The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Anzac Spirit vs Eureka Spirit

Anzac Spirit vs Eureka Spirit

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I have been struck for a long time by the Government’s overt PR push for ‘the Anzac Spirit’ to be regarded as the truly ‘iconic’ Australian Spirit and anyone who denies that is just well, Un-Australian.

Well, they would push that image wouldn’t they? Millions of peasants going overseas to fight through the mud, blood, vomit and diarrhoea to preserve the powers of the governing classes back at home who didn’t even send their sons to war. That works rather well for the governing classes – hardly surprising they spruik it. John Howard's attitude to war is a little like his attitude to cricket - he likes to watch.

I however would like to promote another courageous stand as representing our national iconic spirit – the spirit of the Eureka Stockade where ordinary men and women stood against the tyrannical exploitation of the workers by the wealthy and the corruption intrinsic in policing forces whose pay is controlled by the governing classes.

The Eureka Spirit – to me that is a better representation of an iconic Australian Attitude - what do you all think?.
Posted by Rob513264, Thursday, 30 November 2006 11:41:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rob.... the rich not sending their sons to fight is not a new thing.
Read Josephus account of the fall of Jerusalem in ad70, it says the same thing. The rich merchants etc paid poor youths to fight in place of their sons.

Knowing this, its a wonder anyone is willing to fight 'for their country'.

Today, I didn't see much Anzac spirit at the Industrial Relations Protest in Melbourne. But I did see a lot of totally brainwashed zombies who are passionate that John Howard is the reason they have no job security and that conditions accrued by unions pandering to personal greed over a long period of time are being challenged by Employers who have a lot more choice in 'where' they locate their operations compared to the days when these conditions were decided.

There was a lot of symbolism there.. trying to capitalize on the 'Eureka Spirit' but all I saw was a desperate attempt by increasingly irrelevant unions to cling to what little power they have left and are using the Howard IR laws to do this.

I suppose the other side of the Anzac events, was indeed the bravery and self sacrifice of those young men. It matters not that it was in Turkey, the Ottoman empire would have encompassed Australia given the half chance.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 30 November 2006 8:00:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"the spirit of the Eureka Stockade where ordinary men and women stood against the tyrannical exploitation of the workers by the wealthy and the corruption intrinsic in policing forces whose pay is controlled by the governing classes"

This is the similar to the "spirit" that the Gurinji knew all to well (albeit much more ancient and grounded in Aboriginal soveriegnty) when they walked off Wave Hill Station.

See this link: http://www.greenleft.org.au/1995/197/11483

While you're at it learn something about Aboriginal slavey (yes it happened here too!) here: http://www.eniar.org/news/pdfs/stolenwagesfacts.pdf
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 30 November 2006 10:13:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 30 November 2006 10:13:06 PM
While you're at it learn something about Aboriginal slavey (yes it happened here too!)

So did white slavery - my ancestor was transported given 6 years hard labour for the crime of 'stealing a gentleman's handkerchief'. The transport of 'convicts' for use in building the new colony was just 'slavery with an excuse'. This is the one issue I find myself returning to a lot when dealing with Aboriginal issues - it is assumed that 'white people' were one tribe but the white people in chains had more in common with the black people in chains that they did with their white overlords.
Posted by Rob513264, Friday, 1 December 2006 1:52:29 AM
I will never understand the fuss about Gallipoli, where we had the crap beaten out of us by the Turks.

As for Eureka, well a lot of people from all over the world had the crap beaten out of them, too, by redcoats.

I don't see much sense in making a hoo-ha about either event, Rob.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 1 December 2006 9:30:51 AM
I'm with you there Leigh. We seem too desperate to find some momentous historical occasion to mark our coming of age.

Gallipoli is supposed to be important because we were blooded, but most seem to think we were dudded.

The only really significant spirit in our history was rum, but that probably wouldn't go down too well in tourism ads.
Posted by chainsmoker, Friday, 1 December 2006 2:23:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy