The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > a local conundrum a moral test

a local conundrum a moral test

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
eAnt has a conundrum.
Next door he has one of those neighbours. She is now trying to sell up Yeees!
The people who are looking to buy are chatty and are fishing for details on the house.
Does he tell them that the pool leaks,
The pump need bearings and is on its last legs that the owner
Has hidden potentially serious subsidence,
The plumbing is plumbed illegally in that pool salt water goes directly into the environment. (illegal)
She is about to be served a notice to cut some trees down as they are intruding on other peoples land etc.
she has white ants in the back fence.
A friend of Nude nut asked the agent but none of the above is mentioned.
a. does he next time they ask does he stop being coy and tell the buyers?
b. lie! potentially making an enemy when they find out he knew.
c. say nothing just be glad the lady and her obnoxious sons are moving also potentially making an enemy when they find out he knew.
Which would you do and why ?
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 30 April 2009 6:12:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What an awful dilemma! And I know it well. I have an obnoxious sod next door to me. This Jekyll and Hyde character is a teacher, AND a damn feral in his leisure time.

He? must tell them. I have huge sympathy for this situation, but the positions could be reversed. He would want to know.

If this woman really wants to sell, she will eventually be forced into selling more cheaply, because the problems are exposed, particularly if someone were to tip-off the Council.....
Posted by Ginx, Thursday, 30 April 2009 10:43:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear examinator,

Frankly I'm quite amazed that eAnt knows so much
about what's wrong with his neighbour's property.
So much detail. I wouldn't have a clue about the
state of any of my neighbours' properties.
Or what they're actually doing in their backyards.

I think this is one decision you can't make for him.
It's up to him to decide. Does he want his pesky
neighbour to leave? Personally, I think
volunteering stuff about neighbours may produce other
unforseen complications. I would seriously hesitate
taking any course of action.

But, it's his call. Personally, I'd stay out of it.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 30 April 2009 11:19:17 PM
No conundrum really, the best course of action is of course to advise the potential neighbours to get a full pest and building inspection and that should tell them what they need to know.

The upshot of this is of course, that whatever the building inspectors tell them they will then have to live with, the inspectors will also give them an estimate on what it may cost to rectify defects on the property. If the property is at the right price then may buy it anyway. It is not your place to give what is essentially professional advice. If they are asking you, maybe they are cheapskates and don't want to pay for what they should be to protect themselves when buying a property. Would they be much better than the current ones if that is the case?

Caveat emptor. Not your problem.
Posted by Bugsy, Thursday, 30 April 2009 11:19:51 PM
Dear examinator,

I think Bugsy's advice is excellent.

All eAnt needs to do, as Bugsy suggests - is
advise his potention neighbours to have a
Building Inspection.

The inspectors will do the rest.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 30 April 2009 11:34:31 PM
Foxy, what a nasty, hypocritical passive-aggressive approach. "It's not my doing, it was the inspectors", all the while feeling suitably virtuous no doubt and telling the neighbour how you can't understand how they found out...

If he has an ounce of ethical fibre he'll tell them. I was placed in a similar position last year when I terminated the lease on my business premises, mostly because the landlord wouldn't do necessary repairs, such as guttering and a leaky roof.

They decided to sell and advertised before I left, with the agent asking if I'd mind if he directed interested parties to the property, to which I agreed.

My policy was this, in regard to answering their questions: if they asked, I told. There were no hidden problems; the roof leaks required one to either get there in the rain or climb onto the roof, but it was otherwise an "honest" building

Out of about 8 potential buyers, 6 asked and were told. The other two were just tyre-kickers anyway, or worked it out for themselves, since they never made an offer apparently. One of those I told eventually bought the place, for what seemed like far too much to me (and the Agent). If she tried to sell now, 12 months later, I suspect she'd be very unhappy.

My point is that if you are going to do what you regard as the ethical thing, have the courage of your convictions. Hiding behind someone else is simply morally gutless.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 1 May 2009 5:19:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy