The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Kyle and Jackie O - a win for public opinion.

Kyle and Jackie O - a win for public opinion.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 32
  8. 33
  9. 34
  10. All
Last week, as I'm sure most of us are aware, a radio show called the Kyle and Jackie O Show who regularly held an item featuring a 'lie detector' ran with a mother who had various questions regarding her 14 year old daughter's ... 'extra curricular activities'.

The daughter was forced to admit live on air that she had been raped as a 12 year old. The mother knew of the alleged rape two months before coming on air.

The furore began when Kyle Sandilands stated straight after the admission, "Right, so is that the only experience you've had?".

IMO, the furore began when they approved questioning a minor about illegal activities and passing it off as entertainment to thousands of listeners...

ANYWAY, I personally watched Twitter, where the topic reached number 1 'Trend' for that evening over ANY OTHER topic on Twitter, The Punch (where Sandilands retorted questioning by the public with "Get over it"), and various other websites where coordinated efforts were made to protest the show's sponsors, Austereo, ACMA and others.

The end result is the Kyle and Jackie O Show being taken off air and Sandilands having just been dropped from Australian Idol knocking on the head a 4 million dollar a year career for the foreseeable future.

A GREAT win for people power.
Posted by StG, Monday, 3 August 2009 5:53:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah, thanks for saving us all from the horrible clutches of Kyle Sandilands.

I'm glad you feel happy StG, personally I doubt anyone will notice the difference after he's gone.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 4 August 2009 10:12:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I asked this earlier on another thread but no one seemed to be too interested in it: if the girl had not claimed rape would the uproar have been as great? If not, why?

If it turns out the claim is false, does that make it somehow less bad?

While the show is obviously in appalling taste, was the girl genuinely compelled or coerced to take part or was her cooperation gained with some inducement? If coercion, is anyone being charged?

It seems to me that there are lots of assumptions and lots of hot air and a lot of publicity for Kyle and Jackie O...
Posted by Antiseptic, Tuesday, 4 August 2009 10:44:19 AM
While we're on the subject of bad behaviour, what to do about Russell Crowe, Gordon Ramsay and Anthony "The Mouth" Mundine?

As long as the public has its addiction to facile in-your-face TV shows like breakfast TV on channel 7 and 9, we're going to keep on getting served up such trashy types. Not to mention the "celebrity" program hosts etc.
Posted by RobP, Tuesday, 4 August 2009 12:17:36 PM
I guess this matters to me to the extent that I know (let alone care) who Kyle Sandilands is.

Since I did not know before and am indifferent to knowing now...

maybe the sooner this sad exercise in mediocrity is left to its wandering, aimlessly through the great hall of total oblivion, for all eternity...

the better
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 4 August 2009 1:01:37 PM
Posted by Antiseptic

"If it turns out the claim is false, does that make it somehow less bad?"

No. The issue of whether the alleged rape actually occurred is completely irrelevant to the issue of Sandilands and Jackie O and their show and shouldn't be pursued by anyone other the relevant authorities.

Posted by Col. Rouge

"maybe the sooner this sad exercise in mediocrity is left to its wandering, aimlessly through the great hall of total oblivion, for all eternity..."

It's important that what passes as entertainment gets kept in check and highlighted as not acceptable when the need arises. If we do it then others like The Chasers War on Everything (who are gone too) as well know there IS ACTUALLY a boundary and what happens when you spend too much time pushing it.

If only we did the same with politicians and sports people.
Posted by StG, Tuesday, 4 August 2009 1:44:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 32
  8. 33
  9. 34
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy