The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I don't get this boat issue ... or do I?

I don't get this boat issue ... or do I?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
I actually meant to get on to tell you that the boat people thing isn'n any more than a diversion, to hide the inability of working out a decent system to cope with the unemployment of our people. There was never a need to head for the low 47% top tax, it is this that caused that sitution, the 66.6% in the 1950 to 1970, handled every thing quite well but when these wouldbe politicians are struggling to make themselves look wise and very capable, they grab at any straw to pull themselves out of a hole, and so - because the US headed for the low 35% tax, our usless gang decided to do the same, after all, wern't the yanks getting rich, well the CEO's etc were, but the workers and factories were fast running out of cash, into bankrupcy and losing homes, just like is happening here in Australia. A wonderful world, if there wesn't so many idiots.
Posted by merv09, Thursday, 26 August 2010 3:24:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
STG,
Yeah perplexing to me too.

The previous government had stopped the boats from coming and then the present fools opened the door. They made a problem for us and themselves. Now they are running around trying to find places to put the illegals. Not to mention the poor buggers that drowned trying to get here after the present government encouraged them to try.

The facts are simple. If the boat people were ridgy didge they would fly here and then claim asylum instead of paying much more for a risky trip with smugglers. They are shonks and con artists, gate crashing our country, and they could be stopped overnight simply by not giving them what they want. Do not issue permanent residency visas, simple.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 26 August 2010 3:36:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The "'boat people' thing" is a necessary diversion to avoid scrutiny of the over-enthusiastic immigration policies of both sides of government. It is an artifice that has worked well for years - give the punters something else to worry about.

The big boys want growth. That is where the big money is. So be it and never you mind.
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 26 August 2010 4:03:21 PM
I will risk it.
Number of Australians who link boat people to cultural enclaves is not small.
Of that number those who would vote based only on that issue is large.
Both party's think the ones who would vote to stop them have the biggest numbers, votes create policy's.
OK to point out its only a small over all number but water off a ducks back to those waiting of shore, those who do not want them, media intent on using any story to get a headline.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 26 August 2010 6:44:09 PM
Dear Mikk,
If I break the rules of the road I pay the penalty if I am caught so what makes the rules of immigration different. Is it because I am racist or have have you a much deeper incite. Interested to see your answer.
Posted by Richie 10, Thursday, 26 August 2010 6:55:59 PM
Richie
I suggest you look up the laws in question. It is not illegal to come to Australia, by whatever means, and ask for asylum.
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 26 August 2010 7:13:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy