The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How would you define 'Trolling?'

How would you define 'Trolling?'

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
I've scrawled a few websites and they define
'trolling,' as:

1) "The act of purposefully antagonizing
other people on the internet..."

2) "The act of appearing on internet forums
with malicious intent..."

How can any of these things be proven?
Could it be that what we suspect as "trolling,"
is simply our own bias coming out against the
opinions of others that differ from our own?

Your thoughts on this topic please.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 24 April 2009 11:52:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
YES. I've always believed that we define a troll as one who differs from our opinion, AND persists in doing so.

What a damned nuisance they are!!.!!.......!

( Gotyer' you exclamation mark monitor you!!.............!!
Posted by Ginx, Saturday, 25 April 2009 3:26:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think number one fits the most common definition of trolling.

Posting with malicious intent is defensible in the name of free speech. However, malicious posters frequently refuse to justify their malice, and persist with arguments that are easily and routinely disproven.

You can only point out that 2+2 does not, in fact, equal 5 so many times before frustration turns to abuse, at which point the discussion begins to look like the product of a deliberate troll.
Posted by Sancho, Saturday, 25 April 2009 3:49:38 PM
Trolling is an intention or an exuce to block people's posts who does not like,for one milion reasons.
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Saturday, 25 April 2009 4:11:38 PM
Foxy,
Simple look under Billy Goat Gruff's Bridge :-) he he he he.

I view trolling as one line highly provocatively/negative/nasty response without any explanation or substance to permit a rebuttal i.e. "Only an idiot would believe this" or "more of Kevin/Malcolm's crap" etc.

Introducing topics that are stalking horses for topics that have been already been debated and or interrupting a topic to continue a debate on a separate/unrelated issue i.e. justifying a comment in a previous unrelated topic. or axe grinding.
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 25 April 2009 4:35:49 PM
Foxy,
I thought that your No1 "The act of purposely antagonising others on the internet" Was called flaming.

I think a troll is someone who persistantly raises the same topic.

However I would like to see Graham's view on this term, after all he decides whats allowable and what is not.

What anoys me is that one cannot express a contrary view on subjects like illegal immigrants, multiculturalism, forced marriages, high immigration or allowed FGM, without being immediatly being labeled a racist, right wing,islamphobic or xenaphobic by CJM, Sancho or Ginx. These will not argue the issue but use personal attack to try and intimidate.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 25 April 2009 5:07:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy