The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > reforestation versus logging

reforestation versus logging

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
While we are chopping down trees on forests we should try our best to redevelop reforestartion in desert areas. This should be a world wide process and all people should contribute in a similar way to a universal GST. In Australia it is feasible to develop a very wide strip from north to south and reforest it with suitable eucalyptus trees and employ natives planning also to expand it from there with roads development, water by pipeline and power lines with electricity produced with tides to assist future mine developments. African deserts need dune stabilising and planting can be feasible there with underground water.

giannid
Posted by giannid, Wednesday, 17 June 2009 11:52:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why go for the hard stuff first?
Lets get the easy stuff, the low hanging fruit.
Much of our land is unfit for farming or houses, lets grow plantation timber there now.
Here I will get a kicking from greens but some of our country is unproductive.
No wildlife no timber of worth , why not improve it by pumping sewage inland rather than into the sea?
Plant Australian timber, introduce wildlife and take only some timber.
No tree, unless on land that is to be used for another purpose should be removed without two more being planted.
Have not seen you on forum if you are new welcome, if not good thread
Posted by Belly, Friday, 19 June 2009 5:27:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Giannid.
There was some scientist some twenty odd years ago who suggested a channel from Adelaide to Darwin for that purpose.
I like many others who invested in tree planting schemes some thirty-five years ago had this patriotic idea of replanting old cattle grazing areas around Tumbarumba, it happened I assure you. Well established pine plantation which we visited regularly it was a vision to behold...until a few years ago when we were told the plantation was sold to another company who started to harvest the matured trees before we were informed. There went my retirement fund.
The only way it could work is when we get a busload of tourists come through a particular area loaded with a tree or two each or some native seeds and some shovels, to do that job as a favour for their passage, so when they come back they can take some pics etc
Posted by eftfnc, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 1:49:47 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy