The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > OK - What should a Nation's Military do to Blockade Runners?

OK - What should a Nation's Military do to Blockade Runners?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
" it is just groups of violent men using violence because they get off on it."

and women.
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 12:46:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Once again Israel oversteps the mark and once again portrays itself as the innocent victim.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 1:55:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Custard, Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:36:48 PM
Firstly, the Royal Australian Navy has been involved in PRECISELY these operations, and still are today. The response would be predicated upon the issue at hand, but given the facts, an armed boarding party would be dispatched to (a)take control of the vessel; ;(b) pacify the crew/passengers; and (c) force said vessels to proceed to a Port where they can be interned/questioned.]

Yes indeed however, a very poor analogy given the huge difference in that Australia does not engage its military assets outside of the legally accepted international norms as administered by the Charter of the United Nations.

Australia’s military commitment, known as Operation Slipper, operates as part of the NATO led International Security Assistance Force, a peace enforcement mission under Chapter VII of the UN Charter and at the invitation of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan as provided under the United Nations Security Council resolution 1833.

The Royal Australian Navy contributes a main fleet combatant unit currently HMAS Parramatta, to the maritime security operations in the Western Asian Theatre, primarily the Arabian Sea. Parramatta’s mission is to undertake maritime interdiction operations in the Arabian Sea to ensure international campaigns against terrorism and maritime security in the Western Asian Area of Operations are met.

In December 2008, Australia, along with 17 other countries, co-sponsored United Nations Security Council Resolution 1846 regarding the Somali Piracy issue. Parramatta’s area of operations was then extended to include counter-piracy operations off the coast of Somalia.

Nothing at all similar to what the Israeli’s are doing unilaterally and very much illegally.

[Hasbeen, Tuesday, 1 June 2010 9:56:07 PM
Suze, we do something similar, using inflatable boats to board illegal fishing boats, when they won't stop.]

Australian Navel boarding parties have never/never boarded an illegal fishing boat once it has been established that they have left Australian territorial waters and entered international waters. If they had, I can ensure you; the Indonesian Government would be at the head of the queue demanding immediate reparations for Australian Piracy of the high seas.
Posted by Westralis, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 5:38:52 AM
The bias of the media here is astounding.

The boats were ALWAYS going to be boarded. IT was inevitable, whether it was in international waters or Israeli. Right or wrong, that's a fact and everyone knows it. There was NO WAY those ships were getting through to Gaza unmolested.

There's footage FROM the "activists" of more than two weapons and there's footage FROM the "activists" of one soldier being stabbed and another thrown overboard. This footage is readily available on YouTube.

The killings were unfortunate - tragic, if a victim was a by-stander, but why aren't the media here in Australia telling the WHOLE story like they're supposed to?. Whether right or wrong, the entire story should be reported for people to make up their owns minds. The stuff I'm reading on Australian news sites is nothing more than bias manipulation of public opinion.

Shame on you Au media.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 8:58:05 AM
Sorry to say, the blockade of Gaza, run by a Government which does recognise Israel's right to exist and with which they are at war, is legal. The Security Council is a toothless tiger now, Australia, most of Europe and the US ignore it nowadays, that is why the UN is not involved in the Korean issue this time.

As to the Gazans being pushed into an enclave, it is the same one the UN drew up in 1948, go bother them.

The Tobruk, etc. were involved in Operations in the Persian Gulf (which was also contrary to UN Resolutions at times), stopping, searching and interdicting "blockade runners" in International Waters. I repeat, if I'd been in the boarding party that received such a welcome, I would fire and I would be right (dark, confusion, an aggressive, premeditated attack using weapons, placing my friends at risk, yep, that is covered in the ADF's ROE's).

If Israel had used its head, it would have mined the hell out of the the approaches to the blockaded area. All they would have to do then, is advise approaching vessels thereof and offer to allow them a pilot if they are prepared to be boarded & inspected. Otherwise they can run the minefield and accept the known risk. Mines are great, passive and incredibly effective.

PS The boarding of illegal boats off Christmas Island happens predominantly outside Australian Territorial waters from what I understand. The Indonesians have no interest in shouting Piracy, that would mean they own the problem.
Posted by Custard, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 9:40:28 AM
Custard's analogy with Australian participation in other naval blockades is specious, because such actions are conducted lawfully.

Imagine the outcry if the Australian military was involved in attacking with automatic weapons a convoy that was transporting humanitarian aid and armed only with shovels and knives?

The UN has described the blockade as illegal under international law. The actions of the Israelis is tantamount to piracy, but I bet the US won't allow Israel to be held to account for it.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 9:41:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All