The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Humanitarian crisis

Humanitarian crisis

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Dear stevenlmeyer,

Rudd did not say all cancer sufferers should come and live in the big cities for treatment rather he saw a government responsibility to take services to them. Why is this different?

I think if the Western world can accommodate the wishes of European and other Jewry to identify so strongly with the land of Palestine as being an integral part of their survival and culture (despite the very real impacts on the lives of Jews previously living throughout the Middle East, Palestinians, and on global security), then Australia should be able to accommodate our own indigenous citizen's strong connection to their land.

We should note that although positions within the Aboriginal Health Worker sector are well patronised by indigenous people, nursing and medical degrees are not.

A study looking into this reluctance to progress their qualifications found that ”barriers to continuing study or career advancement faced by AHWs and AHW students could be categorized around three core issues: support; infrastructure; and marketing.” All would be to a large degree addressed by what I have proposed.

The support was not just family but also employer willingness to allow study leave. I see teaching hospitals as being more likely to show understanding toward this issue and have the capacity to address another primary factor which was the lack of childcare.

Infrastructure concerns around distance education and access to internet and library facilities would be fixed while the marketing of the opportunities available would be greatly enhanced by having these facilities in close proximity.

So for me the best thing that could happen is for the government to move educational and job opportunities to where our indigenous Australians live.
Posted by csteele, Saturday, 26 June 2010 4:51:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So for me the best thing that could happen is for the government to move educational and job opportunities to where our indigenous Australians live.
csteele,
this has been done for a long time & is being done now. The challenge is to induce the young to take up the offer. If you know how to do this you'll be a rich man over night so to speak.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 27 June 2010 7:09:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual, csteele,

This is cloud cuckooland stuff. There is a reason people all over the world are migrating to cities. It's called OPPORTUNITY.

You cannot replicate in the back of beyond the sorts of opportunities that are available in even a moderate size city.

The Aboriginal settlements are not viable. Period.

However, as I said in previous posts, I do think there is a case for paying reparations to Aborigines.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 27 June 2010 8:20:24 AM
Stevenlmeyer,

Re: "However, as I said in previous posts, I do think there is a case for paying reparations to Aborigines."

Gee Steven, I thought we had already been doing that--leastways for the past 30-40 years!
Posted by Horus, Sunday, 27 June 2010 9:01:24 AM
Stevenlmeyer,
nothing personal but I sense a distinct lack of experience in your comment. If you knew how many opportunities are being offered you'd unquestionably change your opinion. Let me put it this way, if I were given those opportunities I'd be the happiest bloke on the planet.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 27 June 2010 9:28:46 AM
Dear stevenlmeyer,

You may need to remind me again, what is the FOCUS?

I thought it was about better health outcomes not questions about the economic viability of communities.

Hell putting aside the last decade Western Australia has only just started paying its way. It had been subsidised by the Eastern States for over 100 years and we are still paying a hefty price to keep the NT afloat.

Where was the call for them to be shut down and moved to the East?

Dear Individual,

In an effort to paraphrase steven I may have given the wrong impression of what the most important thing is. It is of course to see a dramatic reduction of horrific health outcomes that plague some of our rural indigenous citizens. The other things I listed should be seen as secondary benefits.

I'm not sure it is rocket science.

“We welcome any real support for indigenous health and welfare and even two police will assist, but the Howard Government declared an emergency at our community over two years ago - when they appointed an administrator to our health clinic - and since then we have been without a doctor, we have less health workers, our council has been sacked all our youth and health programmes have been cut.”

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/06/25/1971763.htm
Posted by csteele, Sunday, 27 June 2010 5:03:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy