The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > New Election,Disaster for Coalition?

New Election,Disaster for Coalition?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The Mark Latham factor could have been a positive for the Coalition.In some Labor electorates the informal vote was 17%.While Graham Young argues that the protest vote was a minor factor,I don't agree.There is a lot of dissatisfaction with both the major parties.

Tony Abbott is my local member for Warringah.For the last two elections I've voted Liberal but on this occasion with two useless independants and a totally dysfunctional Labor Party, I lodged a protest non vote.Had this seat been marginal,Abbott would have got my vote.

So using this logic,in many Labor electorates the Latham factor, plus gross ignorance may have worked to the Coalition's advantage.Many would have voted informal not knowing how marginal their seat was.A new election may well see a return of old tribal allegiances and the return of Labor
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 26 August 2010 10:30:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So your foolish logic is a disaster for the coalition. God help us what will they think of next.
Posted by Richie 10, Friday, 27 August 2010 12:29:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay>> I lodged a protest non vote.

By your own admisions, you have no right what so ever to enter in to this debate as you have foregone your right to choose who runs this country.

A delibarate informal vote, altough within your rights, is a 'useless vote' and you should withdraw from any further discussions on who should run this country.

On the other hand, should we go back to the polls, and I think we should, you then have the right to again cast your vote.

Everyone should remember, labor lost this election, just not badly enough and, if not for the fools who voted for the greens (not all green voters)just those who did not realise they were actually voting for labor, we would have a majority coalition government and the stabillity we simply don't have right now.

More wasted monies, more debt for future generations.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 27 August 2010 6:59:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rehctub:"By your own admisions, you have no right what so ever to enter in to this debate as you have foregone your right to choose who runs this country."

Not at all. By making a deliberate decision to abstain from supporting either major party, one is making a pointed observation about their eligibility to govern.

I conscientiously objected to this election because it was not required, there was no legitimate PM candidate being offered by LAbor and there was no genuine credibility from either of the majors or the Greens on any of the significant issues confronting the nation.

I did not "forego my right to choose", I chose "none of the above".
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 27 August 2010 7:09:47 AM
rehctub'
Amazes me how you conservatives always see the green voters as voting for labour. The Green vote was high because people wanted a clear balance of power in the Senate and despite all the watermelon talk and threats of communist economic disaster from paranoid conservatives the general population have decided to allow them the opportunity to show what they can do. Maybe it is this opportunity that the lib's and lab's have squandered so many times that they do not want any other to have.
And yes labor did not win the election but you may have noticed nor did the liberals and nationals combined. In fact they will have one more seat by a few hundred votes, that is no endorsement of the lib's nor any mandate to rule over anyone else. As for the Nationals they need to get some spine and brake away from the coalition in opposition and start standing up for the rural sector or they may find more and more of their seats turning to independents. The WA nationals are a good example. This would give australian politics some real policy variation and true representation.
Posted by nairbe, Friday, 27 August 2010 7:28:34 AM
Perhaps they should have on all ballot papers ie "none of the above" since this will send a clear message that you don't like any of them rather than your vote being listed as a mistake.

By choosing one party or another we are continually re-inforcing their bad behaviour.If they see a definite 20% who don't like any of them,then pehaps they will look at their policies.

For all our economic rationalism over the last 30 yrs we are worse off with more technology,than the 60's or 70's.Medical was better houses were cheapser and we worked less hours. Quality of life was better.The main reason is that the new money to equal GDP and inflation is created by the banks as debt when it should be created as a tax credit.

Both the major parties are controlled by large corporate interests.They are not addressing infrastructure or support Aust business.Why would you sell off state owned income earning assests like power,water,State lotteries etc.Water for example should not be sold off to the highest foreign bidder.China should not be allowed to buy up our rural land so readily.The way we are going we will not be able to feed ourselves soon.

Over the last 40 yrs we have sold up the farm and now are in serious debt.Our personal debt has increased by 71% in 5 yrs.Personal debt is now greater than our GDP of $1.2 trillion.We have the most over priced real estate on the planet.Our real estate melt down will begin in earnest next year.

I don't think that Labor can be reformed.They are too dysfunctional and corrupt.Hopefully they will self destruct and we can being afresh with a new party that does not take corporate donations.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 27 August 2010 8:15:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy