The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Kevin Rudd a considered opinion

Kevin Rudd a considered opinion

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Spot on I thought Foxy, especially the bit about Malcolm Turnbull. Do you think there is any chance they might do that before the election, after all the Libs must know that Abbott can't win as well?.

And spot on Kalin1 about reality. but I can't agree that "the electorate made his (Whitlam's) government pay for wandering off on a reform program that exceeded the electorate's appetite".

The electorate had already voted for the Whitlam Gov't twice in 2 yrs and was granted a Senate majority in the 2nd election.

The subversion of that power (by un-democratic and scurrilous means through the death of a Labor senator) caused the Govt to be forced to a third election in 3 years , after being dismissed.

Along with this, media campaign's were waged with bottomless budgets, designed to discredit and overwhelm our Govt by unknown? . The Media baron's themselves perhaps?. In addition, facts were kept secret from the electorate for security reasons and had the electorate known these facts, their vote may have been different, in a Claytons election.

Malcolm Fraser became our first officially appointed Pm/caretaker (by royal decree) according to our constitution, since Federation. The Voters/democracy had nothing to do with it.

And Peter the Believer, some people think religion is crystal ball gazing but accept other peoples rights to gaze anyway they want.
Posted by thinker 2, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 4:32:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 1:25:00 PM
Opposition was determined to undermine at
any cost and blame the Government for not
achieving its aims.

Thank god for small mercies. Every single pragramme they have implemented turned to feces. I do not agree with most of the Liberal policy platforms, so I will see which independents’ preferences go where and look at what they say and choose one. Liberals are not getting my vote, but I will never again vote for a Rudd lead government.
I fell for all the socially empathetic lies that Kev did spin. It is what I was looking for after the Howard years, but he did not stand up for the plebs. I have seen no new housing for the Aboriginals, no school computers, no child care, no GP super centers, no aged care beds, no grocery watch, no fuel watch, etc etc etc. But I have seen thieves both petty and corporate living high of the insulation bats and BER schemes.
Rudd cares for nothing except self......That is a considered opinion!
Posted by sonofgloin, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 4:54:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 3:43:35 PM
People, in Abbott's view, either sink or swim, and
if they sink, well that's too bad. Because according
to Mr Abbott welfare is not good for business.

Foxy I have had the discussion about welfare a zillion times with right wing well heeled folks. Their consensus is that some welfare is amenable but a cutoff point must be in place (only payments for the first child of unwed mothers, etc) as example.

My response to them is; I don't have a clue what the government is doing with our money, but the more of it that is pumped into the domestic economy the better we are for it. It's gone into the economy in a fortnight, a little job creator injected by our government with our money every two weeks. Its money better spent than $50,000 dollars per page on the viability of broadband, a book report that cost 25 million.
Posted by sonofgloin, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 5:24:36 PM
People, in Abbott's view, either sink or swim,
That is a standard archetypal nasty ignoramus accusation by someone who obviously never had to perform to get a pay packet.
We must have a welfare starting point & a limit. Just to (again) bring up an extreme example I knew a fellow who proudly proclaimed to have fathered 11 children & never paid a cent for any of them. The two mothers lived quite happily on the child support. Now Foxy & other Anti Abbotts', where would you draw the line in a case like that ? You never know your explanation might be quite logical, just let us know.
We must have welfare for the unfortunate but we don't need any support for the lazy & deliberately useless.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 May 2010 7:20:10 AM
The road to hell is paved with good intentions, so the saying goes, but the road to heaven must be paved with bad ones, if this is true. This is not so stupid as it sounds. Rudd had the best of good intentions, when he became PM, but is in his own private hell as he looks like the most successful failure since Federation.

Turnbull had lots of good intentions, but as a practicing lawyer, had a brain problem, he was unable to overcome. He wanted to be an Aristocrat. Now Tony Abbott, got a law degree, was sent to be brainwashed as a Rhodes Scholar in England, as was Hawke and Fraser, but has never as far as I can find out been an advocate in any court.

We thought KR was a thinking man, whose Christian convictions, reinforced by regular attendance at Church, would allow him to think independently of the legal advisers who torpedoed the Howard Government. Where it really mattered, the Rudd government has the same old, same old, brain dead lawyers, Howard had, and he has hit a mine as he journeyed towards the next election.

The thinking Christian centre of Australia, even though they do not always attend Church, make or break governments. Rudd knew this in 2006-7, but has forgotten it since being elected. As Yamamoto so wisely said, beware the sleeping tiger. It was the Christian centre that consigned Whitlam to obscurity, Howard to the dustbin, and switched 23 seats from the Liberals to Labor. Turnbull should accept that he will never make the cut, and simply bugger off, and let another man have a go. So should Kevin.
Posted by Peter the Believer, Thursday, 13 May 2010 8:24:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Turnbull should accept that he will never make the cut, and simply bugger off, and let another man have a go. So should Kevin.
PtB,
couldn't put it any better myself. I have however to express my puzzlement at your other remarks i.e. whose Christian convictions allow him to think independently. Isn't being a religious zealot a perfect example of having been brainwashed ? To have the conviction to be a decent human being does not at all fit into being religious, christian not excluded.
A good human being in my books is one who can criticise him/herself & closest relatives.
To get back to Kevin Rudd, I don't for one minute doubt that is is a decent man but I have great doubts re his ability to get his cabinet & supporters to apply/enforce equality.
Meaning well unfortunately, isn't enough. Equality doesn't mean the same amount for everyone. The basis of equality is moral consideration. I just don't see it anywhere. If anyone does show me please.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 May 2010 10:02:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11