The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Possible solutions for mobile (traffic) violations ? more safety on the roads?

Possible solutions for mobile (traffic) violations ? more safety on the roads?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Consider this AS PART OF A SET OF STRATEGIES to help solve road carnage and the subsequent costs to society.
1: Any serious moving violation offender having their vehicles fitted with GPS/taco recorders and sealed, for a period of 12 months at their expense. These could be checked every 3 months by the TRB at computer stations. Further unacceptable breaches would incur an increased fines and longer monitoring.
Sell or trash the car requires rego notification and official removal and re-installation on the new vehicle at the the offenders cost.

2: Engineers tell me it is possible to make these devices an integral part of a motor so that could be phased in. Older cars unless registered as 'classic' (limited street driving) could be progressively taken off the road or mandated to meet tighter safety criteria. Make structurely modified or engine modified cars harder to register and cost more.

3: Starting with the 25 yo rust buckets and progressively mandate all operating/ registered vehicles must be road worthy at the time of re-registration.

4: Also mandate that cars more recyclable.

5: Separate out moving violations and hand them to an expanded TRB officers and trained community police. (both forces exist.)

Some arguments :
Items 1 & 2 : Most recalcitrants object to having them mandated on vehicles claiming rights but their lack of interest in truckies' "rights" is inconsistent.
- 12 mths would be long enough to change habits.
- Big brother only applies to those who choose to behave in antisocial ways.
Item 3: This way you get rid of bangers and create a new market for cheaper technologically safer cars.

Item 5: Easier to recruit and cheaper to train....more bang for buck. Real police can then concentrate on more appropriate issues.

Any better ideas? Well then Girls and guys let it rip
Posted by examinator, Monday, 7 September 2009 1:13:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would like to see the compulsory fitting of speed limiters to all cars. Make them future compatible with wireless speed signs that transmit the current speed limit and change the limiter accordingly. Replace all speed signs with radio beacons and then speeding will be a thing of the past. Phased in over ten years the cost will be minimal and the savings huge. The need is there, the technology is there but is the will to save lives really there?

P.S. As a compensation I would increase the maximum allowable speed to 140/160 on roads that are appropriate.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 7 September 2009 2:04:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
examinator: "Starting with the 25 yo rust buckets and progressively mandate all operating/ registered vehicles must be road worthy at the time of re-registration."

Already done in some states, such as Queensland. It hasn't made an observable difference road fatalities.

examinator: "Also mandate that cars more recyclable."

Surely your aren't saying this would make the roads safer?

As for the rest, if you could convince me that heavy enforcement of things life speed limits would make the roads noticeably safer I'd go along. But the evidence isn't good. Red light cameras, for example, have had no measurable effect. http://j.mp/3djXtx I recall hearing in the decades following the shift in the UK from a holistic "driving safely" approach to a rule based "speed is bad" approach, accidents have gone up. Since fine revenue has also gone up, it looks like the approach is here to stay.

By the way, are you are we already know how to cut road fatalities by maybe half? It simple really. Raise the driving age to 25. http://j.mp/eFSo9
Posted by rstuart, Monday, 7 September 2009 8:21:20 PM
Firstly, I must point out that I do not support speeding, but, if we rid the roads of speeding motorists, where will the revenue come from to replace the revenue currently collected from these drivers?

A large portion of this revenue goes to fixing our roads.

Does traveling at 100 in an 80 zone cause that much additional wear and tear on our roads?.

In other words, if they stop traveling at 100, and do 80, will the repair costs reduce to almost nil?

Now don't get me wrong, I would love to see our roads safer, I have two kids who use them regularly, but; Where will the money come from if not from speeding fines?

Now while on speeding, we see police at road works almost every day.

Why can't they hold a radar gun at the same time?

We are already paying for them to be there!
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 7 September 2009 8:25:07 PM
Oh, and now I remember: after speed limits were introduced in the NT accident rates on average increased. Well, maybe they were just leaping all over the place as usual, but they certainly haven't reduced. http://j.mp/16y4BL
Posted by rstuart, Monday, 7 September 2009 8:30:02 PM
All
Thanks for your responses but think a collective solutions.
Rstuart Perhaps I should have said renewing registrations. Which happens no where in Australia.
Recycle-ability helping road accidents? sure Recycleable cars = cheaper materials to make the next ones = cheaper cars = more money to maintain the current car. well in theory anyway. remember the Button plan less models, interchangeable parts, like that only more extensive. Helping to make cars cheaper in lei of the unsafe rust buckets.
The point was all these are PARTS OF THE SOLUTION

The short comings with the answers so far are that they focus on
a. What exists now
b. single focus on single issues rather than the probable answer...a series of changes to the system.

Many of these solutions are designed to change some of the dangerous attitudes we have towards driving. These IMO are the real root cause of the problem of road safety.

Re The cops are revenue gaining...simply stop their source by not blatantly ignoring the laws.

The Polices are under funded and under manned police these issues properly...and police crime properly too.
Here the big impediment is money to train an all round police officer equipt etc. Currently this ends up in waning enrolments and unacceptable compromises down the line. If they're untied doing less demanding things like mobile violations enforcement.

The answer is cheaper special purpose policing TRB officers etc. The TRB enforce trucking laws so why not simply enlarge that force and its responsibilities to include traffic etc. less stress on on police less feelings of pointlessness (morale).

Offences occur out of their range static cameras
Answer, more mobile enforcement, by Trained and vetted TRB/CP officers,

TRB/CP could take over roadwork control cheaper with the authority to book idiots.

TRB/CP under supervision patrol places where dodgy cars are issuing cause notices for unsafe modified or rust buckets etc.

Rehctub Observed speeds limits lessen accidents. Think other improvements safer roads. Roads tailored for the traffic they carry not by class. i.e. Big heavy quarry trucks pulling dogs on suburban streets break up surfaces prematurely and cause accidents.
Posted by examinator, Monday, 7 September 2009 11:28:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy