The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > White Ribbon Day

White Ribbon Day

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24
  7. 25
  8. 26
  9. Page 27
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. All
CJ I don't get why you want seperate campaigns rather than opening up existing ones to speak against all violence. I think yet another set of campaigns would reduce the effectiveness all round. Far better to make it clear in what exists that the message is against all violence. The anti DV campaigns could achieve that by portraying some different scenario's - adding some male victims, female abusers, some from same sex couples etc. Not a big shift in what's actually done but taking away the very deliberate attempts to hide DV where the victim is male.

I dread the idea of different anti-violence campaigns competing for the same resources(funds, celebrity and political support etc). It's easy to imagine organisers feeling the need to trump each other with more attention grabbing ads, press releases etc to get their message over. You don't need to join a new cause, rather join in trying get what's already there working to say that all violence is unacceptable. Seperate campaigns could very easily be counter productive and probably would hurt the overall message.

White ribbon day could so easily be a day were we all say NO to violence regardless of our own gender. Take the politics out of it and make it a stand against all violence.

I know the racism analogy is not perfect but I've spent time thinking about it and I don't see major flaws in the way I've used it. I'm willing to listen if there are clear reasons why it does not apply.

Pynchme, I really can't be bothered responding to your slurs and lies any more. Maybe another day.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 3 December 2009 5:26:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
hands up all those blokes here who support Reclaim the Night ... *
Posted by whistler, Thursday, 3 December 2009 10:09:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well put ROBert & the very reason I talk about equity & equality. If there were groups fighting for funding of the same thing but of different genders, it would just highlight the fact's most of us are discussing here. Your statement highlights the one sided debate that white ribbon day is actually getting across, in it's simplistic, lovely, wonderfully sweet, nasty Jesuit style of psychological suggestion. Pretension & nasty back biting in the nicest way to get what they want in the legal circles & destroying children's, men's & others associated with them lives at the same time, does not support the economy the way government's make out, it's just a religious belief & a measure to create social disorder.

A [Belief] is an empty thought with an image from the imagination projected by the brain but a thought is an image with evidential fact's which our eyes see & tell the brain. God is a belief & so are half the religious policies that go with it.
Posted by Atheistno1, Thursday, 3 December 2009 11:32:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"the same thing but of different genders"
oxymoron [(ok-see-mawr-on)]
A rhetorical device in which two seemingly contradictory words are used together for effect:
“She is just a poor little rich girl.”
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oxymoron
Posted by whistler, Thursday, 3 December 2009 11:47:53 PM
Have to agree with Athiestno1, Well put RObert.

Now it seems very much that most violence is associated with the use of alcohol, then wouldn't it be advisable to cut the time that pubs opened? What was wrong with the 10am to 10pm?
Offences committed under the influence of alcohol should not be able to use alcohol as a mitigating circumstance, as it is self infliction and the onus should be put back on the user to do so with responsibility.
Anyone found supplying alcohol to a person under the age of 18 should be prosecuted with a stay in gaol, ie 6 months or at very least 3-400hrs community service hours as it is up to the adults to start to show a bit of responsibility to children and young people
If it is shown that certain places have higher instances of violence related to alcohol use then make them "dry" areas the same as the indigenous communities,
Stop all the advertising of alcohol the same as they did with tobacco

Well this could be a start, any other suggestions?

Thanks from
Dave
Posted by dwg, Friday, 4 December 2009 2:47:30 PM
I do not agree you should punish everyone for the sins of a few.

I would like parents to understand that addiction to sugar in children will make it easer for alcohol addiction to take hold. Some suggest that it is actually sugar addiction in many problem drinkers these days. Same as caffiene. If a scotch and coke drinker took the coke out it would they still drink so much?

Plus money, I rember we snuck a few drinks when I was young but had no money to support binge drinking episodes.
Posted by TheMissus, Friday, 4 December 2009 3:00:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24
  7. 25
  8. 26
  9. Page 27
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. All