The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 1500 new air-conditioners a week

1500 new air-conditioners a week

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
1500 air-conditioners are being installed in homes in southeast Queensland every week!

Queensland’s energy minister, Stephen Robertson, said that it is this extra demand that is driving up the price of power.

The average household is looking at a $250 increase in 2010.

(Courier Mail 19-20 December)

A few things are obvious:

Queensland’s population growth needs to be mitigated, as this is the main factor in driving the enormous increase in the demand for power in Queensland.

Australia’s massive immigration rate also needs to be brought way down.

There is a huge connection between population growth and greenhouse gas emissions….which is obvious to everyone except our decision-makers, so it seems!

There is a strong connection between population growth and rising prices, as well as declines in various forms of infrastructure and services.

We are just absolutely nowhere near significantly modifying peoples’ behaviour in this country, despite heightened concerns about climate change.

Now that Anna Bligh’s energy minister has so strongly connected population growth with rising greenhouse gas emissions and rising electricity prices, it is high time that she pulled her finger out and got stuck into formulating policies for the reduction of the population influx into SEQ…and got stuck into Rudd for continuing with a policy of massively high population growth for the whole country.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 21 December 2009 2:05:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig wrote:
"1500 air-conditioners are being installed in homes in southeast Queensland every week!"

Don't worry about the homes, they'll be taken care of. Think of government offices, they're putting in new ones everyday, I know I do it! These thieves scream if the temp get's anywhere near 21c either way. While they want you to turn yours off, these shysters are putting in more. They don't give a hoot about the climate, they just want you to live in a bark hut so they can eat lobster and caviar every day!
Posted by RawMustard, Monday, 21 December 2009 8:01:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not just in SE Queensland, Ludwig.

An electrician friend of mine, who only works in this district,
spends most of his summer doing air con installations. The unemployed,
pensioners, you name it, today its standard and as Raw Mustard point
out standard too in all Govt depts.

Yup, it blows out the peak loads dramatically and it still pisses
me off on every day over 40deg, that I can feel all that heat, I
gather its around 900W /m2, yet nobody has come up with an efficient
system to convert that energy to cooling. Instead, we burn coal
hundreds of km away, it kind of makes no sense to me.

Perhaps rather all this carbon trading, they should just offer
50 million $ first prize, for anyone who comes up with the best viable
alternative and see if that gets those creative minds going.

Technology and innovation and about the only real alternative that
we have.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 21 December 2009 9:49:24 PM
Classic and true writings of this day and age.

"We are just absolutely nowhere near significantly modifying peoples’ behaviour in this country, despite heightened concerns about climate change."

And you never will. The people of today are so soft, they whinge and run for the quickest quick-fix. And as we grow, the government will stick their claws in at every given possibility with the knowing of overpopulation and the ten rats in a box reality. More people, more money to be made and that's all that's on the menu. They will copy the US and others no matter what. Time to see the future, and where this is all going.
1500 new air-conditioners a week! Where do I buy some shares in the industry?
This investment is going to score big. Smile.

The elderly on the other hand? I wonder how many will die this year?

And will there be any Government assistance for them I wonder or are they just another statistic of an overcrowded hot and drying Australia?

Not Happy jan!
Posted by walk with me, Monday, 21 December 2009 11:10:23 PM
Once again the government is blaming the public for the government's own lack of planning.

They did the same with water and largely got away with it. They were able to drive a wedge into public opinion by giving the public, shock jocks and journo hacks some whipping boys to blame, eg 'selfish' consumers who had 'long' showers and watered their gardens.

In this case the government is labelling 'selfish' consumers who install air conditioners as the whipping boys.

However it is the government who should be tarred and feathered for not taking the advice of its own engineers. Also, it isn't Joe Public who is responsible for continuing record immigration numbers without the infrastructure to support the resultant unsustainable population growth.
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 21 December 2009 11:43:04 PM
The problem is not air conditioners.
It is poorly built mansions, even normal homes not built to stay cooler/warmer.
It is also power, we never should have stopped the solar subsidy's.
Power has gone up in rural NSW, my power use went down, lowest in 3 years but bill went up 30%
I can point to my state ALP intention to sell its voters, sorry power and the need for users to fund the sale by paying more even before private enterprise robs us as an incentive for one thief to buy from another, as the reason.
power without glory here.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 22 December 2009 5:16:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy