The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Will this be a win for the Libs but a loss for Democracy.?

Will this be a win for the Libs but a loss for Democracy.?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Contrary to the opinions of some on OLO I have little of no interest in which party wins this election as both are dysfunctional.

They both play manipulation games...do what it takes.

My concern is that the Liberals will win the most number of seats but won't win the most number of votes i.e. the minority of people will determine the govt.

I know the Libs will say that is the system but it is demonstrably un democratic.
If it comes about it will be a Queensland gerrymander.

If it goes the other way then I will remain equally unhappy.

I also make clear the election should sensibly go to the party with the most number of votes after factoring in all the preferential votes. Preferential voting IS the best system.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 11:30:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What about if you take into account the primary vote of the ALP vs the Libs? ie no coalition and no psuedo (greens) coalition.

Just like in tennis, you can win more points and lose the match.

One player can actually win 60% of the points and lose the match.

The moral is, you have to win when it matters.

Just like you have to win where it matters.

The rules of the game are known to all before play commences.

Life isn't fair, and only communists want to make it so.

Winners are Grinners.

To the victor go the spoils.

As always, and forever more.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 3:17:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
examinator,
Totally agree with you. But where do we make the electoral change and how. Australians are very suspicious of any constitutional changes or am i confused can this be achieved without a referendum.
If the Lib's are to win with more seats but not the popular vote it won't be the first time. Little John got back the first time that way. I do consider it an injustice as the pandering to an area like western sydney can win you an election. Broad band is a good example, you can give it to western sydney for next to nothing and win lots of votes but you can not give it to Woodanilling in Wilson Tuckey heart land unless you make a major infrastructure investment. The difference is population density or is it the density of the population.
Posted by nairbe, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 4:45:44 PM
Examinator we just must live with the out come it would not be the first time an election has been won that way.
in my opinion your views say to me at least you should not complain you have made the choice not to be part of who ever wins.
Bigger things concern me this mornings Sydney Herald had an editorial by its finance editor.
It spoke very well of Labor and the GFC but must be seen as questioning voters understanding of issues.
IF Abbott won, he will not, you could make a mint in 12 months selling car stickers saying don't blame me I voted Labor, more popular for lier's but sell? like hot cakes think about it.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 5:41:08 PM
“this mornings Sydney Herald had an editorial by its finance editor.
It spoke very well of Labor”

Let’s be honest Belly, over many, many years and over many different administrations, the Sydney Morning Heralds finance editor has spoken well of Labor!
Posted by Horus, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 7:36:57 PM
All I can say, is that it will be a win for some political party - and all parties in general, but as usual, a bloody great loss for the Australian people and their industries. Our industries - or what is left of them, will go down like like a battered and destroyed ship at sea, but the people who put it there - our politicians, all of them - will continue to take obscene salaries and perks which they have given to themselves, and give themselves a pat on the back and another rise for being part of destroying our economy. The politicians of all the countries in the world are similarly responsible for this "global economy" debacle. They should not be rewarded, they deserve to be put into a detention camp like any other enemy of Australia would receive.
Posted by merv09, Thursday, 19 August 2010 8:29:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy