations are passed their peak. We KNOW what peak oil looks like, how it works, and the economic consequences. America peaked in the 1970's. Are you really so dim as to think their oil companies would voluntarily risk bankrupting their entire nation? That the government LIKES paying billions and billions to countries that don't like them very much? Even the USGS admits America peaked 40 years ago!

4. Even if oil was formed that way, it isn't affecting the decline rate. It's not refilling in any meaningful, measurable way. So unless you want to postulate a completely incredible and paranoid global conspiracy, you're in la la land. Did you even check the abiotic oil wiki?

As they say, "Denial" is not a river in Egypt. ;-)
Posted by Eclipse Now, Monday, 30 August 2010 9:54:10 AM
Eclipse now,It has been postulated by a number of credible people.Wiki is not the font of all knowledge.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 30 August 2010 5:13:49 PM
NO, but my point was you sound like a market fundamentalist in denial of some basic scientific truths. So basic a mere visit to wikipedia should have helped you clarify your thinking.

It has NOT been postulated by that many experts in the fields that actually count. Evidence please, and actually engaging the points I made above might help as well.
Posted by Eclipse Now, Monday, 30 August 2010 5:18:32 PM
Eclipse Now Are you on drugs?
What the heck has the Utah Classical Guitar Society got to do with peak Oil?
Alternatively you could be one of these fools who "think" it makes you look smart using acronyms? It does not, sonny jim, go to the back of the class. Then write I must try and give a clearer idea of what I am talking about" one thousand times.
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 30 August 2010 5:36:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy