The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should Local Councillors be paid?

Should Local Councillors be paid?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It is surprising that local councillors are being paid at an ever increasing rate.
Twenty years ago to serve on a local council was an honour and usually only people who were able to devote themselves to giving up two or three nights a week came forward.
Today the landscape on Council has changed to where Mayors earn more TAX FREE income from the position than their regular work.
Councils are paying for out of pocket expences that in many cases double or treble the TAX FREE allowances that Councillors are receiving.
All this ratepayers money being showered on councillors who in some towns or Shires only get one or two hundred votes.
Today with pay, Councillors are younger and less experienced in life than previously.This is costing Councils more as the Council Staff have more knowledge of the community than the young Councillors who now just sit and listen to the Administration Staff.
Posted by BROCK, Sunday, 14 January 2007 12:01:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If only I could tell you about my council, but I can not no room for contraversy here, it would be deleated.
However mine should not be paid one cent that view is without doupt shared by most rate payers here.
How do we get rid of them? all councils? surely something better exists?
Posted by Belly, Monday, 15 January 2007 12:09:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My extensive experience with councils (as a citizen and not a councillor) have shown me they are run as a cabal, and there seems very little to separate them. One of my main concerns is how little experience, aptitude or training any of them have, young or old. These people, with so few qualifications and no experience or training, step into positions that are in effect multi-million dollar businesses, with huge responsibilities that they seem so inept at discharging. I have recently read where 2/3 of them are in financial difficulties such that if they were private companies, they would be obliged to be declared bankrupt. What are we doing in letting this go unremarked? Their gross inefficiencies and mismanagement really has to be looked at in more depth. Their only response is to raise rates and lower services.
arcticdog
Posted by arcticdog, Monday, 15 January 2007 5:27:01 PM
Research shows that certain Local Government organisations are negotiating a really cheap bargain on mobile phones.

So even if they are moved over to contract based 'representation' they will still have more phone use than me and ten others can afford.

Its called rule by the few. And it will be paid for by the GST.
Posted by Gadget, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 4:26:36 PM
Cheap phones? my local council is cheap! not the rates in no way are they cheap.
But in time service and just general interest in doing the job.
Dureing my liftime 100,s of councils have been found corrupt or not doing the job.
Why must we have self serving, self interested councelors?
Do other types exist?
Raw sewage in my street speaks for itself.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 4:48:37 AM
It's easy to complain about councils. Much harder to run for council, win, and make a difference.

I'm not a councillor, and have never been a councillor, though I do come into contact with council quite regularly.
There are times when I don't get along with them, and there are times when I do.

It isn't an easy position. Consider this: If they are keen on development, then they are attacked for this, and accused of being too pro business - especially if you are a residential person being put out by a nearby development.

If they crack down on business, they are also attacked for too much red tape and regulation.

They have to decide whether a business or house should be built in a particular location - they often have to deal with what will end up happening further down the track. They get attacked for spending too much of ratepayers money, and they get attacked for not spending enough on projects - generally by whoever has a bee in their bonnet because they're not getting what they want.

When a matter gets controversial, they know that no matter what they decide, there will be pissed off people.

In QLD they also have to deal with planning schemes, which is state legislation, not a local Act.

I'll admit, at times it does seem like they act like a 'cabal' of their own volition - but often, they are prescribed in what they can do anyway (they have to have strict reasons for refusing certain applications and have to deal with their planning schemes) and a lot of the time, people are just abusing them for the sake of it.

I've watched them make their decisions, and I know there are some bad eggs out there. But there are some good ones too, but people don't want to hear about that. They'd rather just complain than run for Council and do something about it.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 19 January 2007 10:12:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy