The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Middle-Aged Men and the Liberal Party ...

Middle-Aged Men and the Liberal Party ...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Foxy,
The quip about sexism was a jest.

I answered your questions in a historical and organizational context.

1) What does the Liberal Party stand for these days? Maintain the power status quo including theirs. (Survival/power) old fashioned 'conservatism' paraphrasing Shadow minister 'to demonstrate *their* values (?)', "regain power" and "demonstrate how the Govt policies are failing"

2) How does it distinguish itself from Labor?
Hardly it is more left of the current centre slightly more people focused.(true liberal, US meaning)

3) What does it offer that is unique and different?

4) Why should we not keep the current Government in power? The libs haven't given us an alternative governing policy except for border control (they're totally anti every thing)Conservatives still not united on the existence of AGW.

5) Can the Liberal Party give the country genuine alternatives
to the current government's policies? I hope so but given what GY and SM have said We'll never know untill they get into power and even then they out with their unpopular ideology 'Work Choices' etc

6) Can the Liberal Party give the country a great leader in
these difficult times? I doubt that either party can due to the parties primary focus and commercial realities.

7) What are the Liberal Party's core values? Stuck in the early 60's and dominated by old time conservatism and economics that make no sense. A famous economist said "anyone who believes that growth can be unlimited in a finite world must be mad or an economist" I would add or has vested interests.

No criticism (shredding intended) just trying to help. :-)
Posted by examinator, Friday, 30 October 2009 10:39:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting Foxy. You are actually saying Ruddy used his insider knowledge, as a senior public servant to make himself rich. Sounds about right to me.

Have you noticed the bl@@dy awful mess Queensland is in. It's almost as bad as Vic was under labor.

The mess started with education, quickly followed by health. These were the first places that affirmative action was applied. The total catastrophe that ensued in these areas was hard to ignore, but ignored it was. I think some of these girls actually thought they were going great.

Then we found out what happens when you make a labor lady chief magistrate.

Now we have a silly little girls club in parliament, who have done such a great job, they are going to have to sell off the state to pay the simple bills. If you put the lot of them to running the school tuckshop, you'd have a lot of hungry kids, within a week.

Foxy, you are a very nice lady, perhaps a little too nice, but you really are quite naive.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 30 October 2009 11:06:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

Most of Rudd's references are to his political and other careers since 1981 (age 25). Unless he was only working in these roles part time, his role in Theresa's business was probably one of support and possibly a very junior partner role. (as maybe was Mrs Turnbull)

I was referring to people not just men in the later part of their careers.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 30 October 2009 12:40:21 PM
Foxy;
Yes Bob Menzies was very entertaining to listen to him speak
at a political rally. In my very very youth I went to a political
rally, they used to have them in those days, where he spoke.
He got lots of hectoring but he always had a humorous response.
His responses were never nasty but always clever.
There was another pollie from Queensland whose name escapes me at the
moment, K something, that was well worth listening to even if you
disagreed with what he said.

We don't have any like that anymore, much the pity.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 30 October 2009 3:11:24 PM
the silly little girls club in parliament to which
Hasbeen refers is, of course, at Federal law,
under male supervision, the silly lttle naive boys
club in parliament.
Posted by whistler, Friday, 30 October 2009 3:46:53 PM
Dear Examinator and Others,

I'm so glad you were joking.
You had me worried for a while.

Thank You for answering my questions.
I can see that I've got a lot to learn as far as
politics go. And perhaps I am naive in many respects,
as a poster suggested.

What I find frustrating though is that the Liberal Party
seems to be experiencing a crisis of leadership now, not
so much because people lack the qualities necessary for it,
but because the Party seems to systemically invalidate
such qualities. Why is it so difficult in today's world
of the 21st Century here in Australia for a person to
stand up in excellence and power within the public realm?
There seem to be myriad forces marshaled against letting
them do so. Shouldn't the Party support the possibility
of greatness in anyone at any time?

They must rethink their attitudes about their leaders, or
at the rate they're going they'll soon have none left.

Shouldn't pollies be able to grow beyond a shallow fight?
Or power struggles.

Should they not be swayed by politics but the spirit of
doing what's right?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 30 October 2009 4:37:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All