The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Rudd and Garretts Incompetence Costs Lives

Rudd and Garretts Incompetence Costs Lives

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Garrett should take responsibility and resign because he was advised of problems yet did nothing.

However both sides of parliament have knowingly presided over a house construction industry that arguably has the laxest building code, standards and inspection in the western world AND by far the worst attitudes.

The standard of workmanship is pathetic when compared with what is seen in other countries, for example in Europe and it is sliding downwards every year as anyone who can strap on a nail belt makes a killing out of the demand created by Rudd's over-the-top immigration targets.

As can be expected of political debate in Australia, the focus is entirely on scoring political points, when what is required is someone with a broader view who can see the systemic problems in an industry and do something about them for the benefit of the country and not just for short term political advantage.

It wouldn't have mattered who was in the minister's chair, the same grubby short-cuts, sub-standard workmanship and defrauding would have occurred. However Garrett would have been warned and he was made aware of deficiencies (complaints were common on radio talk-back shows) and he failed to act. He should pay.
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 13 February 2010 7:06:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of those tragic deaths was caused by excessive heat, one by putting a metal staple through a live wire and another due to pre-existing faulty wiring.

All of these factors are already covered by existing Workplace OHS Legislation and are the responsibility of the on-site supervisor.

If I take my car to a dodgey brake mechanic and have an accident as a result, should the Minister for Transport resign?

Garrett may yet take the fall for this but it also demonstrates the willingness of the Opposition to use those same deaths for political gain.

By the way, the insulation project was an initiative of Malcolm Turnbull when he was a Minister but it was resurrected by Rudd as part of the stimulus package.
Posted by wobbles, Sunday, 14 February 2010 1:35:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wobbles; You make a very good point when you say;

If I take my car to a dodgey brake mechanic and have an accident as a result, should the Minister for Transport resign?

In normal circumstances I would say no, but!, had the transport minister been warned of the dodgy mechanic, several times and by several authorities, there in lies your answer.

One major problem with this scheme was the fact that such a diverse range of people were all of a sudden, instalers.

Many electricians and plumbers all of a sudden went in to insulation. Even serurity installers became insulation installers.

Many staff were lterally dragged from the dole office to install insulation.

Why did they do this, because the profits were huge.

The average cost of goods was around $300 per roof. The employers paid mainly inexperienced workers (two of them per job) around $100 per roof and, on a good day they could finnish two to three rooves.

Do the math. $400 for wages, $300 for costs, $900 profit. Three rooves per day, six days per week = $16,200 profit per week.

The blame in my view lies with the employers.

Now if the government didn't have set guidlines for insisting that the employer performed all the required safety checks, prior, during and post completion, then the government should also share the blame.

I hate the current labor government but in my view they can not be held accountable for dodgy contractors/employers, provided the guidelines were set.

Having said that, I think Garret must go for ignoring the warnings, also, there needs to be a royal commision into who was privy to that information and ultimately, who, along with Garret ignored the warnings, as they must go as well.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 14 February 2010 6:31:51 AM
For cryin' out loud, as much as I'd like to see these two muppets off the show, stop blaming them. Blame the mutts who voted them in.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 14 February 2010 8:29:57 AM
What gets me is the seriousness off the issue.

Garrett was warned did nothing.

Now he might not be the employer but since he knew the risks, he did nothing to ensure training was fixed.

Another thing where is the great union and labor supporter , belly.

Workers rights, deaths right up your alley or are you holding Combets hand so he doesnt get afraid.

A real union rep would be going to the max and not hidind but since you are labor then the workers do not get a look in.
Posted by tapp, Sunday, 14 February 2010 10:21:19 AM
TAPP, you know very well I do not wish to get involved in your rambling threads.
You are aware of a time and event here in OLO that I regarded as a betrayal of my privacy.
Yet knowing this you taunt me in print.
Being aware of how you conduct your campaigns I want nothing to do with you.
In this one disjointed thread you insult the minister for defense, me, Rudd, and Garret.
If any have reason to defend themselves it can only be Garret, no fan of the man, but your charges are ridiculous.
do me the service bloke of keeping me out of your threads, not much to ask, but you can see I do not refer to you in my posts.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 14 February 2010 4:07:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy