The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia and the Burqa.

Australia and the Burqa.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
I personally find Baseball caps a bit offensive.

They represent a foreign war-like culture and have no place in our society.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 2:07:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
with my looks I should be wearing a burqa. If it's only purpose is to hide a female's face to prevent males from getting frisky then why not just use a brown paper bag ? No, that's not a good idea either, uses too many trees. Much simpler to accept those who are made in their God's image and look them in face. The exceptionally stylish & elegant muslim ladies who cover their head but not their face can still practice their faith so why do others have to cover their face. What have they got to hide ? Maybe it's because many of them aren't women.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 7:27:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We wouldn’t wear budgie-smugglers or a bikini down the main street of town. We can’t go naked on most beaches. We can’t walk into many establishments while wearing a singlet or having bare feet.

There are all sorts of clothing restrictions, both formalised in law and informal but upheld by peoples’ collective sense of decency.

Public attire that covers one’s face or whole head except for the eyes is just another of many affronts to our sensibilities or accepted norms when it comes to clothing.

We don’t even need to consider religious undertones or the female suppression undertones of something like the burqa. Just looking at it in the context of reasonable clothing standards should be well and truly enough for us to say no to it in this country.

If we were to accept the burqa, then we should also accept the right for people to dress pretty much as they wish anywhere in public, including wearing face-covering masks or the briefest of attire while walking down the street and into shops or going naked on public beaches everywhere, dependent only on the ambient temperature and not on what some people might think.

If we accept the burqa, then we should accept all manner of clothing in all manner of settings, just as long as it is not a safety or liability issue.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 8:09:08 AM
What a shame, Hasbeen.

>>unfortunately a bug ate my computer, just recently, so I no longer have the direct references<<

But thanks for the grumpyoldsod site. Material enough there for a lifetime of indulgent self-pity. Funny and well-written, though.

Google Chrome wouldn't let Yahoo search through the site for your original examples, for some reason, so they remain a mystery.

Your pessimism about the old Dart is fortunately belied by the experience of being there, which is still a cultural and intellectual treat compared to here. Thumb through the newspapers side-by-side with our own, and you'll see what I mean.

Don't spend too much time with the Daily Mail, though. It rots the brain.

And Boaz, Boaz, what are we to do with you?

>>The Burqa is total concealment and is thus a danger to public safety as already demonstrated by a number of "men in burqa's" using the dress to mask identity during robberies.<<

It has obviously escaped your notice that the burqa is female apparel.

So the example of men using them in the course of a robbery is no more significant than if they had worn balaclavas.

Personally, I see no reason why the existing rules on face-concealment – evidenced by the “please remove your motorcycle helmets” notices in places like Banks – should not be extended to any form of covering. Including balaclavas. This would take religion out of the equation, and leave the choice where it belongs: with the wearer.

But in the street, I find it no more or less significant than the motorcycle helmet.

And please, Boaz, stop trying to read “code” into everything. It didn't work when you tried to interpret French law, and it doesn't work here.

>>What you read was code for... "We depend heavily in the Muslim vote for our political survival"<<

Any political party that “depends heavily” on 3.4% of the population is doomed to fail anyway, wouldn't you think?

Particularly when they won't all vote the same way.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 9:50:32 AM
I have to say that I do not like the burqua. It is a symbol of repression. What worries me is that as a tolerant society, these sorts of things, once accepted, will encourage further abuse of our culture. It is deceptive and insidious. I am quite certain that this foray into our society will not stop with just a difference in attire. Before long sharia law will be demanded and that starts us down a slippery slope towards all sorts of social upheaval. It is the avowed intention of many Muslims to create Islamist states with their own culture and laws. If we visit countries that have certain dress rules and customs, and we are obliged to abide by them, they should respect ours in return.
Posted by snake, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 10:39:30 AM
That's quite an imagination you have there, snake.

>> the burqua... is a symbol of repression... will encourage further abuse of our culture... deceptive and insidious... Before long sharia law will be demanded... social upheaval<<

All that, from a piece of headgear that is employed by a tiny minority of a tiny minority in our society.

It may be a symbol of repression to you, but some women choose to wear it.

You fail to say how this is actually an abuse of our culture, let alone how it encourages "further abuse". From my own observation, we have an exceptionally tolerant culture here, which is one of its great attractions.

And in what way is a face-covering deceptive? Who is trying to deceive whom, about what?

Insidious? How?

And no-one can "demand" Sharia law. We have a democracy, one that does not become subservient to a tiny minority.

(Except where the Greens are concerned, of course. There's always an exception)

And social upheaval? I think you may be overstating the case, just a little.

Don't you?
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 11:04:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14