The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Animal welfare V Food production. Where do we draw the line!

Animal welfare V Food production. Where do we draw the line!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The old animal wefare lobby is at it again and this time they may be looking into food production and the well being of the animals it deploys.

Now while I dislike cruelty to animals, food production is a whole differnt ball game.

Ban live exports, for sure, they cost us many jobs, but ban many ways that our food is supplied, now your stepping on thin ice.

Either we produce affordable foods, or risk an influx of imported, often sub standard food stuffs.

Battery hens know no different, they are bred for food.

Pigs are also bred for food, they are not pets, nor should they be treated as such.

Now by all means go after those who disobey the laws, but seriously, just because you don't like eggs from caged birds, doesn't give you the right to make our eggs un-affordable to most people.

Food production must stay affordable, or we will all suffer.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 29 July 2009 8:16:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rehctub
"Now while I dislike cruelty to animals, food production is a whole differnt ball game."

Why is it a different ball game? You either dislike cruelty to animals or you don't there is no middle ground.

Not everything that is important comes down to jobs or profits. Prices, economic fluctuations are all human constructs capable of adaptation.

Slavery was banned because it was inhumane and morally bankrupt. The effect on the economy was irrelevant.

"If only we can overcome cruelty, to human and animal, with love and compassion we shall stand at the threshold of a new era in human moral and spiritual evolution - and realize, at last, our most unique quality: humanity."
Jane Goodall

“Very little of the great cruelty shown by men can really be attributed to cruel instinct. Most of it comes from thoughtlessness or inherited habit. The roots of cruelty, therefore, are not so much strong as widespread. But the time must come when inhumanity protected by custom and thoughtlessness will succumb before humanity championed by thought. Let us work that this time may come.“
Albert Schweitzer
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 29 July 2009 11:04:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well perhaps this should be approached from another angle, that being that before we alter the ways that our food is produced, we place a total ban on imported animal food products. Maybe this is a better way. At least then we have the choice to grow our own if we can't afford to buy farmed products.

At the moment one can still buy eggs for under $3, imagine if the only ones available were 'free range'. Firstly, the price would go from say $4.50 to more like $6 or $7 due to a monopoly. Many people simply would have to go without.

At the moment (in brisbane) you cannot have hens if your lot is under 600m2, yet, there is a constant push for smaller lots, even as small as 300m2, all in the name of 'high density living'.

Maybe these laws need to be addressed in the process. As a kid I remember having chickens, turkeys, even a pig or two. What was wrong with those days. I think mum bought eggs once or twice a year.

What I am getting at is you can't just change things without offering an affordable alternative, hopefully not imported.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 30 July 2009 5:58:38 AM
I say there should be a shift to the naturally occurring meat sauce.
Donkey, Camel, Feral pig, Kangaroo, Emu. All of these valuable meat supplies end up overseas. We should be eating our own. The consumption of a 4 month old animal, like lamb is disgusting.
Posted by Desmond, Thursday, 30 July 2009 8:21:10 AM
People should be forced to slaughter and eat their pets until they are all gone, thereby giving their non-pet owning neighbours some peace and quiet.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 30 July 2009 10:59:49 AM
I tend to agree with rehctub, farm animals have been bred and cross bred to suit human desires for meat (taste and tenderness) for generations similarly horses as used for racing and riding (and eating, if you are french or desperate).

I despise wanton cruelty but the notion of ascribing to a chook an appreciation of its environment, culture and life expectations, similar to a human, is bizarre to the point of being demented.

I personally enjoy kangaroo meat. It might be an acquired taste, being particualrly lean and flavourful but it is a taste I have acquired.

The alternate to PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 30 July 2009 11:14:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy