The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > When you cast your vote, please remember...

When you cast your vote, please remember...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
DreamOn, thanks for the feedback.

In my mind, the parallels are clear if a little extreme. I probably didn't explain them clearly, though, and I apologise for that.

In a nutshell, I'm arguing that to vote for someone because of who they AREN'T rather than who they ARE is to endorse potentially bad policy. It is rewarding someone simply for not being Labor or Liberal, rather than for coming up with something refreshing, new and productive. It is negative voting, just as badmouthing political rivals is negative campaigning.

That said, I'm not going to go as far as saying that the Greens' policies are bad. I do suspect that they are empty words, and that if the Greens found themselves in a real position of power they would be horrified at the thought of having to follow through, but then again they have never been given the chance to prove themselves in a meaningful way.

I agree that the Greens should have a voice in Parliament, because they represent the views of a considerable number of Australians. I do, however, worry about the potentially inflated influence they will be able to exercise not because the people agree with them, but because the people don't agree with the others.
Posted by Otokonoko, Friday, 23 July 2010 10:21:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DreamOn
1. Phasing out coal. We would all like to see that, but, until there is a solution to the potential job losses, or at lease hard evidence to the contrary, then I don't support that.

3. There is a difference between 'safeguarding stocks' and down right 'lockouts'. Do your reserch and you will find that it's the ameture fishers that are being locked out and, once again, thousands of jobs are at risk.

4. Try telling this to anyone who lost their home to a somewhat 'preventable' bushfire.

6. Rather than try to change some elses laws, how about trying to assist Tasmainian farmers so they don't have to sell thier land/livelihoods.

You think IR is a problem here now, just wait until the likes of China get their roots imbedded here.

They can see the problems looming with our increasing 'food production' costs. In ten/twenty years they won't be able to afford to buy our goods and they have nowhere to grow thier own. Only a fool would allow our best AG land to be sold off like this.

Unfortunatly, with the 'greens', it's normally a case of 'our way, or the high way'.

History shows this when they held the balance of power back in the late 90's.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 24 July 2010 6:17:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Crying for the high price brigade.
Reality please.
On buying you want prices to be low on selling you want high.
Market forces drive it both ways.
Take an honest look at greens policy's.
SEE? now you understand why they are the third power forever at best
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 24 July 2010 1:46:24 PM
Well everyone appears to know the difference between in principal assertions and the "Devil in the detail."

I am yet to hear or read the latest *Green* policies in detail in fact so I shall go and have a sniff about and see what substance is being published by everyone.

However, despite Belly's claims, the *Greens* have made some excellent ground in recent times and the fact that they appear poised to scoop the "Balance of Power" is a great testament to their numerous achievements.

I wonder if the Indigenous party has gotten up and whether they have a policy on burning off pre the fire season for you *RehTub*?

And I'd bet they support recreational fishing and maybe some feral animal hunting tourism too? Better to get the Japs down here to do something like that to pump up the tourist industry than watching them butcher whales and dolphins to the brink of extinction in certain locales to sate their blood lust.

.. Re property, the bottom line for me is that minimum wage earners can no longer afford to own their own home in Australia and that to me is an absolute travesty.

The distinct lack of transparency and accountability from builders and tradesmen in the quoting and billing is appalling. What is it these days? $AU2,000 per square metre, $AU2,500 per square metre? And for what exactly?

No. Its not the way it needs to be done if you wish to encourage competition.

It should be, here are my drawings, .. and what I want is a quote detailing the complete inventory of the type and quantity of materials used along with the itemised prices.

I am in favor of profit being disclosed, so people can see a builder knocking up 8 $AU250,000 houses a year at $AU50,00 profit per go.

How many doctors even make that kind of money, and I'd point out that it doesn't take too much expertise and training to be able to fix everything inside a house. The same can't be said about people's bodies though.
Posted by DreamOn, Saturday, 24 July 2010 8:41:29 PM
DreamOn,
You should have noted that I did not comment on the 'whale debate', so please stop linking me to this one.

As for controled buring. That makes perfect sence and anyone should know that. Less fuel = less risk of fires becomming uncontainable.

Also, with many forested areas being 'out of bounds', they have become a breeding haven for feral animals. That one is certainly a 'no brainer'. Farmers used to manage much of these areas once, now they are locked out.

Builders ripping us off. You have my support there. They are a joke. Leave school with a very limited education, learn how to lay and finnish concrete, wow that;s hard, and earn $400+ a day. Any wonder we are in a mess. That's more than some doctors earn.

Housing affordabillity is tough, no doubting that. But, if a couple takes home say $1100 a week they should be able to save for a house around $350K, unless of cause they want something that is out of thier reach.

It depend what they spend thier 'disposable' money on.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 24 July 2010 9:46:45 PM
*RehTub* here are the Greens policies on "Natural Resources."

http://greens.org.au/policies/agriculture-natural-resources/natural-resources

In principal, I can't see any problem with what they are saying and can't as of yet see any evidence to suggest as you say that they seek a ban on all recreational fishing on the east coast of Australia.

If they did, and if their policy as outlined in the link above is legitimate, then I would assume that it has an ecological basis.

INDIGENOUS: SEASONAL BACK BURNING - TICK

INDIGENOUS: FERAL BEAST HUNTING TOURISM - TICK

INDIGENOUS: ECO RANGERS - TICK

INDIGENOUS: TRADITIONAL & ORGANIC EATERIES to compliment ECO TOURISM (indigenous spice, earth ovens, traditional utensils & serving solutions, native leaf wraps etc)

DREAMON: Review and regulate building standards and practices with a view to scaling down costs in the interests of AFFORDABILITY AND NATIONAL SAVINGS.

DREAMON: REVIEW AND REGULATE BANKING to make loans for small business comparable with home loans, noting the comment that the big banks are "too big to fail" AND adding to that "and too big to do as they please, whenever they please."

*Yuyutsu* mayhaps a "ceiling" on prices is not the ideal way to go however, prices can't keep going up and up and up AND there needs to be a correction, which indeed will be painful for some AS property values are excessively inflated and no longer affordable for single minimum income earners, raising the issue of the Australian *QUALITY OF LIFE* standard and economically forced partnering.

DREAMON: Regulate quoting and invoicing practice in the interests of TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY.

:

DREAMON/GREEN: DON'T ABUSE CHILDREN BY LOCKING THEM UP FOR EXTENDED PERIODS WITHOUT CHARGE OR TRIAL AND THEREBY IMPERILING THEIR MENTAL HEALTH

:

DREAMON: Regulate Medics back to Medicare, Lawyers back to the taxable rate and Dentists back to the private insurance threshold EXCEPTING those who directly participate and contribute to generating international revenue streams such as that from new tech product, procedures or services sold on the international market or the legalese for export contracts and the like.
Posted by DreamOn, Sunday, 25 July 2010 3:04:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All