The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gillard - Mining tax capitulation?

Gillard - Mining tax capitulation?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
While the full details of the deal are to be revealed this morning, it is clear that Gillard has caved in to just about every demand of the big 3 miners.

This is even better for the miners than what they were lobbying for a couple of weeks ago, and then the reduction in tax would have been from $12bn to $2bn in the first 2 years.

After all the damage to labor, they walk away with probably less take than with the increase in tobacco tax, and not having included the small miners, she has not completely silenced criticism either.

Lets see what further backflips are on the cards:
- Asylum seekers
- Building education Rort.
- ETS
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 2 July 2010 6:33:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SM,
Give it a rest SM, you don't want discussion you are just wanting to push are just being a political mouthpiece for the LIBERAL party.

Most of which is hypercritical BS .
Posted by examinator, Friday, 2 July 2010 8:50:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shadow M...if she does NOT 'backflip' on the issue of ETS as in the TRADING aspect (ie..make Bob Carr and Labour rich through the back door)

then..she will incurr my absolute *wrath*.. (as if she even knows I exist :)

But I can still do my thing in public places in a way which should contribute to some unmeasurable degree to Labor's demise this next election..if not at Fed then at State level.

grrrrrr..

I'm also on the warpath about Assylum Seekers(Country shoppers/jobtakers/Centrelink sponges) who have opted OUT of protection by the UN convenion by virtue of Article 31..i.e..

a) They did not go DIRECTLY to a place of safety
b) Many of them have engaged in behavior of an illegal nature.. piracy and intimidation and riotous acts.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 2 July 2010 9:18:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Really, SM? The reports I've read say that the resource rent tax has been reduced to an acceptable 30% (from 40%) and had its name changed to Minerals Resource Rent Tax (MRRT). Hardly a "backflip" - more of a negotiated outcome, I'd say.

Of course, if Gillard had refused to budge on it you'd be bleating about that, wouldn't you?

Boaz - if I was an ALP supporter, I'd be quite delighted to see hateful frootloops "doing their thing in public places" about loony conspiracy theories, and putting the boot into unfortunate asylum seekers.

<< Assylum (sic) Seekers(Country shoppers/jobtakers/Centrelink sponges) >>

What a great advertisement for Christian compassion you are!
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 2 July 2010 9:30:23 AM
Australia's resources are your resources. You should get a fair share of what belongs to you. These companies can just come onto your land and take what's under it.

This is a HUGE set back for the people, but HUGE step forward for private enterprise and their confidence in being able to pressure the people who we trust with power to do what's best for us.

She gave the mining companies a better deal than what they were lobbying for.
Posted by StG, Friday, 2 July 2010 10:16:31 AM
The lesson we might all take from this is that Swan, as treasurer, failed to sell a badly explained tax, which then allowed the wealthy to dictate the terms of what they were prepared to pay.

We have lost out badly here, whatever the rate now is.

Our tax system already has loopholes galore in it that clearly allow the miners to evade their tax responsibilities, but that was not enough for them.

The rate has lifted from 5% to 12% too I think CJM, and they still get a lower tax rate too.

Meanwhile, 'the wurkers' will be engaging in wage offsets to lift their super, still have no escape from taxes open to others, and still swathes of people will be gifted tax free zones..salary sacrifice, negative gearing lurks, no tax on religions, and so on.

The idea of 'tax reform' has totally evaporated under Swan's heavy handed dealings and the Rudd-ALP visionless failure to tackle the topic seriously.

What Queen Julia did was probably the same as what Rudd was about to do.

Let's hope Bob Brown tightens it up somewhat... no company tax reductions for a start... and how come 'gold' escaped the tax?

The one good change is the title of it, and only a gormless nitwit would ever have called it a 'supertax' whilst running a neo-liberal government that supported super profits by encouraging so much tax rorting and hating the 'deserving poor'.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Friday, 2 July 2010 10:18:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy