The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > weather forecasting

weather forecasting

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I've been a beach bum in Noosa for three weeks. The weather has been a mixture of lovely sunny days, foul wet and windy days and everything in between.

I've watched the weather forecast each evening and... it has just been hopeless!! That is; the correlation between the forecast and weather the next day is just terrible! In fact, I'd say that within the last three weeks it has been worse than zero.

Today was a lovely day. But the forecast last night was for anything but.

How can the weather bureau get it so wrong so often?
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 18 June 2010 7:08:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludig,
We don't give them a big enough budget.

How do you expect them to get it right with only that amount to do modeling? The models at Noosa are better

I doubt you have had everything at Noosa.

We have had a few really cracking frosts this week.

I'll send one up if you like.

By the way we have had several threads about population that you have missed. Serves you right for being on the beach and eyeing the girls.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 19 June 2010 10:25:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig I wanna be a beach bum too.

The weather - my mum always said to watch the ants, they knew when it was going to rain but I don't think that will be taken as scientific evidence for the BOM.

Enjoy the sun (when it appears). :)
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 19 June 2010 1:46:25 PM
Banjo, you've got it. At the moment it is more rewarding to sit on the beach and do a bit of birdwatching (of the human variety), as well as indulging in my other main interests of birdwatching (of the feathered variety), botany and geology... rather than headbang about population and sustainability issues on OLO ands elsewhere.

But it won't be long bvefore I get right back into it.

As for the Bureau of Meteorology, I'm not too worried about their forecasting. I just seem to have struck a really bad patch where they have not been up to the task at all. I'm sure that on average they are much better.

And yes, I'm glad I am in Noosa and not ins some really cooooold place down in Vic or Tas.

Pelican, yeah watching the ants is about as good as BOM when it comes to Noossa's weather of late!

Anyway, it was a wonderful fully sunny day today. I will enjoy it while it lasts. Thanks.

[I'm on an internet portal where the keyboard has a missing delete key!! ! So I have been unable to fix up errors! At least I could separate out a few mis-typings so that they only appear as rubbish at the end (:>/ ]

} l nb
)aw
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 20 June 2010 5:47:48 PM
Hi Ludwig :)

Here on the Granite Belt we've just had the most beautiful weekend, winter weather-wise - despite a dire forecast. We've had a couple of very frosty mornings, followed by still, sunny days. Apparently that's when the cod move, although my unexpected fishing trip yesterday didn't reinforce that theory...

Stunning night here tonight. It's only a half moon, but it's like a cold, clear twilight outside. After the moon goes down in a little while, I'll put on my beanie and jacket and pour a scotch, and go out on the verandah and check out the stars through the telescope. On nights like this we have a sky that's as clear as anywhere in mainland Australia, with very little light pollution.

What are you doing in Noosa - work or holiday? Good to hear from you.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 20 June 2010 11:40:33 PM
Yes Ludwig, weather forecasters use massive computer models and they cannot predict three or four days forward
Those obsessed with Climate change use massive computer models and expect us to believe they can predict decades ahead.
I have heard if you squeeze a piece of seaweed it provides a good forecast.
Unfortunately , if you squeeze a climate change advocate on matters of accuracy, they still lie.

I think someone is trying to fool us about the qualitative accuracy of climate predictions.

And the weather bureau... well, they are public bureaucrats, say no more.
Posted by Stern, Monday, 21 June 2010 8:42:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy