The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What's the real reason? or Have I gone to the darkside?

What's the real reason? or Have I gone to the darkside?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
As anyone who has read my posts knows I believe in land rights and support the aboriginal culture.
However on a recent Q&A an issue was raised i.e. that of the declaration Wild rivers in Nth Qld.

The indigenous representative gave off a lot of heat but little substance as to her objections to the declaration.

If what Premier Bligh said was true of over 100 consultations with at least one of over 300 indigenous attendees spanning a number of years and that the misinformation about activities being spread makes one wonder what was the representatives real point?

It seems that her whole complaint was that her people (how many(?) want the right to exploit at *their* discretion. i.e. the govt must get *their* approval.

Given that their culture is based on hunter gatherer it would seem that conservation is in their cultural interests (preserving not destroying Status Quo ). Isn't this THE REASON WHY LAND RIGHTS WAS INSTITUTED, RESPECT FOR THAT CULTURE.
Bligh made it clear to me that the indigenous could run commercial activities. What was the point of the outburst.

I wonder if her cries aren't simply special pleading an *exclusive* grab for cash, a white-man's cultural power play or is there more to it? Their actions seem to be contrary to the above goals.

Given impending AGW and the Govt's responsibility to the good of everyone I wonder at if development of the land given it is contrary to the culture: shouldn't they be subject to the similar rules as everyone else.
What do you think.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 31 July 2009 6:46:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Watch it examinator, you can get too close to the truth.
In this case I sit side by side with you.
The questions have to be answered, like you my form is very much as a supporter not detractor of Aboriginal rights.
But cash is behind an increasing amount of claims.
Well we must both prepare now for the insults and slanders that will come our way, truth sometimes costs.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 1 August 2009 5:50:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
who-so-ever gets the water...got the cash...so much better some multinational banker gets it [right?]

the question is really who will sell it on for the best price...because with control comes the right to sell it to who-ever

its just fine for farmers to steal most of australia
or for miners

but the uppity blacks/...what..they think they own this land?

come on..get real as the century changes..
that which might be..to that which can never be..it just wont be allowed to happen[and if it did...its only because they got a way to get the cheaper price

this is the age of international water cartels
tell her she's dreaming...or working on getting it for less...by those who seek control over all water

anyhow..the same moneyed elite..will yet get it..from whoever the middle man/..[or woman].. turns out to be

i seen it all before
fool me once shame on me
fool me twice shame on you...systemised abuse revealed and reviled

yeah i know its backwards...
but if the pres cant get it right why the heck should i

i know some international cartel will get it eventually

its just..going via the blacks that cleans the title...just like land rights..[cleans the title...then the lawyers sell it to the banks..[via a default of the land held as a loan/..security for the unpaid loan for a 4 wheel drive...[that broke down in the desert]..that saw the land get gobbled up by the mulitnationalist banker
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 1 August 2009 8:14:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I laughed at the kooris decrying the loss of possible development opportunities. There is a reason the whiteys havent developed far nth qld and the local blackfellers havent got a hope in hell of anything other than a vibrant tourist economy. Which the wild rivers scheme would support admirably.

Since when did the kooris want to be farmers and entrepreneurs anyway. Land rights was supposed to be about cultural integrity and not losing their heritage. Not becoming the newest breed of property developers and exploiters.
Posted by mikk, Saturday, 1 August 2009 11:04:34 AM
Despite what believers (and there are still plenty of them)
of the Noble Savage Myth would have you think
conservation is a modern concept in human social development.

Murri culture has always used a burn-it-out, consume the protein food
source and move on approach in the gulf and cape.

Modern notions of conservation are at odds with this Murri culture –
hence the fracture in the usually strong green/black alliance over
this issue.

There are still so many sad little power plays taking place – banning
the transport of grog in vehicles traversing a dry community-
that it will be a long time before this issue is resolved.
Posted by The Observer, Saturday, 1 August 2009 11:25:18 AM
Come on you lot, it really is simple.

That awful woman has just decided that there are more green votes, than black, in locking up those rivers.

I can't believe anyone, no matter how simple, could believe any other thought ever entered her head.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 1 August 2009 2:59:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy