The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > We Need a New Australian Flag

We Need a New Australian Flag

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
A couple of news items caught my eye this morning. In the first, former journalist and TV personality Ray Martin has called for Australia to adopt a new national flag, without a Union Jack in the corner.

http://tiny.cc/xms4n

In the second, journalist Marieke Hardy published an opinion piece at the ABC 'The Drum' website, in which she draws attention to the ways in which Australia Day and the current Australian flag have recently been increasingly appropriated as symbols of Australian racism.

http://tiny.cc/8YncX

I agree with them both. The current Australian flag has passed its 'use-by' date and is a colonial anachronism that has been taken up as an icon by the ugly Aussie racist minority that give the rest of us a bad name. It's time we had our own flag, around which all Australians can rally, regardless of ancestry, religion or politics.

And while we're at it, we can take advantage of the momentum and finally become and independent Australian republic.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 25 January 2010 2:27:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I abhor racism, I find it difficult to believe it is the design of the flag that the racists are using, rather the symbolism of us against them. Changing it to a yellow background with a spotted lizard (for example) would not change things. Nut jobs are not really bright enough to notice the subtleties.

Similarly, an Australian republic with a different flag is an expensive exercise about which too few people care.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 25 January 2010 3:45:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh the offended are out in force on the drum lol.
Posted by TheMissus, Monday, 25 January 2010 4:11:02 PM
Racist Lebanese gangs attacking multiple races including recent attacks of Indian students and the infamous rapes and racist torment on women have given Australia far worse reputation. Should we demand Lebanon change their flag? The recent Tennis idiot behaviour and Croatia? The slavery and continued racism in the USA, should they change their flag? the REAL invaders of this land, England - change their flag?

Yet a few t-shirts and tattoos calls for a change in our flag?

Insecurity perhaps? Lack of maturity, too sensitive to what will others think of us, YES. We are becoming so very awfully contrived enough to make me ill.

I wish I was French.
Posted by TheMissus, Monday, 25 January 2010 4:25:22 PM
Glad, proud in fact to support both the greens and C J Morgan yes a new flag.
Canada got one, it in no way upset the stuff shirts in England.
Love shadow ministers pain, the idea that such as this must have little support amuses me.
Tomorrow I celebrate my country and just how far we have come from that big prison England used us for.
Along side the current flag in my home, flys the southern cross far more Representative in my mind to the spirit of Australia.
Sad however we lost the ashes but then again we will win them back over here.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 25 January 2010 4:25:26 PM
While I support a Republic I don't necessarily support a new Australian Flag unless the majority want it. The Flag itself is not a symbol of racism. It would be draped around the shoulders regardless of design.

Personally I think the Flag we have has historical significance and is indicative of our past, which while we may seek to change our connection with Britain, it is very much part of Australia's history. This does not diminish the multicultural nature of our way of life in any way.

However if the majority of Australians wanted a change I would not lose sleep over a new Flag. This is the sort of question that is ideal for a referendum. Let the people decide.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 25 January 2010 6:24:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy