The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Women in the Christian church

Women in the Christian church

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 60
  11. 61
  12. 62
  13. All
Dear we are unique,
I wasn't "after a bite". I am genuine in my comments (which you don't address) and frustrated that women don't stand up for themselves. As I've said elsewhere, women have the numbers to change the world overnight, but instead they provide the bedrock for the institutions that maintain them as second-class citizens, and our so-called "culture" in its state of decadence. Somehow the Catholic church, above all others, has managed to reconcile decadence, elitism, perennial inequality (and other obscenities), along with all the pomp and ceremony, with a doctrine based on humility!

<it goes without saying that most Australian women are far too busy in our lives to sit and peruse newspapers on-line or in hard copy. The majority of women I mix with socially and through work do not have the luxury of 'time' to either come across or address these ridiculous media articles.

Most are mothers who perform the lions share of the domestic scene in addition to working and raising their children.>

Men have been coping this rubbish for years. I raised four very young kids on my own for a few years while studying full-time, and I never got behind domestically. Yes there are still men who bludge on their wives, but I've seen plenty of instances of the opposite too.
But this isn't a domestic dispute.
Women have the power to vote with their feet. But I guess that despite all the complaining, they don't have the stomach for it, and that keeps them sitting meekly in their pews.
Posted by Squeers, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 6:50:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
StG,

A troll is someone who jumps in and posts inflammatory responses on a forum purely for the sake of provoking a reaction.

Considering how poignant and relevant TBC's raising of this topic is at the moment, I fail to see how it renders him a “troll”.
Posted by AJ Philips, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 9:27:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The question about the position of women in the church holds only a passing interest for me, so I'll refrain from comment.

But I do find it interesting that the thread has been used to bag - of all people - the Salvos.

My experience of them has been entirely the opposite of the comments made here. I have found those I have met to be, one and all, the most gentle, compassionate and caring religious folk of the lot.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but as far as I am concerned they come closest to exemplifying the teachings of their religion of any organization or sect.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 9:28:06 AM
TBC... you are a bit confused there old son :)

You are seeking to understand 'Christian' groups on the basis of an ever changing secular outlook.

The issue of Women in the Church is best left to the particular traditions which have definite positions on this. Why? well.. if they are not walking in the will of God, they will simply die out..and your problem is solved.

On the other hand, if they ARE walking in that will, which has nothing to do with regarding women as 'evil' as you put it, then they will flourish and no amount of secular sledgehammering will make a scrap of difference.

Rather than just look at the various contortions of media influence stories about the Churches, why not do some study yourself on how God regards women ?

The relationship between the male and female in marriage is outlined clearly and never in terms of 'they are evil', but rather that they are precious and to be loved.

Leadership is the main issue, and for that you can argue with Paul.

Still, even within the early Church there WERE female leaders, though not of the 'Bishop' kind. They were deaconesses.. servants (in the sense all Christians should be so)

Do some reading.. why you might even try the Bible :)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 9:46:02 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TBC you ask

‘Can you send in the set number of words and explain why the Pope regards women being turned into priests as being as big a sin as having sex with 'the kiddies' in the choir?
Or why that nice old bearded man from Canterbury is unable to persuade half his flock that women are 'OK' to have as priests?’

I am not the person to ask regarding the Catholic church. Biblical Christianity and Catholicism are miles apart although there are some Catholics that follow Christ. Why they stay in that system is between them and God. Maybe they think they can reform the organisation. In my mind the corrupt UN would be easier to reform.

’It's a real mystery to some of us who deal with women so well, and on a daily basis too.
As for your cruel jibes.... dear oh dear, I am taken aback by your utterances.’

I see nothing cruel about my post. You have shown a hatred for Chaplains, churches and anything decent in previous post.

’This is a serious issue that we all have an interest in. As secular society has started to come to grips with women as equal-beings, still hard to see in some areas of course, you Christians have taken a Dr Who leap backwards in time.’

You say this is a serious issue. Who is forcing women to belong to the Catholic church? Does everyone have to conform to your secular dogma where woman are actually reduced to sex objects. They need to prove themselves by doing what is un natural (wearing the pants in the house).

TBC
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 9:55:43 AM
con'd
'Why should secular society continue to afford any privileges to your religion, or any other religion for that matter, if it is so set on diminishing the role of more than half of our community?

’Suppose Cardinal Pell said his 'special girl', Kristina Keneally, should not be premier simply because she was a woman, how would that sit with all those goons in the ALP in NSW.’

Society gets far more out of church services than whatever tax breaks you are referring to. Many people generously give to the churches which is more than I can say to secular organisations who continually want Government handouts. Why should tax payers money be given to teach your secular dogma?

‘Or our new PM Runner?

Why should our new PM be denied her position, on the basis of her gender?’

In a democracy she should not be denied her position. If we as a country a so dumb to vote for a person who is godless and living in sin we deserve what we get. She might make others who are living in sin and denial feel smug but our country will reap what its sows. Having women lead men in all areas of society is God’s sure sign of judgement over pathetically weak and emasculated men. It has no place in God’s church or kingdom.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 9:57:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 60
  11. 61
  12. 62