The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 20 year old

20 year old

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I was under the assumption that the consiitution states (section 34 i)that a member must be 21 years or older? Am I wrong
Posted by wellie, Wednesday, 25 August 2010 3:45:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't know good point. Will go looking now. Do you have a specific clause in mind?

Either way his election is a prime example of the unthinking QLD vote at this election. They may well have had much to be angry about but to elect a child to go to represent them in Canberra is questionable. What hope does this chid have of being reelected?
Posted by nairbe, Wednesday, 25 August 2010 5:02:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well spotted wellie.

Australian Constitution - Section 34 - Qualifications of members

Until the Parliament otherwise provides, the qualifications of a member of the House of Representatives shall be as follows:-

(i.) He must be of the full age of twenty-one years, and must be an elector entitled to vote at the election of members of the House of Representatives, or a person qualifies to become such elector, and must have been for three years at the least a resident within the limits of the Commonwealth as existing at the time when he was chosen:

(ii.) He must be a subject of the Queen, either natural-born or for at least five years naturalized under a law of the United Kingdom, or of a Colony which has become or becomes a State, or of the Commonwealth, or of a State.

I smell a by-election. At least he bats for Abbotts team otherwise there might be a slush fund ready to send him to jail for fraud.
Posted by Bugsy, Wednesday, 25 August 2010 5:10:01 PM
"Until the Parliament otherwise provides"

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/cea1918233/s163.html
--
COMMONWEALTH ELECTORAL ACT 1918 - SECT 163
Qualifications for nomination [see Note 6]

(1) A person who:

(a) has reached the age of 18 years;

(b) is an Australian citizen; and

(c) is either:

(i) an elector entitled to vote at a House of Representatives election; or

(ii) a person qualified to become such an elector;

is qualified to be elected as a Senator or a member of the House of Representatives.

(2) A person is not entitled to be nominated for election as a Senator or a member of the House of Representatives unless the person is qualified under subsection (1).

--

Time will tell how well he goes but I'm not convinced that others who have spent their lives in trade union roles or as lawyers have a better understanding of the real world.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 25 August 2010 5:34:12 PM
Bugsy,
I believe it also says,

s 34 of the Constitution says in part:
"Until the Parliament otherwise provides, the qualifications of a member of the House of Representatives shall be as follows:
"(i.) He must be of the full age of twenty-one years..."

Parliament did otherwise provide in s 163 of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918, which reads in part:
"A person who: (a) has reached the age of 18 years."

Looking at this i would imagine it will be ok.
Posted by nairbe, Wednesday, 25 August 2010 5:35:31 PM
Oh, come now, nairbe.

>>They may well have had much to be angry about but to elect a child to go to represent them in Canberra is questionable<<

I distinctly recall that at the age of twenty I knew absolutely everything there was to know.

Women. Politics. How to balance twin carburettors.

Everything.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 25 August 2010 5:42:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy