The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Coal seam methane industry

Coal seam methane industry

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The town of Dalby, located in the Darling Downs Queensland, has around 8 hours of water left in its aquifers. Dalby was one area which welcomed the highly water intensive coal seam methane extraction (CSG) industry. The process of extraction involves the dewatering of the aquifer to produce the gas plus large supplies of fresh potable water to keep the process going. It is probable that there is a link between the CSG industry and this town running out of water. Given that water is going to be Autralia's most valuable resource in the future, it is essential now to preserve our aquifers and our water supplies - or there will be many regional - if not capital cities that will suffer the same fate.
Posted by nomines, Tuesday, 1 December 2009 3:06:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting article, I have a property in that region and I also have a company about to test for gas. One thing they have told me is that there is a lot of water that I will have access to if they proceed long term.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 1 December 2009 6:43:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have spoken to the company who is doing most of the CSG work out there and they told me the problem is all money related. Surprise, surprize!

As they rely on 'bore water' and, as this water need to be 'de-salinated', this is where the problem rose from.

Apparently, they contributed millions, the state contributed millions but the council refussed to contribute the last 10 million or so and the water treatment plan did not proceed.

There is plenty of water but it is 'non-portable'.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 5 December 2009 6:16:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy