The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Jump at it?

Jump at it?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Should we be farming roos?
Reasons:
The meat is healthier than most normal stock meat.
The animals impact the environment far less.
They breed faster than normal stock
They need far less water

And those are just the first ones I thought of.
We would need to make some adjustments, bigger paddocks, higher fencing etc, yet we could easily selectively breed them to be larger and less able to jump high, or any other trait we found useful.
Food for thought?
Posted by Maximillion, Saturday, 13 June 2009 10:37:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If we do it will not look like conventional farming.
In fact we can farm them from the wild, we do now.
If the killing Bambi mob let us.
I eat Roo meat, in fact other than fish and chicken it is the only meat in my freezer.
Must admit its a recent thing, but its healthy and has helped me in a diet that sees weight loss from 132kgs to 103 and falling.
Only 2% fat it is full of goodness, look to be honest it is different, not the taste that saw me swell out to that weight but its ok.
Fact is we have far more Roo,s now than when white men first came to Australia.
A side issue must be confronted, those opposed to meat eating need to tell us what we do with cattle sheep pigs if we do not eat them.
Roos? again what is the difference between a leather hand bag made from cow hide and one made from Roo skin?
A quick look at the dead Roos in drought country may refocus some on reality, we and every animal die in time.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 14 June 2009 6:04:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maximillion, kangaroos have been farmed sustainably without fences by Aborigines for the past 50,000 years under governance by agreement between the equivalence of women's and men's legislatures.

reform Australia's Constitution to provide for a women's legislature and all Australians can do exactly the same for the next 50,000 years.
Posted by whistler, Sunday, 14 June 2009 1:05:15 PM
They didn't farm them, they hunted them. The men did, the women gathered other foods, that's why they were defined as "hunter-gatherers". Equivalent Aboriginal legislatures? LOL! Read history, not whatever you are reading!
Posted by Maximillion, Sunday, 14 June 2009 1:10:24 PM
Dear Max,

May I refer you and others to the website
of the Australian Government's Department
of Foreign Affairs and Trade:

http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/kangaroos.html

Kangaroos.

The Department tells us that," All Australian
States and Territories have legislation to
protect kangaroos, and only the four most
abundant species and small numbers of two common
wallaby species can be commercially harvested for
export, and then only by licensed hunters in
accordance with an approved management plan."

The species they list are:
1) Red Kangaroo
2) Eastern Grey Kangaroo
3) Western Grey Kangaroo,
4) Common Wallaroo (Euro)
5) Bennetts Wallaby
6) Pademelon (a type of wallaby)

I was surprised to learn that the Australian
Kangaroo industry began exporting kangaroo meat
to Europe in 1959, and continues to the present day.

"Quotas are set on the basis of population size and
trends..."

And, "Conservation of the species remains the foremost
consideration."

Anyway, go to the website - interesting stuff.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 14 June 2009 4:35:56 PM
Forget the Roos. Why make yet another species live in unatural misery?

Soylent Green would be the way to go.
Posted by Jewely, Sunday, 14 June 2009 6:46:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy