The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Prof. Katzenstein theory

Prof. Katzenstein theory

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I just realized I celebrated 5 years on the great OLO project.

I thought I will come back with an interesting topic by Dr Katzenstein : why the clash of civilizations is wrong?

In the link below, the amazing Professor Katzenstein talks about the responsibility shift theory and how it replaces the power shift advocated in S. Huntington theory ‘clash of civilizations’.

It’s a 50 minutes audio lecture:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bigideas/stories/2010/2881513.htm

You may find the first 5 minutes a bit academic/boring, but it gets intersting after that.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Monday, 28 June 2010 7:08:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear F.H.... why not save us the trouble of spending an hour of our lives listening...and just tell us what his point is ?

We know what 'your' point is:) perhaps his and yours coincide?
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 29 June 2010 6:47:11 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One more thing..I'll call your Prof Kat theory and raise you a

http://therealbarackobama.wordpress.com/2010/06/27/cloward-piven-strategy-voter-registration-plan-for-the-poor-and-unemployed-1984-election-cycle/

"Cloward Piven strategy"..... But don't worry..that's a bit of red herring..I'll get to that in an appropriate thread.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 29 June 2010 7:05:43 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boazy: << why not save us the trouble of spending an hour of our lives listening...and just tell us what his point is ? >>

That's so funny coming from you, Boazy - the poster of interminable YouTube and off-topic links. And you have the gall to call me a hypocrite?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 29 June 2010 10:24:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Awww.. CJ.. did it hurt ? :)

Even here.. you remember it.. and play the man as usual.

If I aim a well deserved derogatory assesment of your views or even you,(at times) it's "Hypocrisy" but if you call me some horrible name it's just criticism is it ?..... ummmm yeh.

Well..blessing to you and peace.... you will need all you can get... as we all.

FH..I see your Prof Katz... is also a member of the evil CFR.. (strike 1)

He was recognized by the American Political Science Association (strike 2) which presents a Woodrow Wilson prize each year... oooh my.. WILSON ?

He was one of the architects of the destruction of America... a progressive yob who did more damage than most others put together.

I'm wondering of that says something about Prof Katz Political orientation?

Ok.. his talk.

He refers to "Huntingtons Unitary conception of Civilization"

He says "In Huntingtons view..civilizations balance power rather than reflecting augmented processes and a broad range of human practices"

He also says that Huntington sees large groupings of nations which share commonalities as 'civilizations' in themselves. But that does not seem to be supported by the evidence.

Huntington's theory is:

The Clash of Civilizations is a theory, proposed by political scientist Samuel P. Huntington, that people's cultural and religious identities will be the primary source of conflict in the post-Cold War world.

H is referring to the clash of ideas.. which could be within nations or groups of nations.

But K cliams H's position "Lacks conceptual richness or empirical support" ....HUH ? has this K been living in a small tin shed most of his life ?

Bottom line, I think K is trying to understand people of faith from a secular or academic standpoint.. in other words.. an exercise in futilty.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 29 June 2010 1:28:16 PM
There is no clash of civilisations, there is only one.

There *is* a dispute over whose practices constitute civilisation and whose constitute wall paper and other decorative upholstery.

Once all the upholstery is clearly identified, we can move on.

Rusty.
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 12:28:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy