The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Meat substitution

Meat substitution

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
With meat substitution being on the media once again, just how do the general shoppers think when buying their meats.

Take a side of lamb. From $3.99 Kg up to $11.99 Kg.

Whole rump from $4.99Kg up to $12.99Kg.

Lean mince (bulk buy) from $5.00 kg up to $12.00 kg.

When buying the 'cheap meats', do shoppers actually think they are buying quality meats and that the other butchers are 'ripp-offs'.

Are shoppers aware that cheap lean mince often contains either; bull meat, ofals and water, or all of the above.

Are they expecting to buy a tender whole rump for say $4.99 Kg and it not be pumped full of water.

What do consumers expect when there is rent, power, loans, wages, compo, super, compliance costs and god forbid, profits, to be covered when choosing cheap meats. Do they think it just fell off the back of a truck and that's why it's cheap.

Or, are they buying cheap meat knowing that if it's tough, at least it cost less than stewing meat so who cares.

Do they think farmers have a change of heart and sell their cattle or lambs for half price.

I would love to know just how these 'cheap meat shopper' think.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 6:55:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clearly I can only talk about those I know.

The short answer is No! They don't expect TOP quality meat cheap.
However, those I know to expect not to be conned (not told)...caveat emptor is only fair when the reasonable man test can be applied.

SPECIFICALLY As a reasonably informed individual with more reading that most busy mums and not being a butcher I didn't know that there was "pumped full of water" contained "offal" in the meat. Most of us just figured that it was simply lesser quality or some special buy from wholesalers etc.

Your criticism of the average customer is simply unfair, of course finding this out is of course a shock.
We don't know the industry tricks, half ,not told truths that go on in your trade.

In truth their not supposed to know because if they did they might not buy and some (low income, pensioners etc)have little choice). They are faced with that or substituting meat or buying elsewhere.

I figure you're talking about ch 7/9 current affair beat up shows. A few fact plenty of hype Zzzzz.

Then again providing it's fit for human consumption nothing much has or will change.

Butchers shouldn't complain if their marketing tactics are exposed.
These sort of tactics tacitly encourage these false customer assumptions.

The real problem is finding the balance between marketing and the truth. Some marketers tend to forget that in favour of self interests.

PS no one in business has a RIGHT to do so at all costs. This is clearly a grey area.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 8:55:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What you are talking about is illegal. Offal is pure colesterol, that does not make lean mince. No matter what you pay for meat, that does not make it any more edible. The proof is in the eating. The prices you quote comes from supermarkets, and they can sell for what ever they like. The pumping of meat is called massarging, this is more likely to happen with chicken, not beef. Who put the roo in the stew. [1980's ]
There's nothing better than a nice fresh road kill kangaroo.
Posted by Desmond, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 9:27:55 AM
I'm prepared to pay more for organic or bio-dynamic meat, as personally I consider that the only true measure of good quality.

I wouldn't pay that same sort of price to a butcher whose meat more than likely contains a similar chemical load to that sold at supermarkets, no matter how tender or authentic the meat might be.

Buying meat at supermarkets, I agree, only supports bad practice, but many people have little choice.
Posted by Bronwyn, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 9:49:20 AM
Like Bronwyn we can afford to buy organic meat from a local farmer. Many farmers are now selling at the gate or direct to households. And the animals are grass fed, no hormones and in most cases chemical free.

Aged pensioners probably don't think too much about it they just buy what they can afford. As another poster mentioned, there are laws that dictate what constitutes mince. Just as a Beef Pie has to have a certain content of beef otherwise it has to be sold as a Meat Pie.

If the workplace that you seek rehctub was to ever come into play, where people were no longer assured of the security of their job (sack at will) there would be a lot less people buying meat.

When the middlemen and supermarkets get their pound of flesh there is not much meat in it for anyone else.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 2:58:05 PM
rechtub, I agree gone back to the butcher this time for good my meat is better dearer but better and he is getting to know my taste.
He has not asked me how I vote and we do not talk politics.
Those chain stores are not value sell every cut soon I expect to find a pack of tail tags for sale.
dog bones kill dogs too as it is 80% fat butcher gets real stuff puts it aside.
You get what you pay for my butcher at least cares about me.
As I eat little meat I want and get the best.
Any thing better than a sausage sandwich?
no nothing .
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 5:46:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy