The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Swine flu. How serious is this going to be?

Swine flu. How serious is this going to be?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All
Predictably enough, I am right there with PF on this. Rechtub, with all due respect, can you tell us how many intensive pig farms you have seen? And of course it is much nicer for you to believe APL's propaganda, since you buy/sell such products. There are some truly intensive appalling pig farms; one not that far away from where I am where Departmental officers recently had to go in and shoot a number of the pigs, so ill and injured were they. That particular 'farmer' sells to Woolworths and the conditions were reported as being "absolutely filthy".

Having said that, I do agree about the privileged agriculture sector; those of the rest of us who have businesses which fall on hard times do not receive such handouts.

Sorry, One Under God, I couldn't understand very much of your post; cryptic would be an understatement. But it ia hardly rocket science figuring that distressed animals, loaded with chemicals/medication, crammed into airless sheds with no natural light or fresh air or opportunity to just be pigs (or chickens), are going to trigger some form of zoonotic disease; be at pigs or chickens.

A recent news report showed that Christian enclaves in Egypt where pigs are farmed has been a shocking victim of this; the pigs were rounded up, thrown into trucks, later dragged out and smashed against walls to kill them. Hardly seems fair, since the animals have not caused this.

Nicky
Posted by Nicky2, Tuesday, 5 May 2009 11:19:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
nicky2 scroll up just before halfway you will see i there posted specific links[hardly cryptic when the links spell out the whole scam]

but like most respondants you dont bother reading that proof

on the other redirect[yes there are some barbaric animal husbandry practices, because doing the right thing for the beasts costs money[and the likes of wool-lies,dont pay full/price..[while they can get some vile pervert to grow their meat by employing barbaric cruelties]

never the less virus dont spontaniously appear,they need a source[that source usually is some vacine]the main vector[historiclly]as revealed by the links

[and the links provide the true source,isnt the animals but human swine,..in laboritries paid to eliminate any alternative food supply[paid to get everyone..[yes even in time yabby]..out of food supply] so we cant grow our own..so in time we will work for food

read the link..how many of the lab coated bio engeneer-[rats]died,once their vile work was done[the elites that plan to genocide us have no concious]..

but you will persist in ignoring the links..[and im over posting them..look just go get your soon to be compulsory vacine
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 6 May 2009 12:04:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Our piggeries are the cleanest in the world...."

That is not correct Rehctub. In fact past footage, provided by the Australian press revealed the true state of industrialised pig farming in Australia which is a bloody disgrace. Following is one of the more recent cases of cruelty to pigs, which has landed in court and where the perpetrators will get the obligatory slap on the wrist.

The defendants in this case house 40,000 pigs on site every day which is sheer lunacy and a recipe for disaster.

And the current swine flu is not the first triple hybrid human/bird/pig flu virus to have been uncovered. The first was found in a North Carolina industrial pig farm in 1998, and within a year it had spread across the United States.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuId=146&ContentID=132383
Posted by Protagoras, Wednesday, 6 May 2009 1:09:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nicky:“A recent news report showed that Christian enclaves in Egypt where pigs are farmed has been a shocking victim of this; the pigs were rounded up, thrown into trucks, later dragged out and smashed against walls to kill them. Hardly seems fair, since the animals have not caused this.”

Does Australia export pigs? I’m going cross eyed looking up sites that explain how we treat our animals, it is also very confusing. I found sheep and cattle being sent places alive which I don’t understand because wouldn’t a country make more money if they did the killing, skinning, chopping up and packaging themselves?

If we don’t like imports that lead our own businesses to lose profit and also we maybe don’t trust the integrity of products is there also no concern that we send our own creatures to be treated in a way we can’t control. Going back to throwing pigs against walls in Egypt, their country, their pigs so their call but do we send our animals to places to be killed in a way that we ourselves would see as illegal/barbaric?

I guess the ethical question isn’t something I really have a good grasp on yet but the business side of transporting any animal overseas in any other form apart from chopped and frozen does not seem to make any sense.
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 6 May 2009 12:23:20 PM
Rehctub:”Our piggeries are the cleanest in the world and remember, they are purpose bred for 'food'. They are not pets, nor should they be treated as such. There is no difference between a farmer growing barramundi and one growing pigs. They both do it for a living and supply the demand.”

Oh, you seem to have missed something important. Pigs like rolling in mud, they are very social. I’m a bit of a sucker for pigs, I had a pet pig who I must say was rather spoilt, her name was "Sausage". And I did grow up eating all my pet sheep.

So they are sterile here, great, cleanest pigs in the world, never see a germ come out of an Australian piggery… just miserable animals, to make a profit. Isn’t this shameful?

Was watching something on TV the other night and a comment was made about how we can judge a society by how they treat their dead. Made me roll my eyes, I think it would be more accurate to judge a society by how we treat all things living.

“If you animal welfare lot had your way we would be growing our 'food animals' in air-conditioned resorts, which may be a good idea except the consumer just won't pay the price.”

I like kittens and puppies etc but I am guessing the animal welfare remark was aimed elsewhere. Consumers will always pay whatever the price says; we are not in a bartering country. Do we need “state fixed” pricing just to stop our food animals being miserable?

Without law are we incapable of being decent?
(This question should probably be another whole thread aye)
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 6 May 2009 12:29:31 PM
Predictably enough, I am right there with PF on this. Rechtub, with all due respect, can you tell us how many intensive pig farms you have seen?

Hey, we can all find an isolated case of abuse if we look hard enough. I am reffering to our industry as a whole.

Oh, you seem to have missed something important. Pigs like rolling in mud,
Well, as you mentioned it, pigs are actually a clean animal, much cleaner than dogs. They would be just as happy lazing around in your pool as in the mud.

just miserable animals, to make a profit. Isn’t this shameful?
Ok, so I assume you work. Do you go to work to make a proffit (wage)

Now I am the first to agree that 'cowboys', in any industry should be prosecuted. The same as many butchers add preservatives and ofal to the mince they sell. It doesn't mean we are all bad, does it!

As long as there is a huge demand for food and consumers want the best price, short cuts will always occurr.

And for the record, I don't hate animals and I do feel for the ones who have to endure cruelty, but not all are like this.

By all means stamp out the cowboys, you have my full support and I support you 100% on a total ban on live exports.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 6 May 2009 7:24:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy