The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > John Howards luxurious lifestyle..but punishes working class .

John Howards luxurious lifestyle..but punishes working class .

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Guess what, Holy; I don’t agree with you! The chip on your shoulder must be the size of a railway sleeper by now. Do you really expect overseas dignitaries to eat off supermarket tableware when they visit Australia?

I don’t like politicians any more than you do, but if you really envy what they have, why don’t you try getting into the game? First, you will have to start talking about “people” and not “pple” as you do in all of you many posts.

Just how bad are the circumstances that have made you a whinger and envious of what other people have? Do you really not understand Robert’s comment about attacking the Coalition?

Unless you have nowhere to live, nothing to eat and have to go without the essentials of life, you should look at other people in other countries and feel SHAME.

If you want more, get of your bum and earn it.
Posted by Leigh, Monday, 11 December 2006 9:09:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Holyshadow, I agree with you're sentiment in so far as I feel many pollies are rorting, especially with regard to superannuation, but let me ask if you saw this article:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/exmps-flights-of-fancy/2006/12/07/1165081092239.html

It's not just the Libs, and at least Johnny is a serving politician, whose trips generally relate to state business, or promoting you and I offshore.

As for punishing the working class, well your' hero Keating did a stellar job of that as I recall from personal experience, since both my father (a custom cabinet maker), and my fiancés father (a cabbie) lost their businesses as result of Keating's "...good work...","...when he laid down the economic foundations for economic success." Sorry but what a crock of BS!

How about when he allowed BLF thugs to waltz into my old man's factory (and plenty of others), threatening him with everything under the sun (including violence/death) if they didn't get their way? Nice people these lefties. :P
How about letting the MWU shut down the wharves coz they weren't happy with their $90k per annum package, to do less than nothing for a living? I know for a fact they did bugger all before Corrigan smashed them, coz I spent 5 years in Freight Forwarding living at the whim of those scumbags, while I earned $18k per year. Remember the aircraft refuellers, strikes every public holiday? The list goes on, but how many economically crippling strikes have we had since Labor has been gone? Not many, and do you really think that sort of industrial action did anything positive for the economy?
To me, that's not even managing the economy, let alone setting it up for success.
I digress.
At the end of the day, there are no saints in politics, and the left is no better than the right, but there will inevitably be expenses relating to the business of running the nation, and I'd rather we had a nice dinner set at Kirribilli when important visitors come here, and a nice car to transport them in. The expense is tiny compared to the size of our economy.
Posted by Stomont, Monday, 11 December 2006 11:16:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Surely it's empathy is what we need. Sure unions needed pulling into line, sure we need a strong economy blah blah. Community is in shreds
has competivness become a byword for failing community values, justice, fairgo and all that. The evidence is there of intolerence for different opinions, particularly if pationately put.
I don't care what John eats off so long as he leaves me something to eat and the time to eat it.
What has the labor party in SA done to we crow eaters, laws that cannot be policed whithout home invasion by policemen, collecting taxes with the pretense of saving our bloody lives, It's bl**dy bull dust.
We desperately need another Dunstan, in pink shorts.
fluff
Posted by fluff4, Monday, 11 December 2006 12:22:27 PM
holyshadow, the point of divergence is "I am well all aware state and federal Goverments are guilty of the same, but this Government..The Coalition, sure takes the cake I believe."

I don't accept that the coalition is worse than Labor in this stuff, similarly when I see Labor supporters screaming about Howards lies as though there was a clear difference between his lies and Labor leaders lies. Those issues seem to be ones where there is no real difference between the coalition and Labor.

I'd be rapt if we had a clear ethical difference between the parties but we don't seem to have that. All seem to treat lying the public as just part of the job. All seem to be willing to harm those they think can afford it (middle income earners). All seem to be willing to forgo any sense of fairplay if it suits them.

At the moment I see two points of difference
- Coalitions's history of paying off government debt (and I'm not wrapped in the sale of assets but that seems to be something they all do).
- Coalition seems to be at least trying to make family law fairer rather than make it worse.

There are minor differences in other places but I can't think of any where the whole package leaves one approach clearly better than the other. (I'll think of other items just after I post this).

I'll be interested to see how Garret goes with the shadow environment portfolio, maybe he cares enough to provide some real environmental policies rather than window dressing.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 11 December 2006 1:35:05 PM
“I ascribe to the theory that we don’t have to aspire to all the overt trappings of wealth”

I never thought the trappings of politics were so ostentatious as to merit comment, not even Downers attempts at vaudeville or the matching outfits which they all seem to get at the various conferences.

“The average worker is screwed over by IR reforms,”

No he is not.

I would recall the Ajax fastener blokes are complaining about the $12 million of entitlements they are “owed”. If I were them, I would complain too. However, let us consider what these “entitlements” are really, holidays, holiday pay, LSL etc.

Unions have fought for off pay-packet benefits, which end up as promises of future intentions.

Vast amounts of “promises” are held in the Long Service Leave provisions of employers, carried as a non-current liability on the balance sheets of companies, oh and not assisted by any deferred tax benefit, such provisions being exempt for deductibility.
Should the employer go broke his capacity to discharge responsibility for the provisions usually follows him down the tubes.

If the employee had been paid up front and not the future beneficiary of convoluted union deals, he would, at least, have been paid instead of having his benefits disappear upon his employers insolvency.

My view and practice has always been, pay me cash and keep your promises. Hence, I invoice what my client owe me (and enforce 7 day credit terms), instead of receiving any weekly of fortnightly or monthly pay packet.

As for “I guess we can expect to see more of your ilk in here.”

Posting rates suggestion I have been here for a lot longer than you.

So far you have notched up about 75 posts and guess what, I see I have cracked the Big M (oh what a misspent life)

If posting record is anything to go by, and it is, I am “around here” a lot more than you.

So, YES, expect to see alot of "my ilk" now and into the future.

Have a nice day.
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 11 December 2006 2:04:48 PM
I think it goes much deeper than this - there are people in this culture who believe in a class system. They believe in Privilege and they believe in Slavery they have simply learnt to market these concepts better. For example, John Howard is currently pushing 'a fair go' as an Australian value yet Australian law makes it legal for one extremely wealthy person to go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning a million dollars richer because of what has happened on the NYSE overnight while a single mother of 5 who works 2 jobs as well as looking after her kids might not be able to afford to pay her phone bill and so is hit with an extra charge for late payment - is that really 'a fair go'?

If the government really believed in fairness it would enact laws that provide it, instead it produces laws which support privilege and compound poverty.
Posted by Rob513264, Tuesday, 12 December 2006 1:29:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy