The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia and the Burqa.

Australia and the Burqa.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All
Dear csteele,

You ask if I had an opinion about something being
"unBritish?"

The attitudes about Britain that my parents
found when they came to this country was that
everyone at that time thought of themselves as
British citizens, and they were told they were
part of an empire on which the sun never set.
Maps of the world were distributed to schools
apparently, with colours to show the British
Empire covered roughly a quarter of the world.

I grew up in an Australia that challenged authority
and established values. Mine was not the Menzies era
that my parents had loved, and lived through.
However, having said
that, I still feel that those values - self-reliance,
reward for effort, and social conservatism remain
deeply ingrained in the Australian character.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 16 August 2010 5:04:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, very interesting observations, I would be interested to discuss many of the points:
-Morality of nudity vs garb
-Any political factors that would get one to differentiate various clerical garb with Islamic garb.
-Any discriminatory standards applied to other forms of dress for offensiveness (though as far as I'm aware they are not actually banned).

Sorry Csteele- I meant many Europeans I met personally in Australia and abroad telling me this. Nothing more substantial to show than that.
Posted by King Hazza, Monday, 16 August 2010 5:27:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do wish you'd include references, Hasbeen.

>>an Anglo Saxon's application for a job at a council is refused, because they "have not filled their quota for Islamics, & africans yet"... Did you hear the one about the nurse who was fined 250 GB pounds, for putting her garbage bin out an hour early?<<

I love stories like that, but can never find them - even using the keywords you provide.

So, where do I find these?
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 16 August 2010 5:40:21 PM
Weekend feet up I watched a story about the holy book of Muslims.
Like the Christian Bible maybe more so, this Austar doco seemed to say the book has been re written and has different interpretations.
Now Lets be fair, was it once the fashion for just one tribe to keep sun and sand out of the eyes?
Is it a way of keeping women in their place? hidden.
I do not like it, some wear it only to provoke, yes they have said this.
If I on holidays wandered around an Arab street in thongs and shorts would I be able to?
Brand me red neck, insult me, but I do not like or want it,do not except separation as a cultural advantage or some thing we should aim for.
PS
What brave Christian parson/minister would walk the streets of Saudi Arabia? in his /her Church's uniform? and would they live to talk of it.
OK to want to be fair but I doubt our concerns carry weight with some on the other side.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 16 August 2010 6:12:45 PM
Dear Csteele

your comfort might be a bit misplaced mate.

//The immigration minister Damian Green called such a move as ''rather un-British'' and running contrary to conventions of a ''tolerant and mutually respectful society'//

Do you know much about the dynamics of UK politics ?

What you read was code for this:

a) "We depend heavily in the Muslim vote for our political survival"
b) "In order to even take the reins of government, we had to form a coalition with those who's ideas we despise (Lib Dems).

Now..the Lib Dems fielded at least 15 Muslim candidates in the last election.

Please.. catch up...and read between the lines.

Foxy...I believe you are in glaring error by conflating the Burqa with 'religious dress' of a more general kind. You completely gloss over the security aspects.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/06/2891505.htm

No one is trying to ban the Hijab.. why ? because the persons gender and identity can be seen. The Burqa is total concealment and is thus a danger to public safety as already demonstrated by a number of "men in burqa's" using the dress to mask identity during robberies.

Hijab...fine. Burqa...no way, not now, not ever...ever.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 16 August 2010 7:39:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As much as I dislike the reasons why some Muslim women feel the need to wear a Burqa, I would not like to see a democratic society like Australia force them not to wear it, except perhaps in legal situations where a face needs to be seen.

As a predominantly Christian country, we cannot say what other people should or should not wear, except in the case of common decency.

We also cannot hold the moral high ground for trying to keep other religions from practicing what they like and condemning them for wanting to do so in our country.

Christianity has a history of trying to convert many other countries to Christianity for thousands of years, by marching into other places like India, China, Africa, and America and demanding they change their own ways for that of a Christian.

How can we now condemn others for trying to live their own religious beliefs in a foreign country, when Christians have been doing this for years?

A bit hypocritical really.

Let them wear their Burqa if they want, as long as I don't have to!
Posted by suzeonline, Monday, 16 August 2010 7:52:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy