The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Nuclear power why not

Nuclear power why not

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
first raised/..by thatcher..as a way..to shut down coal miners ...under the then guise of...global cooling...then ...it became warming..

but wouldnt you know it..we went through the cooling-stage..[temps didnt go up]

so..it became global-climate/change...the climate allways changes..[note winter/summer=climate change...they cant lose]but..you can/will

al-gore..owns one of the big..carbon-trading/houses...so he cleans up big-time.. when he pulls of his scam,

the scam is to get into..the tax payers purse...to get..a carbon credit[tax]...directly to big business...not via govt audit/process...but their hands direct in our pocketts..[on everything we buy and sell..

then limit the carbon credits..so they go up in price...25 to 50 bucks a ton..but we dont know what.....because govt gives them..to big business..then business..sells them on to forrest builders..[and the nuke industry/or wind power..

under the lie of green jobs...but while turbines wear out..solar cells just need to be dusted...spain went big on the green jobs...well the instalation of them[jobs] are gone..they have huge unemployment...because there aint no green jobs...

the sun /wind work for free...but..yet..power now cost double

the numbers have been wrong..[modeling is how they made the dinosaurs come to life in the movies]

this latest push... has the wiff of enron to it.

.[im noting big selloffs down under of electicity /water/roads etc]...but mostly how prices are rising fast for electricity/water/toll...all run by multinationals#

the whole issue is based on tissues of lies...there is no man made global warming...nukes are a finite resource...big business runs them for proffit...then goes bankrupt...

and guess who is left to pay for their cleanup...you sukkers...our biggest energy users are business [but they..get subsidised [ditto water]

we stopped using asbestos...when we found asbestosis in our media...when we hear of the radioactivity dumped globally..[in time] we will see we been scammed again...

damm your nukes...we dont need no more arms races

enough of big govt handing for proffit business cash handouts...no one can aford to build one privatly...govt allways subsidises...in this case they take the cxarbon credit/plus extra..govt subsidy...

a few multinational firms...coordinate the cash income..and bingo..cash flow till 30/50 years[maybe]..then govt cleans up the mess..dont say you didnt know
Posted by one under god, Friday, 21 August 2009 10:49:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fortunately WTF is wrong, Nuclear will give more than a century, as will coal, with no problems from either.

This is most fortunate, because none of this other stuff, wind, solar or hot rocks, used as we are currently trying, is going to cut it.

The proffit motive, rather than any government hand out, will lead to someone finding new power systems, quite possibly using the same gear, better.

Improvements in metallurgy, & lubrication, rather than mechanical design has seen an increase in the power output of the internal combustion engine of the order of 2000% in less than a hundred years.

I wonder what we will have learn before we will see the same increase in our ability to produce renewable power, in any realistic quantity.

Lets hope we don't waste too much effort, putting these useless windmills all over the place, in the meantime.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 22 August 2009 2:31:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen find the words stuck in my throat but I agree with you!
However why did you respond to WTF?
That name, the way it is intended to be read, and the way it is used shows you wasted your effort.
Just a rude dude on a mission was my only thought.
We will use this power, the world will we continue to find reasons to mine its basic needs and export them.
My hope?
Well one day in my view we will indeed find cleaner better fuels, maybe making this fuel unneeded sooner rather than letter lets hope I am right.
PS my spell check had the last word on finding WTF it gave me only one choice that I wanted ignore.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 22 August 2009 6:02:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So uranium lasts 100 years.
Then what?
So coal lasts 200 years.
Then what?
When I was a teenager in the 70's, I had no fear of going bald. We'd just put a man on the moon for God's sake. A cure for baldness had to be too easy.
We need existing power supplies to create alternatives. If we wait until existing power supplies run out...
Our grandchildren are screwed.
Posted by Grim, Saturday, 22 August 2009 7:27:58 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
WTF?
Hasbeen said "Nuclear will give more than a century, as will coal, with no problems from either."
You have been duped.
Maybe we should take a vote. All those who agree that there are no problems with coal and nuclear materials being used for energy please post.
If anyone can put forward even one factual statement to prove that there are NO PROBLEMS with either energy source then I will make this my last post on OLO.
Posted by WTF?, Saturday, 22 August 2009 9:38:22 AM
WTF? can you put forward a post which proves that there are no problems with any specific energy source. No problems is a really big call. All the alternative energy sources which I know of still have negative consequences.

The issue becomes one of weighing the benefits vs the downside and trying to make reasonable decisions about what works. Unless we come up with a silver bullet (zero contamination fusion?) what we need will probably be a mix of technologies. I hope that we don't need fission mostly because of the waste issue but I also hope we don't need every hillside covered in wind generators, every powerfull river dammed for hydro, vast area's of the desert covered in thermal collection stations.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 22 August 2009 10:48:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All